Melt

Contact 513-681-6358

4165 Hamilton Ave, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 45223

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar food with several veggie items. Try the Tempeh Pesto Club. Brunch on Sunday. Casual setup. No alcohol. Wheelchair ramp available - just ask the staff to bring it out. Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by VeggieOption

Melt in your mouth - vegan goodness - Edit

I'm visiting in Cincinnati and came here with my boyfriend. I ordered the Philly cheeze 'steak' made with seitan and homemade cheeze, smothered in onions and peppers on a toasted baguette. IT WAS DELICIOUS. The cheeze was incredibly tasty as well as the seitan. I ordered the kale slaw as my side (since the buffalo mac n cheeze contains dairy...bummer). I loved all of it. We grabbed a vegan dark chocolate cupcake to go before we left and it definitely didn't disappoint. Very rich and decadent. I'd suggest this place to any vegan wanting comfort food.

Pros: Homemade vegan cheese, Staff is knowledgeable and friendly, A good amount of vegan options

Cons: Buffalo mac-n-cheeze is only vegetarian, Serves non-vegan items aswell, Not very creative with its vegan menu

Really ok. - Edit

Their vegan philly and cheese sauce are both pretty awesome but everything else is just so so - not a lot of flavor to speak of (even in the curry potato salad.) They offer sun chips with every sandwich, kind of a weird option, why not just corn tortilla chips?

Pros: Awesome Vegan Philly, Fantastic Vegan Queso/Cheese Sauce

Cons: Not a lot of flavor/spice

Vegan options with a side of food... - Edit

I ordered the veggie steak which came with a side of sun chips. I ate half of it and had to stop. I assumed it was just indigestion but about 20 minutes after we left I felt awful! I got really quiet on the ride home and my husband looked over to see me red faced and sweating. Thank god he pulled over. I'll leave it at that. NEVER AGAIN! [edit by staff - see ToS]

Pros: none

Cons: Dirty kitchen, Rude staff, Disgusting Food

Melt: flexible, satisfying, yummy - Edit

A flexible place to eat at for vegans and non-vegans. I don't feel like I'm limiting my boyfriend's options (he's an omnivore) and I like that it's encouraged to switch out meat for vegan options like tempeh and tofu. I had a BBQ sandwich with tempeh here and it was much better tasting than my two attempts at using it at home. Reasonably priced, I think I usually spend $20 to $25 for two people. And I get to bring leftovers. The decorations are great, my boyfriend and I love messing with the word magnets. One issue is the tables are cramped and they seem pretty weak.

Pros: Good way to try new vegan substitutes, Sides are yummy

Cons: Lots of meat (if you're opposed to a business usin

Veg-friendly Staple - Edit

Me and my partner love going to this place. My faves are the veggie cheesesteak and chili. You have to specify vegan on the sandwich I'm pretty sure. I usually ask for lightly toasted as well. This place was the first restaurant I found with vegan options nine years ago. It holds a special place in my heart. Before Melt I was just eating vegan hotdogs. I like how they like to use whole foods, too. And how when you step in you know it's one of the anchors in Northside linked with Sidewinder, a coffee shop down the street and the Northside Tavern next door. Melt also has vegan cupcakes and other various vegan desserts which are hard to find at veg-friendly places.

Pros: veggie cheesesteak, vegan mac, vegan desserts

vegan options, but lotsa animal flesh too - Edit

So, I took a two hour test around the corner that had me tasting beer at 10am. (Yes, really.) I quickly needed something on my stomach after this, and Melt was close.

I'm definitely sympathetic to, and really appreciate, Happy Cow being very careful about not including many non-veg*n restaurants.

Melt is a funny in-between: they certainly have a number of vegan substitution options, and claim they can make almost anything vegan, but I would respectfully disagree with the previous reviewer: this place is not "amazingly" vegan friendly.

Of their ten signature baked sandwiches, zero are vegan by default, and only three of them indicate on the menu that vegan substitutions are available. Two of the five wraps indicate vegan options.

They were very friendly, and I'm sure they could substitute on most of the other items, but at the real risk of taking away the flavors the chef intended for the food.

One positive is that both of their cheese substitutes are housemade.

My veggie cheesesteak was reasonably tasty if a little boring, my extra side of the Rubykraut made it more interesting. The Rubykraut is supposedly cabbage and apples; no apples were in sight. It was a small portion in a portion cup for the uptick of $1.50.

My sandwich was sufficiently filling, but certainly not an enormous portion.

The side (brand name) Sun Chips were fine, but it only occured to me after eating a few that I didn't know which flavor of Sun Chips it was, and whether it has dairy.

Frankly, the default side of brand name, out of house chips is pretty weak for an $8.50 sandwich. (Adding one of the house made sides costs an additional $1.50.)

It was slammed when I was there, but I was in just after noon on a beautiful, hot Saturday. Service was friendly. Parking was tough on the street, but easy right around the corner on a side street.

I'm able bodied, but I would second another reviewer's note that handicapped accessibility is tough. The hallway with the bathrooms that goes to the extra seating in the back is also the (very busy) service and food running hallway, and the bathroom access.

Brunch looked interesting, with five out of ten mains indicating a vegan option.

I probably wouldn't go back unless I was in the neighborhood again and hungry. It's just too much dead animal, and not enough expressly vegan options on the menu.
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 18, 2015

Pros: friendly, tasty, some vegan options

Cons: not enough expressly vegan options, fairly expensive for what you get, lots of dead animal flesh

More vegan than I realized - Edit

The Melt was amazingly vegan-friendly, and staff were knowledgeable, friendly and courteous in their willingness to help and get things right for a couple of traveling vegans. We ate the most amazing seitan melt sandwich, and an incredible vegan ceasar-style salad. The portions were enormous, and we had dinner leftover for later. I would go back any chance I had to try other Melt fare.

Pros: So many vegan options, Knowledgeable staff, Full bar

Cons: not a veg restaurant

Wonderful but with a few problems - Edit

I had a wonderful experience. All the vegitarian meals also came as vegan options. The staff and the food out of this world. The prices were a little high for the portions but I have seen much worse. The parking was a little tricky since there are few lots in the area that I found. The biggest issue I have is that I have a friend that handicaped and the place is did not have a ramp. So recomend this place but please ask them to add a ramp :) Peace n Love always

Refreshingly Unique Fare - Edit

My husband and I ate at Melt last week for the first time. Not being natives of the area, we found it a bit difficult to get to, but that may have been our GPS's fault. There is a parking lot across the street from Melt, but we just parked on the street. It was a late Sunday afternoon and the place was pretty busy. We took our food to go because we had somewhere to be. There's a big sign at the counter that says "Please let us know if you are vegan", which, as a mostly vegan vegetarian, I really appreciated. The atmosphere is cozy, like your average locally-owned restaurant, and the staff are friendly. This is also a place that you can take your carnivore friends to, as they offer items with meat, too. Even the items that normally come with meat can be made vegetarian with substitutions.
I ordered the veggie cheesesteak and chose kale slaw as my side. The sandwich was very good; they used seitan in place of the meat and it was an excellent substitute. I had been craving a cheesesteak for a couple of days, and this really hit the spot. The kale slaw was simply amazing! If you like kale, I highly recommend it.
My hubby got the avocado bliss wrap, which he enjoyed. He let me take a bite and I also thought it was very good. He got the herbed roasted potatoes with curry ketchup as a side and that was really good! The addition of curry to the ketchup gave it an interesting flavor and I would have been more than happy to help him finish them off.
We will definitely be returning!

Pros: Vegan friendly, Gluten-free options, Friendly service

Cons: Location

My favourite cafe in Cinci - Edit

This is the sort of cafe I generally look for when travelling. It's independently run, popular with locals and has a great bustling ambience - though a bit over-crowded at times. I've tried a few of the sandwiches and all were very tasty. My favourite was probably the Vegan Melt.

Pros: Delicious sandwiches

Cons: Portions too big, Not enough vegan cakes, No coffee drinks

First & Last time to visit - Edit

The wait time really needs to be improved at this cafe.

We went on a Sunday and waited 10 minutes in line to order food then another 45 minutes for our food to arrive. Unfortunately the food portions was disappointing for the amount of time we waited :/.

Also the way to order your food needs a lot of improving.
For example you have to wait in line to order food then find your own table---if any are available by the time your done waiting in line :(

It was an Interesting experience but we won't return. We found better food and faster ordering + 100% all vegan food at the Loving Cafe.

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Wait time, Food portions, Price too high

Great Food - Edit

I highly recommend this restaurant. If you have a non vegetarians in your party there is something for everyone. Also, I loved the spicy Chocolate/Cayenne Pepper locally made ice cream! We are excite to go back and try their Sunday Brunch! The correct website address is www.meltcincy.com

Pros: Variety, Atmosphere , Quality

Cons: Smaller interior seating

Melt-tastic - Edit

All Cincinnati Veg*ans must go to Melt! The food is delicious and they have a wide variety of vegetarian, vegan and meat entrees. Almost any sandwich can be made vegan with the options of tofu, tempeh, seitan and vegan cheese that is made in-house. The also have a limited brunch menu on the weekends, with selections changing monthly. Aside from dining in, Melt also has a refridgerator full of sandwiches and various salads made specifically for carry-out. They also have vegetarian and vegan baked goods. In addition to dining inside, during the warmer months they have lovely outside seating.

Pros: lots of variety, good price, food tastes great!

Cons: not strictly veg*an

FANTASTIC! - Edit

I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been covered in the other reviews listed. The food was delicious (so much so that we ate there twice in two days), the atmosphere was casual and funky, and the staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the menu. As a vegan stranded in the Heartland, it's a special treat when I get to eat somewhere with more than one vegan option, so I was THRILLED to find Melt. My hubby and I took his parents (both avowed omnis) for lunch on Saturday, and we all loved it so much that we went back for brunch on Sunday. If you're in Cincinnati, I definitely recommend you eat at Melt!

Pros: lots of vegan options, delicious!!!, friendly staff

Cons: very crowded for Sunday brunch

I love this place! - Edit

I eat at Melt every time I visit Cincinnati. The food is consistently good, and there are plenty of vegan options. My omni-parents love it, too. I love the penne and "cheese" appetizer for starters, and then typically get a sandwich. Favorites include the Philly cheese steak (vegan-ized) and the Vegan Melt. They offer some delicious sides, too, and sometimes have vegan desserts (they seem to sell out before I get there). I also make it a point to have the Sunday brunch. Nothing beats the Redskin Mess (vegan-ized), but occasionally I mix things up with the vegan biscuits and gravy. I love the funky atmosphere, the staff are always friendly, the food always fresh. I can't say enough good things about this place and highly recommend it. It would get 5 stars (or happy cows, I guess) if it was totally vegan. But I do appreciate the veg options they do have.

Pros: great vegan cheese, brunch!, always fresh

Amazing - Edit

I have eaten here on two different occasions when passing through Cincinnati and my omni husband and I absolutely love to eat here. They have many different vegan options as well as omni ones. This is an excellent place to take your meat eating friends. Our favorite menu item is the Rosemary Redskin potatoes w/ curried ketchup. I would rate it 5 cows (but the site won't let me).

Pros: Excellent service, Excellent food, Decent prices

Awesome Vegan Food and Experience - Edit

Very small and very quaint place with mix and match chairs and tables. I loved the menu from the start. The majority of their expertise is on vegetarian and vegan cuisine. I ordered the "vegan melt" and rosemary roasted red potatoes with curry catsup. My "vegan melt" was on whole grain bread, baked tofu, house spread, and roasted green peppers and onions. I was so wowed by my dish; that there are no words for it. The entire dish had so much flavor and personality to it. The presentation was phenomenal and was on bright colored plates and bowls. And I really liked the fact that any dish that is vegetarian can be veganized (?) very easily if that particular sandwich or menu item appeals to you. I really liked that they had a sign up that said, to let them know if you are vegan. I couldn't eat my entire sandwich, so I had it wrapped to take with me along with the huge salad my youngest daughter could not consume. I ate the sandwich later cold and it was just as good cold as it was being served warm! That just tells you that the food was just that good! Yum Yum! The atmosphere was very diverse and beautifully eclectic as far as the patrons goes.

Pros: Excellent Food, Vegan Friendly, Quaint Atmosphere

A hip and friendly indie restaurant - Edit

Melt bills itself as an "eclectic deli," serving vegan-friendly gourmet sandwiches, soups and salads using whole, unprocessed ingredients in environmentally-friendly packaging. They source locally when possible and are mindful of re-investing in the local economy and community.

The restaurant is appealingly quirky with brightly painted walls of berry and periwinkle, and comfy, mismatched tables and chairs. Dine-in meals are served on funky thrift-store dinnerware, and local artists showcase their work here too, further decorating the cheerful space. When the weather is nice, be sure to check out the zenlike outdoor dining area in back. The main dining area is spacious but oddly there are tables in a narrow hallway near the kitchen that seem out of place. Avoid them if you can.

Nearly everything on the menu is vegetarian or vegan. There are veggie cheesesteaks made with seasoned seitan, vegan melts of savory, baked tofu, BBQ hoagies made with tempeh, and a half-dozen awesome, healthy salads served with multi-grain bread from Over-the-Rhine bakery Shadeau. The restaurant makes all their dressings in-house - there are four vegan and four vegetarian dressings on offer.

They also boast a mean vegan chili that garners rave reviews, and their soup of the day is always vegetarian. It's affordable too - most items are under $10.

I decided to go with their daily special - the Torpedo Burrito (a baked tortilla wrap of scrambled tofu, guacamole and spinach) served with a spicy, homemade pico de gallo. The wrap was healthy enough but I felt it lacked seasoning. The scrambled tofu in the burrito was very bland, but could have been alleviated had they scrambled it with some basil pesto or other seasoning. The addition of pico de gallo helped, but there wasn't enough of it. I also got a side of the roasted rosemary potatoes, which were fantastically tasty if a little cold by the time they reached the table, and the curried catsup was a welcome surprise.

Although I've heard grumblings about Melt's portions being on the small side, personally I haven't found that to be the case. In fact I have yet to leave room for their scrumptious baked goods, which is a real shame since Melt offers a nice variety of housemade vegan dessserts. There are also cupcakes, brownies, bread puddings and key lime bars from local bakery Take the Cake.

Pros: good value, healthy choices, friendly staff

Return to Cincinnati Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Melt closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3528 times since Jun 2008.