First Review by webkitten

great food and service - Edit

Super Vegan Friendly! Lots of sub vegan options. Tofu buffalo "wings" with vegan ranch were delish! I also enjoyed the Chorizo & Potato. They make the chorizo in house using seitan. Sandwiched are huge but some have 1/2 portion options.

Vegan items aren't vegan! - Edit

According to the manager, this restaurant does not use dedicated fryers for vegan items. Since every "vegan" item I could find had something fried that means none of their vegan items are actually vegan.

In my opinion, if they are willing to do this then they shouldn't be trusted with any aspect of food prep.

Cons: Vegan items aren't vegan

Vegetarian/vegan sandwiches, menu online - Edit

Their menu is available online so you can plan your order before you go. I recently went to the Independence location and was told their bread was NOT vegan - I'd be careful and doublecheck when ordering if you are vegan. For most of their sandwiches, there's vegan and vegetarian options available. I always order the Purple Parma: crispy battered eggplant, grilled tomato, rich marinara, roasted garlic, provolone cheese. It's divine and a giant portion, making the price pretty reasonable.

Pros: Vegan and veggie options, Accomodating/understanding staff, Ability to customize sandwiches

Cons: Long waits, High calories, Bread may not be vegan

Melt Bar and Grilled Hello and thank you for the great review of Melt Bar and Grilled. We wanted to respond directly to the comment about our bread. We at Melt pride ourselves in being very vegetarian and vegan friendly. We would like to assure you that the bread served at Melt is definitely VEGAN. We apologize for any misinformation that a member of our serving staff may have given you incorrectly. All of our food items that are created vegetarian or vegan are definitely 100% vegetarian or vegan. Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you back at Melt very soon.

Awesome Bread! - Edit

I went on a Saturday night. We walked in the doors at 4:30 p.m. and didn't get seated until almost 7 p.m. (there were 2 of us) so there is a very long wait. Also, the kitchen can only make 6 sandwiches at a time, so it took an additional 45 minutes to get the food.

I ordered a sandwich with vegan mozzarella (they use Tofutti), avocado and tomato. There weren't very generous with the veggies. The bread and the french fries were amazing. The cole slaw was a little sweet, but not so much that it was sickening.

They have a really good beer selection. The atmosphere is really cool, but I don't think the food was really worth the wait. If I lived in the area, I probably would only get carry out.

Pros: Thick bread, Great atmosphere

Cons: Meter parking in the back, Long wait

best bad for you food ever! - Edit

If you really want to treat yourself this is the place. Awesome sandwiches and VERY vegan friendly. My fav is the mushroom melt + garlic spinach + tofu & vegan cheese of course! Even the monthly specials have vegan versions at times. The bloody marys are great too, but like all the other reviews say: be prepared to wait. My advice is just pretend it is NYC & drink a few beers while you wait.

Pros: vegan cheese, huge portions

Cons: NYC style wait for table, huge portions

Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly - Edit

I love this restaurant! It is ALWAYS crazy-busy so bring patience!!!
If you create your own sammie (the Kindergarden) and add your own stuff from a huge a-la-cart list... and then pick a Vegan cheese (Tofutti Mozz or American)... it's REALLY easy to eat vegan! The sammies are 'buttered' with margarine and the sweet slaw is vinegar-based.
You also don't have to eat the boardwalk-styled fries if you're in it for the health-- you can substitute them for free for one of the 3 soups (2 on the menu without cheese is vegan/ask server for the soup-of-the-day)... or a salad for a buck... or the veggie of the day for two!
it's amazing...

Pros: amazing food, HUGE-HUGE beer selection, fun environment/staff

Cons: wait, small kitchen, over-eating!

Not health food - Edit

Melt has very tasty grilled cheese sandwiches. They'll stuff interesting things in there, like pierogies and burgers (including veggie burgers). i don't want to know how much calories and fat are in those enormous sandwiches. For a dollar you can get a good-sized side house salad instead of fries or slaw. I'm always stuffed after half the sandwich and the salad, so I save the rest and reheat it later. The beer is a good value too. Don't go without making a reservation.

Pros: Huge portions, Interesting food, Good drinks

Cons: Not healthy, Crowded

Melt my heart - Edit

A large selection of grilled cheese, brews, and side dishes. Two types of vegan cheese available. The sandwiches are huge and come with fries and vegan slaw. Often busy, you may have to wait for a table. Lots of parking behind building.

Pros: vegan cheese, lots of choices, fun atmosphere

Cons: waiting for a seat due to popularity

Return to Cleveland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Melt Bar and Grilled closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3768 times since Oct 2008.