Mellow Mushroom

• Veg-friendly
Contact 513-860-0888

9238 Floer Dr (at Union Centre Blvd ), West Chester, Ohio, USA, 45069

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of hippie-themed pizza chain. Has pizzas, calzones, hoagies, plus hummus and pita. Options for pizzas and calzones include tofu, tempeh, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, peppers, sundried tomatoes, and more. All pizzas can be made with vegan cheese. Many options for hoagies made with tofu and tempeh.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Skyyow

Vegan friendly for sure, but not many vegan option - Edit

I've been to the Mellow Mushroom several times in the past few weeks, since I wanted to try it out. I like their ambiance, the knowledgeable staff, and the fact that they do have items that are vegan or can be made vegan.

That being said, when you get down to it there aren't really as many options for vegans as I thought there would be. With available substitutions, it's pretty much the Bruschetta, Hummus, vegan pizza, a tempeh or tofu hoagie (taking a lot of stuff off), or a salad (again, taking stuff off).

They seem to put feta on everything, for example, so you really have to scrutinize the ingredients. And even then, you're not necessarily safe.

I tried to order the mushroom soup, but it's got cream in it. Can it be veganized? No.

I tried to order the stuffed portabello mushroom, but it's got butter on it. Can it be veganized? No.

I tried to order spinach / artichoke dip, but it's pre-mixed with regular mozzarella and parm, and can't be veganized.

These are pretty much just vegetables, and they've had such things done to them that can't be undone, unfortunately.

The one item you can do vegan without worrying too much is pizza, and it was okay. I found the sauce a bit bland, and the Daiya a bit too thick.

I really wanted to like this place more!

I would love to see a few other vegan products like Earth Balance and vegan milk/cream so the menu could be expanded a bit.

All of that said, the servers we had were really nice and able to tell us all about the food availabilities.

Pros: Some vegan options, Friendly, knowledgeable servers

Cons: Most dishes can't be veganized, Food is okay, but not "great."

caters to vegans - Edit

I wish I could give this 5 stars. I love this place. They really support vegans. I've had several servers that were vegan and pointed out all the different ways to customize dishes & make them vegan. Their vegan pizza is amazing!!!! It's the one place I go to that seems genuinely happy I'm vegan. I respect a restaurant that caters to everyone (carnivores as well). On another note, I can eat their pizza and never gain weight, so that's a plus.

Pros: multiple vegan options, supportive servers, great

Cons: none

Good vegan pizza in a nice ambience - Edit

I really enjoyed my lunch at the Mello Mushroom. The waitress was super friendly, the restaurant and the restrooms were clean, and the general look and feel of the place was mellow :)
All Pizzas can be ordered with vegan cheese, and there is more than one meatless option. On top of that, the pizza was delicious.

Pros: vegan cheese, tasty pizza

Cons: a little pricey

Great Vegan Options - Edit

Mellow Mushroom offers pizza (w/vegan cheese) and hoagie sandwichs featuring tempeh and tofu. The food is very good and so is the service. Mellow Mushroom is a favorite of mine.

Pros: Very Good Service, Vegan Cheese, Tofu And Tempeh

Return to West Chester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mellow Mushroom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 874 times since Dec 2012.