Mellow Mushroom

Contact 912-495-0705

11 W Liberty St, Savannah, Georgia, USA, 31401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of hippie-themed pizza chain. Has veggie pizzas, calzones, hoagies, plus hummus and pita. Options for pizzas and calzones include tofu, tempeh, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, peppers, sundried tomatoes, and more. Vegans need to be specific.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by msmayz

The best (maybe only?) vegan pizza in Savannah - Edit

Love this place--it is super easy to make your own vegan calzone or pizza catered to your liking with whatever toppings you prefer. The waitstaff is always super accommodating. Just specify that you'd like your pie vegan style and they'll also leave off the parmesan and butter from the crust. Great wine and beer if you're into that as well. Their side spinach salad without the cheese is also a favorite of mine. One of my favorites in Savannah.

Best Vegan Pizza - Edit

Mellow Mushrooms are fun and they all offer vegan cheese and tempeh hoagies. This one can get insanely loud, where you can't hear your friends on the far side of the table...but if you're looking for delicious pizza, head on over. 90% of the time they forget some of the toppings I ordered, but I'll forgive them for it. The pita is NOT vegan (contains milk), so avoid the hummus. Great place to bring a large group of friends. They also have outdoor seating.

Pros: Best Pizza in Town, Vegan Cheese, Tempeh and Tofu, Fun Atmosphere

Cons: Noisy

One large pie with extra tempeh, coming up! - Edit

The Mellow Mushroom is pretty cool, as pizza joints go. The atmosphere is casual, and at times pretty boisterous, depending on the time of day; it's a neighborhood hangout filled with college kids drinking beer and getting rowdy, which can be lots of fun if you're in the right mood. The decor is kitschy and fun, as well - I particularly loved the Dali-esque mural (The Persistance of Pizza?).

We started off our meal with a round from their ample beer list... and the Garlic Butter & Parmesan Pretzels. Long ropes of pizza dough were shaped into full-sized pretzels, brushed with butter, and heavily dusted with parmesan. They were served piping hot with plenty of marinara for the dipping. These suckers were good, mainly due to the tasty marinara which had tons of fresh basil flavor. (Note: I think we expected something akin to garlic knots, so we ordered a large. This gave us six huge pretzels - way too much for the four of us, considering the pizza we hoped to destroy. A "half" order would have sufficed!)

This was followed by a large Magical Mystery Tour. Pesto, two kinds of mushrooms (button and portabella), jalapeno slices, spinach, feta, and mozzarella were arranged atop a surprisingly tasty crust and baked to perfection. We added tempeh as well, because tempeh is awesome and there is no other place I've come across that offers it as a pizza topping! This thing was incredibly substantial. There were some big flavors here (pesto, tangy feta, and surprisingly hot pickled jalapenos), and the crust was crisp and sturdy and tasty in its own right. I tried my best to kill two slices, but sadly I could barely finish one and a half... those darn pretzels did me in!

If I had to come up with a detractor, it would be the strange consistency of the mozzarella; it was more rubbery than gooey. It tasted fine, though, and I still thoroughly enjoyed this pie.

I didn't feel that it took any longer than usual for our food to arrive - good pizza takes time, after all. Service here was friendly, especially considering the fact that we showed up sort of late when the servers were tired and probably looking forward to closing. We kind of got the hint, though, when they started stacking chairs onto the tables surrounding ours...

Pros: Tempeh and tofu pizza toppings!, Multitude of veggie/vegan options, Fun, casual spot

Great pizza - Edit

my bf and I ordered the gluten-free veggie pizza and didn't need a to-go box! The service was top-notch, although $18 for a medium pizza seemed a little much to me, we were in a city and the pizza came with olives, peppers, tofu, artichokes, onions, broccoli, feta, tomatoes, etc. Loaded. They bake to order, so don't come on a time-crunch.

Pros: Excellent food, staff

Cons: kinda noisy

Yummy cheese-free pizza - Edit

The title says it all. There were other adaptable items on the menu but the veggie pizza without cheese was delicious! We didn't find Savannah to be vegan-friendly so Mellow Mushroom was a treat.

Pros: friendly staff, several items adaptable to vegan

Easy for Vegans - Edit

I have never had the slightest bit of trouble getting my food vegan from Mellow Mushroom. They have lots of vegan options and usually understand just what a vegan version of something is. They have quite a few things to choose from. However, the service is REALLY hit and miss. I have had some good servers and then others have been completely awful. I actually walked out once because it was just so bad and almost didn't go back because I was so put out by it. But the next time the service was really good and the food was fantastic. It is definitely a hit or miss place. When it's good, it's pretty good, but when it's bad, it's terrible.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Very Tasty, Dog friendly outdoor seating

Cons: Service can be really bad, Sometimes slow

Was told they don't do vegan - Edit

I received the complete opposite treatment as the other reviewers.
I looked at their site beforehand and in their FAQ, it says they are able to make pizza without cheese and it would be suitable for vegans, since their crust doesn't contain dairy. As well, I read the reviews here on Happy Cow, so I thought it was good to go.

When I asked for a pizza without cheese, the girl laughed at me and told me, "We don't make vegan pizza, but we do have a veggie pizza. It has cheese on it, but it's close enough."
There were several staff within hearing distance when she told me this, and no one stepped in to correct her. I could have just had bad luck that night I guess, but it pissed me off so much I'm reluctant to give it a second try.

Vegan-friendly! - Edit

The best thing about Mellow Mushroom -- aside from the fun atmosphere and delish food -- is that the staff are friendly and completely willing to accommodate any vegan requests. Our favorite items are the super veggie pizza (no cheese, no butter on the crust), the tempeh sub (no cheese, no mayo), and the tofu sub (same). We've eaten here probably 10 times, and they only messed up an order once -- they caught it before they brought it to our table, and to make up for it, they didn't charge us for the pizza.

Pros: great atmosphere, accommodating to vegans, friendly staff

Cons: smokers by the front door, noisy

Return to Savannah Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mellow Mushroom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3101 times since Aug 2007.