Mellow Mushroom

720-328-9114

1201 16th St (at Lawrence), Denver, Colorado, USA, 80202

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of hippie-themed pizzeria chain that offers a variety of vegan topping choices, including vegan cheese (Daiya), tofu, tempeh, and veggies. Open Mon-Wed 11:00am-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Michael X. James

Decent pizza, not extraordinary - Edit

I ordered one of the veggie pizzas without cheese. You can add vegan cheese and build your own pizza. Building your own pizza gets expensive so I suggest ordering one of the veggie pre-selected options without cheese or vegan cheese. I've been to better build your own pizza restaurants but this place is decent if you're looking for something solid.

cool place - not ideal for vegans - Edit

Walking into this place, I was super excited to try out some vegan pizza. It's in a really cool downtown location and inside you can watch the pizza chefs tossing the dough around. The menu had a lot of vegetarian choices, but none that were specifically vegan. *There's cheese on everything in this place. I decided to custom build my own vegan pizza. Toppings started at $1.30 a piece so I picked 8 including vegan cheese. I was disappointed when I saw my pizza and the minimal amount of veggies that $1.30 a topping payed for. A few pieces of broccoli, an artichoke heart, some peppers sprinkled here and there... What I wanted was a VEGGIE pizza with lots of VEGGIES. I figured my small (4 piece) pizza would come to about $12. When I got the check I was surprised to find that it had totaled out to $19. The starting price was $8 - which I did not see on the menu. Well then I felt even more sad about my lack of vegetable helpings.

Well it's a cool restaurant. Great for vegetarians. Don't build your own pizza.

Pros: cool place, friendly fast service, a lot of vegetarian items

Cons: few vegan menu items, spendy

yummy! vegan and GF options!! - Edit

Great vegan GF pizza!

Don't miss out! If you're in Denver you'll have to try this

eating veggies is costly here - Edit

The pizza was ok, but we added some veggies to the toppings and for two pizzas and a salad it was over $60. I'm always sad when veggie pizzas end up being more than the meat pizzas. Service was prompt and the vegetables were fresh. The gluten-free crust is not vegan.

Pros: have Daiya cheese available

Cons: pricey

Satisfied. our Craving! - Edit

3 weeks into our cross country trip, we were dying to eat out and have some good old pizza! We had been to a Mellow Mushroom in Tennessee so were excited to see one in Denver. They did not disappoint! We ordered 2 large pies with tempeh, caramelized onions, artichoke hearts and banana peppers and Daiya cheese. On the menu it says they make their crusts with butter and parmesan, but they happily made it vegan and from what our waitress said, it seemed as if they do it quite often. We all loved the crust, the cheese was melted just right and all of our toppings were generous. The only con I have is the price. By the time you add the vegan cheese (an extra $3) and all your toppings, it was over $25 a pizza. but it was well worth it and we left extremely stuffed and satisfied. My husband loved the beer selection and the kids and I had soft drinks which were very big and included free refills! loved the vibe as well!

Pros: NY style pizza, lots of toppings, flavor

Cons: pricey

Good stop for business travelers - Edit

Mellow Mushroom is just a couple blocks from the convention center and hotels. Although the soy cheese isn't on the menu, they do have it if you ask. The 10" Mega Veggie pizza ended up being big enough to have 1/2 for dinner, and then take the other half back to my room for breakfast and a snack the following day.

Pros: soy cheese, service, value

Cons: soy cheese not on menu

Good food, good service, good times - Edit

Stopped in here while shopping on the 16th Street Mall and loved every minute of it. Lots of fun beers to try on tap (do the $5 sampler if you're unsure). The servers are very friendly and happy to help. It's not ultra hippie in there either. Very cool design on the interior.

Pros: Vegan pizza, Beer, Service

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mellow Mushroom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.