Mellow Mushroom

Contact 843-723-7374

309 King St, Charleston, South Carolina, USA, 29401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of hippie-theme pizzeria chain that is veg friendly. Has vegan cheese, tofu, tempeh, and plenty of vegetables. Create your own pizza or ask to veganize your pizza or other dishes by omitting cheese, etc. Will make the garlic cheese bread using vegan cheese upon request. Open Mon-Fri 12:00am-12:00am, Mon 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Thu 11:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 12:00am-2:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Astonangel

Very decent vegan options - Edit

Lots of places fake their enthusiasm for vegan fare but the staff here really seem to get it. Some very good items. Tofu and tempeh available as well as daiya cheese. Worth a shot in a town of v limited pure veggie vegan options

Pros: Daiya cheese, Tempeh, Great pizzas

Cons: Serves meat etc

Awesome - Edit

Last night, my sister and I ventured over to the Mellow Mushroom to dine on a pizza of our choice. Natives of New York, we know our pizza and this place has really great pizza. First the thin crust is crisped to perfection, so that with each bite, you get that crunch and satisfaction of biting into a well crafted pizza. We both shared a "make your own" pizza with portobello mushrooms, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, caramelized onions, and basil on tomato sauce. We opted for no Vegan cheese which is how I prefer to eat my pizza (I'm the type of vegan who likes to eat fresh vegetables and fruits and feel like I am getting my nutrients in). My sis got her 1/2 of the pizza with bacon, and I must admit they did an excellent job making sure that the bacon was actually less than 1/2 of the pizza pie so that my slices were no where near (to an extent) touching hers.
As of the service, I felt very at ease and welcomed. There were many things to choose on the menu for the "build your own " pizza's but the waiter was very patient with us and helpful. He knew I was vegan so he made sure our pizzas did not have their signature butter on the crust.
The best of the pizza was the crust. Hands down. So delicious. Fluffy, yet crisp. Hollow yet filled with baked dough puff. Our waiter brought is olive oil and garlic powder so we dipped our crust (Greek style) into our own poured oil. We even liked the music. It was totally our vibe (The Strokes

Pros: Delicious no-cheese pizza, flavorful and sumptuous crust, Filling

Cons: although the crust was amazing, I wish it was roll

Awesome Vibe and Great GF&V Pizza Crust! - Edit

I just arrived in Charleston, SC for a week of training with work. It was about 10 pm on Sunday night when I arrived and I was hungry after passing up all the food options on the airlines (for obvious reasons). Luckily this little gem's kitchen was open until 11 PM even on Sunday!

I got the Veg Out + pineapple pizza (minus the cheese - I opted out on the Daiya cheese even though they have it) on GF crust. It was delicious! They had many other vegan options including hummus - I will be going back before my stay here is over! :-)

Pros: Open Late, Great GF Pizza Crust, Friendly Staff and Good Vibes

Cons: None of the top of my head!

Excellent vegan options - Edit

We ate lunch today at the King Street Mellow Mushroom and we both really enjoyed our veganized hoagies. We got the Teriyaki-grilled tofu with grilled mushrooms, onions and green peppers,substituted daya cheese and omitted the Provolone and mayo; and the marinated and grilled tempeh, with grilled mushrooms,onions and green peppers, substituted daya cheese and omitted the Feta and pesto mayo. We asked for a side serving of their tomato sauce, which nicely complimented both hoagies.

Pros: Vegan options, Responsive staff

Could have been better - Edit

My expectations for pizza are a bit higher because of the area I am from, but I will say that the pizza here was decent. Normally I just get cheeseless pizza as a vegan option, but since there was daiya cheese here, I decided to try it. It tasted good, but I've had better. The toppings were very good and the service was great.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Vegan Friendly

Cons: Only Decent Pizza

Ehhh! - Edit

We had mediocre service and mediocre tasting food. The pizza was not the worst but could have been so much better. The Greek salad was very different from what I had expected as was the dressing.

Pros: Open later than most in charleston

Cons: Mediocre service

Return to Charleston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mellow Mushroom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1923 times since May 2012.