Mellow Mushroom

• Veg-friendly
Contact 828-236-9800

50 Broadway Ave, Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28801

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of hippie themed pizzeria chain with choices for vegans and vegetarians, including tofu, tempeh, and fresh veggie toppings for pizza plus large salads.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by navski

Fun atmosphere and consistent food - Edit

Mellow Mushroom is a chain that does well in college towns, for obvious reasons. They have a few veg options including a pizza with Daiya cheese. My husband likes the tempeh falafel sandwich which is huge, and I like to build my own big salad. They have lots of salad fixings to choose from. They have a big selection of beer, and the service is as you would expect it.

Pros: Great downtown location, Quick and easy food , Outdoor seating

Cons: Busy in the summer

Good pizza, great staff! - Edit

I walked into Mellow Mushroom on a busy Saturday night. Checking with the host to make sure the still had vegan options, the hostess was super friendly and helpful. I ordered from the bar and was excited that in addition to daiya, they also offered tempeh. When putting in my order with the bartender, he asked to confirm if I still wanted to parm on the crust. I didn't even think to ask. Thank goodness, the people who work here know the vegan rules! Pizza was good but the staff is the reason I would go back.

Pros: fake meat options - tempeh and tofu, daiya cheese, outdoor seating

Cons: gets busy on the weekends

fit the bill - Edit

My family ate here twice during our week-long vacation in Asheville. Yes, the restaurant has daiya cheese and a selection of gluten free pizzas as well. Mellow Mushroom is a large restaurant with a fun interior as well as a popular outdoor dining patio. It has a bar and a good selection of draft beer.

About the food--there were a couple of vegan options besides a pizza with vegan cheese. The salads were fresh and the restaurant is open quite late which was convenient for us. On our first visit, the kids had pizza but my husband and I had non-pizza selections which were okay but not amazing. On the second we shared a make-your own vegan pizza. The pizza was better than the non-pizza items we had during our first visit. The kids did their own thing at a separate booth, which was like a mini-vacation for us.

My family enjoyed it very much and begged to eat here a second time. For me once was enough and I would have liked to try a different restaurant since there were so many choices in Asheville, but sometimes you have to compromise.

Mellow Mushroom is a solid choice if you are in the mood for pizza.

Pros: large, fun, good selection of beer, vegan pizza, open late

Cons: other options besides pizza are limited

Best vegan pizza so far! - Edit

My girlfriend and I stopped here for lunch during our visit to Asheville and we were thoroughly satisfied. We love our pizza and couldn't wait to try out their vegan pizza pies. We also loved the fact that the gluten free crust option was vegan as well (usually GF crusts have eggs).

Definitely recommend this place for all veg heads out there! Great service. Prices well worth the food!

Pros: Vegan GF crust, plenty of vegan toppings, alcohol is a nice option

Cons: none!

Best Pizza! - Edit

What an amazing pizza joint! Perfect place for my family to eat (my husband is an Omnivore and my daughter and I are vegans). Love love love their regular crust, but even their gluten-free version (which is now vegan as well) is phenomenal.

Pros: Delicious, Pizza, Gluten-free

Best Pizza I've Had As A Vegan. Period. - Edit

Would be an understatement to say I loved this pizza-it was awesome!! Had Daiya cheese, spinach, artichoke hearts and tofu-didn't know what to expect, but didn't have my hopes up. Vegan cheese just never tastes right to me! I don't know how they did it, but it tasted amazing-best crust, great flavor. So glad we tried this place, hope they move to our area back home!

Pros: Great Food, Cool Atmosphere, Vegan Options

Cons: Price

Great vegan pizza options! - Edit

Mellow Mushroom in Asheville is a great option when you have a group of people with a lot of different tastes. Mellow Mushroom serves vegan cheese (I believe they just switched to Daiya brand), tempeh and tofu. This makes the pizza more exciting for vegans! You can order one of their specialty pizzas or you can build your own. I like to build my own with tempeh, vegan cheese and all kinds of veggie options. Delicious!

Pros: Great vegan options, Friendly, Excellent pizza

A new favorite! - Edit

Wonderful restaurant, great menu, beautiful atmosphere and delightful waiters/hostess. We ordered a medium pizza with the works of vegetables and vegan cheese. Our waitress was able to point us in the right direction to mesh our vegan lifestyle with the pizza options. The pizza and drinks brought the bill to a little over 30$, totally worth it! Only regret that were are not local to the area, we would eat there often!

Pros: Great selection, Wonderful staff, Local wines

Cons: Outdoor seating is noisy b/c of traffic

Wonderful Daiya "Cheese" Pizza - Edit

I ordered a small pizza with tofu and daiya cheese. It was enough to feed two adults and was sooo delicious.

Also, the atmosphere inside the place is awesome beyond words.

Pros: Great taste, Good price, Good vegan options

Cons: No delivery

mellow mushroom - Edit

Do not go here if you do not have 2 hours to kill. That said, the pizza is very good. Service is hit or miss. Sometimes you get a great server, sometimes it's just so busy that you cannot get what you need. Sometimes the servers and cooks are back in the walkin fridge getting high... Get your pizza to go!!! anyway, I have also had a birthday here and the bartender was amazing!!

Pros: good food, nice patio for people watching, good mixed drinks/beer selection

Cons: always a loooong time, cheezy atmosphere, parking non-existant

Better than Asheville Pizza - Edit

Even though I do like Asheville Brewing Pizza, Mellow Mushrooms crust is perfect! It's thick and just a little chewy how I like it. Plus they FINALLY have vegan cheese! Asheville Pizza's is NOT VEGAN! Definitely recommend going, plus the atmosphere is cool.

Pros: crust is divine, vegan cheese, fun atmosphere

Cons: pricey, long wait

Good Times... - Edit

Mellow Mushroom is a place that tourist go as mentioned by others, but bunches of locals go there too. The outside patio is a great place to meet with some freinds, drink, and eat fairly good pizza. Everyone knows, or should know, that it ain't the place to go if you are in a hurry or even lacking patience and tolerance. We like to go on a nice day and take or time and just hang out for a couple hours.

The pizza is as good if not better than Asheville Pizza in my opinion, although I really like both. Both offer tofu as a topping and Mellow Mushroom has tofu hoagies. Get some jerk sauce on/with it if you like spicy. The avacado sammy is good as well.

Besides Pizza, Calzones, salads, and a couple sandwiches they don't have much veggie fare, but it is enough for me to go from time to time. If your looking for that kind of stuff and you are not familiar with the Mushroom you should give it a shot, it can please your carnivore friends also.

Oh yeah... it is a bit spendy. You can easily rack up quite the hefty tab.

Pros: patio rocks!, good pizza etc, lots and lots of beer and liquor

Cons: pricey, slow, sometimes busy

It's AWESOME pizza. - Edit

Of course tourists go to the Mellow Mushroom, they go everywhere in Asheville, it's what pays our bills. As a local, I know, just like everyone else in town knows, Mellow Mushroom has great pizza. Their waitstaff was a little slow a few years back, but they have improved. I live and work in downtown Asheville and i eat there all the time. If you haven't tried the Avocado sandwich, then you don't know what you're talking about. Plus the owner is one of the nicest, coolest guys in this town. It's an Asheville icon, so don't go there if you can't stand pretty girls with tattoos or heated political discussions. But don't be fooled by these other posts, the pizza is the best in town right now.

Pros: great food, cool staff, great beer

Go to Asheville Pizza & Brewing instead! - Edit

. This is where the tourists eat. Locals know better. Pizza is way better at Barley's Taproom, Digable Pizza, or Asheville Pizza & brewing Company. Really expensive pizza & bad sandwhiches. Beer selection is great if you can stand the ambiance.

Pros: outdoor seating, beer, good location

Cons: lame touristy setting, loud & annoying to be in, overpriced

slowest place on earth - Edit

They don't call it "mellow" mushroom for nothing. Servers forget your order and even when they remember it can take 45 minutes to get a pizza. That said, if you are not in a hurry, they do a pretty good job with the pizza, as far as taste goes.

Pros: tasty, outdoor seating, good for kids or groups

Cons: slow as heck

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mellow Mushroom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2196 times since Aug 2007.