CLOSED: MelloMello

Contact n/a

40-42 Slater Street (at Parr Street entrance), Liverpool, England, L1 4BX

Independent, eco cafe, multi function arts and performance venue, and dance studio. Located 5-minute walk from both Central train station and Liverpool 1 bus station. Food menu is vegetarian with plenty vegan and gluten-free dishes, specialty cakes & daily specials. Wide choice of organic and local beer among other drinks at the bar. Free Wi-Fi. See website for calendar. Kitchen open Mon 12-8pm, Tue-Sat 10am-8pm, Sun 11am-8pm. Bar stays open later for drinks, sandwiches, cakes Sun-Thur til 12am, Fri-Sat til 2am. Confirmed closed, Sep 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, British

First Review by Deis

Love this place - Edit

Friendly, quiet and great to hang out on a weekend (got lots of board games knocking about....)
Staff always nice and up for a chat.
Clearly marked vegan options on the menu.
Try the nachos, the houmous and carrot sandwich or the burrito.
Puddings always worth a try and these change daily. Loved the vegan peanut butter blondie last weekend!

Pros: brilliant food, good service, lots of alcohol options

Love it! - Edit

I have been living in Liverpool since September and have visited Mello a few time now. I absolutely love it there! I'm a creature of habit and ten only to have the curry which has daily changing ingredients and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time! The portion is size is perfect; neither too little or too much :)

I have had the soup a few times and the carrot, hummus and sweet chilli sandwich is to die for!

My boyfriend who is neither vegetarian or vegan enjoys coming here when he visits me and I brought my family here once and they all loved it! My grandmother had the Sunday Roast that I have yet to try (last time I ordered it they had ran out.. such a shame!), my sister had the lasagne and my cousin had the mushroom burger.

It is by far my favourite place to eat! Such a good atmosphere and such delicious food!

Pros: Inexpensive, Good atmosphere, Delicious food!

Cons: Unecessary use of margarine!, Lack of vegan desserts

Lovely tea, cosy! - Edit

Up from Essex in Liverpool for the day during a tour of Wales and surroundings. Was a little unsure about this place given the dodgy looking neighbourhood but ventured in anyway. Ordered a large pot of tea and sat back to peruse the place. Nicely laid out, cosy atmosphere, good tea and nice to see vegan food available too. Natives were friendly too, place had the feeling of being somewhere one could easily spend lots of time in. If we come back to Liverpool, will try out some of the food next time too!

Pros: Nice tea in nice big pot!, Pleasant, cozy atmosphere

Cons: None so far :)

Funky foody place - Edit

Visited with wife & 2 kids on a Sunday lunchtime. Laid back bar/cafe style with attentive staff and plenty of listings magazines. Food more than adequate for vegans - wife had a lasagne which she really liked and I had a full on 'Sunday roast' which was excellent value as also included a glass of wine. Bit disappointing on vegan puds/cakes so passed on those. Overall though well worth a visit for the discerning vegan diner.

Pros: Good value, Laid back, Artsy

Cons: Poor vegan pud choice, No beans on toast!

Excellent Food! - Edit

This is a very good restaurant with plenty of vegan dishes! They have gluten-free options also! They serve amazing tea and very good vegan deserts as well!

Pros: excellent food, good values, friendly staff

Mello Mello Liverpool - Edit

Earthy and lovely. The staff ate friendly, the food choice great for vegans and veggies with cakes on offer too. The portobello mushroom burger is a fine thing indeed. An arty laid back feel to the place. It's open from around 11am right through to the evening where there's live music most nights. The only place of its type in Liverpool. Treat yourself and go there!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Healthy cuisine

Friendly veggie pub with good vegan options. - Edit

Lovely place with really friendly staff and a proper menu of good, hearty, vegan and veggie food (nearly all vegan friendly or a vegan option available). This place has so much choice I didn't know where to start but I went for the 'Curry of the Day' which was served in a huge portion with a large flat bread and pickle, it was delicious. I was too stuffed to eat any of the cakes so I had a takeaway piece of vegan carrot cake that was so moist, possibly the best ever. The prices were really low and the drinks (alcoholic and non) were all good value. I recommend all vegans check this place out when in Liverpool.

Pros: Good vegan choices, Good size portions, Very friendly

Good & cheap vegan options - Edit

Visited in october 2012. Great place with good vegan options (including excellent comfort food), unfortunatley for us, they had run out of vegan cakes when we arrived late in the afternoon. They have some board games so its perfect for a relaxed family afternoon or chess game.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Relaxed atmosphere, Board games/ chess

Mello Mello Liverpool - Edit

I can't rate this place highly enough. A 5+ if there was such a rating. Wonderful menu with lots and lots of vegan options. Extensively stocked bar of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks.Everything I have eaten here has been excellent in terms of taste, presentation and value. Standouts include the vegan nachos, vegan lasagne, beetroot risotto and the butternut squash gnocchi.Vegan cakes available too. Relaxing atmosphere.

Delicious roast dinners available Sundays with the added bonus of vegan yorkshire pudding.Breakfasts are good too with cooked and other options. Unique ethos and atmosphere for location, a welcome change from some of the surrounding nightspots.

Regular calender of live performances too and to top it off very lovely staff.

Pros: delicious food, great bar, lovely staff

Cons: would like longer food hours

Warm, Friendly and Economical - Edit

I spent a night in Liverpool and ate here twice. Each time, I ordered the "Curry of the Day". Both were delightful and warmed me from head to foot while the snow was falling outside.

The staff were friendly and helpful, explaining which dishes were vegan and which could be veganised. The portions were plentiful too: the curry comes with rice, flat bread and mango chutney -- all for £6.

It's a ramshackle, hippy sort of place with newspapers lying around and live music in the evenings. Highly recommended.

Pros: Lots of vegan options., Tasty, decent helpings., Friendly staff.

Cons: Not for the posh.

MelloMello - Edit

This place is quite unusual and has lots more to it than food.

Something I like about Mellomello is the place is run as non profit by volunteers to promote the running of an ethically sound and aware business. It is 100% independent and has been in existence for over 5 years and continues to develop and go from strength to strength.

The menu was revamped / expanded in 2011 and there is now a full time kitchen team. The word 'vegan' seems to appear regularly through the offerings on the menu (good clear labelling, also of gluten free). In my time living in Liverpool the food here is easily the tastiest of any of the vego restaurants that have come and gone. The soups are great, mains are brilliant and the cakes sensational. The menu gets updated every few months and its clear that the people in the kitched are not only capable chefs, they are also imaginative.

There is a big, big choice of booze, mostly if not all organic. There is a back room with a stage where they have daily performances etc of music, stand up comedy etchings - the events listings is at the back of the menu. I would prefer that they had the kitchen open later than it does but with the various events that they have in the evenings, I suppose it gets a bit busy to try to also operate the kitchen service.

Mega chilled out and unpretentious atmo, a welcome alternative to the 'Desperate scousewives' / 'Only way is Essex', superficial type places of which there is an abundance in the city centre. Staff are fab.

Down stair is a rehearsal studio and I also seen a sign for a dance studio.

Location is central and the door in is actually on Parr St.

See the website for up to date info.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 09, 2012

Pros: Superb vegan vego friendly food, Central, Inexpensive

Cons: Kitchen not open longer

Absolutely fab! - Edit

My husband and I adore this place..... quirky, great food, good background music.... a great live music venue if that is your fancy but we go for the great vegan food and amazing array of beers from around the world and the great coffees.... vegan and gluten free cakes. We really hope that it doesn't close down with all the cuts because it is great to actually have a real choice of foods as a vegan. Can't praise it enough.... we even love the mismatched tables and chairs....

Pros: choice of vegan foods, range of beers, informality

Cons: could be open more hours!

Impressed - Edit

We very much liked this place, in addition to the eating part (NB they seem to stop serving food now at 8pm, not 7pm) the range of local beers was great. Shame we couldn't stay for the live music.

Awesome! - Edit

Menu/Food

The food was awesome. I ordered the lasagne, and they didn't make it vegan by simply taking the cheese off - instead, they replaced it with cheezly. It was filling and delicious. It also came with a salad, but, unfortunately, that came ready-drizzled with balsamic vinegar (which I dislike).

My dining partner ordered a veggie burger which was huge, and also came with a vinegared up salad. He didn't mind that, though.

I'm often disappointed by vegan cakes; they tend to be incredibly dry, and nothing like as good as I can make at home. Mellomello was different however; their cakes were delicious, moist, and utterly nommish.

Staff

All of the staff members I interacted with were wonderfully friendly, and took time to discuss the menu with me. They were also happy to wrap up a cake for me to eat later, though they don't usually offer takeaways.

Venue

Mellomello was a little bit tricky to find - we walked past it twice! When we did find it, the place was very crowded, though we did manage to find a table in the corner. We were disappointed to find that the toilets were very unpleasant - there was no soap in the mens, and no toilet paper in the ladies. There was also an unpleasant smell of damp in the basement, where the toilets were located.

Return to Liverpool Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: MelloMello closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5255 times since Jan 2011.