CLOSED: Mella Center

• Organization Organization

Contact 07538593175

73 Oxford St (at Dean St), London, England, W1D 2EP

African and Caribbean cultural center and event space. The vegan cafe/food service reported stopped per Jan 2014 report. Directions: when you see the Bureau de Change at street level, enter the Live 4 Love shop and go down the stairs at the back, the cafe is in the basement and is part of an African Caribbean Shopping Centre. May 2014, reported closed to HappyCow.

First Review by Richard Ross

Tranquil Haven off Oxford Street - Edit

Wonderful friendly place, great atmosphere and so friendly have recommended to friends and will definitely go out of my way to return next time I'm in London, plus the food was great and eaten with relish by my non vegan friend.

Great Find - Edit

It's a bit hidden if you don't know what you're looking for (directly opposite a Pret A Manger on Oxford), but once there it's a magical community store. The vegan restaurant is downstairs and towards the back. The large plate for £10 is a great value (though there is a £7 plate). It's new, but support this community project as it's well worth it. Made life easy for me while in London 8 days. By my third trip to the cafe the owner knew who I was and greeted me with a handshake each day after that.

Pros: Great food!, Friendly staff!, All vegan

Excellent vegan food in London's West End. - Edit

I first visited Mella at midday one Saturday but the cafe had not yet opened When I returned on Monday 23rd December at just after 12pm the £7 and £10 plates and drinks were available but not most of the extra items. The food, however, was excellent. I had the £7 plate, which consisted of plantain, rice, sweet potato, beans and salad - delicious! A fresh mixed vegetable drink was also very acceptable. The two staff were friendly and welcoming and there is plenty of space to sit and eat. The cafe is part of a small African Caribbean shopping centre and the informal atmosphere, with stalls selling clothing and accessories, adds to the friendly environment.

Pros: Delicious food and drinks., Informal and friendly., Good value for money.

Cons: Rather erratic opening times., Not everying on the menu was available

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Mella Center closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2263 times since Dec 2013.