Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant

419-502-9476

4318 Milan Rd, Sandusky, Ohio, USA, 44870

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a vegetable section on menu with most, if not all, being vegan. Also will adapt most dishes to vegan. Offers an extensive selection of crafted beers. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by desiart

Pretty good food, extensive beer selection - Edit

Had lunch, good food, decent veg selection. Unwilling or unable to make vegan pho soup, which was disappointing. Appetizer vegan spring roll was not worth ordering. Tofu and mixed veggies was very good. Make your own spring roll was good. Service was ok.

Pros: Open for lunch on Sunday , Large beer selection , Separate veg section

Cons: No vegan pho soup

Disappointed - Edit

I've visited the Mekong location in Richmond, VA, for years, and I was excited to find that the location in Sandusky was not far out of the way for lunch during a road trip to Ohio. As soon as I stepped into the restaurant, however, I realized that this would be a different experience.

1. The atmosphere was not pleasant. It was mid-day and the restaurant was dark; the ceiling was painted foam; the bathrooms weren't super clean, but they weren't filthy, either.

2. The spring rolls were surprisingly bad. The spring rolls at the Richmond location are my favorite spring rolls of any restaurant EVER-- small, but crispy and delicious. These ones were larger but loosely filled, and they were incredibly oily. Even my stepdaughter, who loves fried food, decided not to finish hers.

3. The entres were actually good-- the tofu was not in the big chunks I prefer, in small squares instead, but the flavor was great. We got the Tofu with Lemongrass and the Tofu with Eggplant, and both were lovely.

4. The Tofu Salad was good, too. It was mostly finely shredded cabbage in a sugary dressing, and I really liked it. It was almost like a Vietnamese version of cole slaw.

Overall, this was not a bad lunch spot, but I expected more. The Mekong in Richmond is a high class joint-- the sort of place you'd hold a wedding reception. This one looked fine from the outside, but was more like a cheapo Chinese takeout place inside. I'd probably return if I were in Sandusky again, but only because there don't seem to be many other vegan options.

Pros: easy to access from turnpike, good entres, decent prices

Cons: poor atmosphere, oily spring rolls

The Best in the area! - Edit

I love going to Mekong! The food is excellent, everything is so fresh tasting and not overcooked! They are more than happy to make dishes to your liking. They have a very good vegetarian section plus there are offerings all through the menu. The tofu is delicious. They offer Jasmine and Brown Rice (yay!) The Pho, I hear is good but I haven't had it because to my dismay, they do not offer a vegan base for their soup. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. They really value your business. They have a large selection of crafted beers.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly staff, Good value

Cons: Pho not vegan, even vegetable or tofu

Return to Sandusky Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.