Meatless District

Contact 020-7220804

Bilderdijkstraat 65-67 Huis, Amsterdam, Netherlands,

Previously a vegetarian restaurant, reported to be fully vegan from July 2016 onwards. Offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks. Open Tue-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sun 9:00am-12:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Take-out, European

First Review by Raydoggy

3.5 star - Edit

Great vibe and cool evening venue. Starters were tasty we had the Mushroom Pate and the Roasted Cauli, our mains where not as a good. The burger bun was quite dry, the chips & roasted sprouts particularly oily - not very enjoyable. Non alcoholic Hugo Spritz was tasty. Our server was fab & looked after us very well. Thank you Meatless District ☮️💜

Pros: Good evening vibe , Starters tasty

Cons: Oily servings

Great vegan food in Amsterdam! - Edit

The Meatless District is a great vegan option in Amsterdam. The food menu is very creative and the food is also delicious! The service is efficient and friendly. Prices are a little high but the creative food is worth it. Reservations are recommended. Though we did not have reservations, we were allowed to sit in the reception area and then move to a table once one became available. The "chicken" is the closest thing to real as we have had which could be good or bad... Presentation is beautiful.

Pros: Delicious food, generous portions, Ambience

Cons: Busy place

Good Food - Edit

No reservation needed. Menu is in Dutch but the waitress translated for us. Everything is vegan. Small but pleasant restaurant. Service was not very friendly. Would not return we liked the Loving Hut nearby in Amsterdam more. The service at Loving Hut was very good. We went there twice.

Pros: Entire menu is Vegan

Cons: Not Too Friendly, Expensive, Food was cold

Uneventful food with good service - Edit

Lunch is either sandwhiches or a burger (the same darn burger listed 4 different times on the menu). Dinner is that burger and a few limited items, We had the cheeseburger. It was like deep fried chili on a bun. I didn't enjoy it. Fries had a funny aftertaste. The vegan mayo was good and so was my edelberry gin and tonic. Service was excellent but seating uncomfortable. A little expensive for basic vegan lunch items. Burger with fries 15.50 EUR.

Pros: Service, Decent amount of seating

Cons: Uncreative, Pricey (for what it is)

Meat your Maker - Edit

In this place you will experience amazing burgers, great botanical gins and house wines that lead to positive conversation. As you would expect, the Meatless District is a complete flesh free zone. The burgers are Time Out Magazine astonishing. I used to buy second hand Time Out guides years ago on eBay to check out the token vegetarian listings in various European cities before travelling. Probably out of date on the day of publication. MD as I will now call it is very special indeed. You don't feel hassled or rushed here. The staff look after you well then take a back seat to allow you to enjoy your food. Accompanying the burgers were a large portion of great fries, a pot of home made vegan mayo and a big dollop of tomato ketchup. Ah shuddupa your face. I've seen Amsterdam develop from the Maoz dominant days of the early 2000's into what is now becoming a truly excellent city for veganistas to do their thing. MD is an essential part of this process. Krowarzywa in Warsaw and Krakow are the only other places I know where the burgers are also on a higher level of vegan existence as they are in MD.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-05

Pros: fantastic burgers, nice bar area, friendly

Cons: NONE

Trendy restaurant with great burger - Edit

We had lunch here and the burger was really nice. The restaurant itself is bright and airy, and located in a trendy neighbourhood.
We did try and visit for dinner one evening but we're turned away, so I would recommend booking in advance.

Pros: simple but tasty menu, nice location

Cons: need to book in advance

Deliciously vegan - Edit

The service, the atmosphere and yes....the food - all perfect to me today esp. considering that in Amsterdam restaurants most of the time don't even get 1 out of 3 right!

I was also quite happy with the menu card, but can understand if some expect more choice when going out for dinner. Well, check out the menu card online first and for breakfast/lunch/coffee it is also a great place.

And I just loved the 'cheesecake' because of the great "dough" and the creamy layer on top of it. Texture and flavor as they should be and better.

So if you are close by (and the neighborhood is worth a visit even it might not be so obvious at first sight for tourists), check it out. The whole theme is similar to the currently popular industrial/retro/cozy formula, but beautifully executed and the only place in town that style (to my knowledge) that is actually vegan or in my personal opinion: deliciously vegan.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-24

Vegan fast food in restaurant setting - Edit

Nice restaurant, limited options, most is fast food style meals. I had the veggie / tofu burger which tasted pretty good, not fantastic. Cheesecake tasted good, but looked simply. Just a slice on a plate, nothing more.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: overpriced fastfood style food

Super service and amazing food - Edit

I went to the restaurant a month ago with my vegan-curious mom. She ordered a pasta and I took the vegan quesadillas. Her pasta was "one of the best she ever ate" in her own words, and my quesadillas were awesome as well. The service speed was top notch and the price-quality ratio great. I also had the deep fried banana with rice ice cream for dessert and it was delicious as well. Highly recommend!

Pros: Speedy service, Great food, All vegan

Disappointing - Edit

Okay restaurant but a bit pretentious. Especially cause the options for the main course exist of: pasta, taco's, a bunch of steamed veggies in a pile and burgers. For me the first recepies I learned in my first week of being a vegan. Nothing more than the vegan dish they serve at the average meat serving restaurant. The pile of steemed vegetables, burger and taco's my friends and I had were pretty boring in taste, while prices very from 15,- too 16,50.

Pros: Only vegan dishes, and nice staff

Cons: Expansive, no interesting options, plain tasting f

If you want to get fat and unhealthy - Edit

This is the type of restaurant that is fantastic for people with the eating habits of a 12 year old and who seek to be unhealthy vegans/ vegetarians with flabby middles. I'd biked by and was repulsed by the name (I am repulsed by the idea of meat--why is that word in the name?) but then a friend asked me to meet her there, it was a good halfway point for us and I couldn't think of anything better in that area. I thought I'd just get soup or a salad. So first, there really are no vegetables on the menu. The exception is the asparagas soup, which has 'bacon.' I do not eat fake food. And I can't figure out how you can run a business by offering a menu of fake, unhealthy food. There is nothing here that is good. And the decor is kind of like a scruffy barn. Other reviewers who refer to this place as 'upscale' have been spending too much time at macdonalds. But if you are trying to run up your sodium intake, get fat etc, enjoy.

Cons: revolting food, scruffy decor

amazing !!! - Edit

I ate here for dinner the first night and everything was amazing. Especially the pumpkin pie cheezcake for dessert. Highly recommend this spot!

Pros: delicious, cozy, reasonably priced

Cons: none

So Good that I Ate Here Twice - Edit

I made a reservation approximately two weeks prior to my first visit, and the food was so good that I made another reservation for the following night. The asparagus soup was so delicious! This restaurant and bar seems to be very successful so far, and although there was no line, almost every seat was occupied on both visits.

Delicious veggie burgers - one of the best I've had! - Edit

I ate here three times during my week in Amsterdam. It was very, very, very good.

On the first visit, we split the MD cheeseburger with fries, an asparagus soup and a caeser salad. The fries (AKA chips) were amazing, the best I had in Amsterdam. They were served with vegan mayo and ketchup with some ground pumpkin seeds. The burger was so tasty, one of my all time favorite veggie burgers.

On the second visit, we had brunch and it was very filling and pretty good. For 15 euro, you select a dish, and it includes freshly squeezed OJ and coffee. I'm not sure why the restaurant was so quiet on a Saturday for brunch. Perhaps brunch isn't as much of a thing in Amsterdam? I liked the "English" style breakfast, it came with amazing vegan sausage.

On my third visit, I had an MD cheeseburger and fries all to myself. Yum. Then I split a fried banana and ice cream dessert which was quite spicy and tasty.

Pros: veggie burger, all vegan, nice service

Cons: you have to ask for the receipt

Fancy American vegan eating - Edit

My first piece of advise would be to book, on most evenings now there's usually only one or two tables that are good for walk ins and I'm guessing it's only going to get more popular in the future.

Meatless District is a quite upscale place, but still friendly and cosy like all good Amsterdam restaurants! The staff are really friendly, the coffee is good and the decor is relaxing. The menus is a little bit small perhaps and has good American staples, like nachos, quesadillas, burgers and so on. The burgers are good, and the cheese toasty is *amazing* but the natcho cheese is a bit uninspiring and you don't get much for €8.50. Having said that, the portion sizes are pretty big, we had a starter each then had to split a burger between us because we where so full and everything tastes great. This place really fills a gap in the Amsterdam market for a nice, intimate but upscale place with great food.

Pros: lovely atmosphere , tasty food, friendly staff

Cons: expensive

Vegan dining at its best - Edit

From outside, a warm and inviting atmosphere is ever present. Very friendly staff. This would be a place I recommend with a group of friends, or couples in search of a fully vegan, evening dining experience. Tasty food, with lots of flavours

Pros: restaurant feel , warm and inviting atmosphere with pleasant staff , good food

Cons: slightly small menu with limited dessert options

nice place, could improve menu - Edit

First of all, make a reservation when you want to eat here! Think that's a really good sign for a vegan place. When we were there, the place was full. It is more upscale and trendy than most other vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam, so it really fills an empty space - much needed here. The staff was very kind.
They could improve on the food however. We ordered nachos as a starter (€8,50!!) and the guacamole didn't seem freshly made. The burgers were tastefull but way too salty.
I think it's great that their menu is all vegan now.

Pros: atmosphere, kind staff, vegan

Cons: food could be improved

Smart casual Vegan heaven - Edit

Been there twice and have left very happy with the quality and attention to flavour. The food is great the atmosphere is casual/minimal and the manager is very kind.

Pros: Different, Tasty

Cons: Pricey

Meatless District - Edit

Had the one of a kind house burger. It was really good. Be prepared for a lot of dough from the bread. If you eat small portions this is ideal for two people who have small stomachs.

Has indoor and outdoor seating and seems a bit posch but very relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: Friendly staff, Large portions

Upscale vegan restaurant - Edit

I went to Meatless District for dinner. I arrived just before 5pm, at which time the kitchen was closed in between lunch and dinner, opening back up at 6pm. I made a reservation for 6pm and came back again at about 5:45pm, at which time I was able to get a drink and look at the dinner menu.

I ordered the MD burger, which was a tofu/tomato burger with avocado, gherkins, salad and mayonaise, and chips/fries. It was delicious and well-presented, although the burger is quite big and needs a knife and fork! For dessert I ordered the Monkey Business banana ice cream, which came with edible flowers, pecan nuts, chopped pistashio nuts, roasted chickpeas and avocado mousse. This was also delicious, a small portion but nice for after a large meal.

MD is an upscale restaurant which seems to require reservations for dinner. I was able to make a reservation an hour beforehand, but I don't know if this was because it was a weeknight. The service was very friendly and prompt. There are a few outdoor tables, so I was able to sit outside and enjoy the summer evening sun (with free wifi!). My meal, a main, a dessert and two drinks cost about €28. It is a little bit pricey, but for an upscale restaurant in Amsterdam I don't think it was excessive.

The only con was that on the evening I was there their card machine did not work with international cards, so I had to go to the ATM to get cash to pay the bill. The waiter was very apologetic, so hopefully it is an issue that will be resolved soon.

Pros: Upscale menu, great food, great service, , Great table, free wifi, Located close to tram line

Cons: Had issue accepting international credit/debit car

Very nice place - Edit

Beautiful interior, friendly staff. The food is good, especially the caesar salad with vegan chicken. One of the main courses turned out to be cold, but it was meant to be. Was a suprise because it didn't say so on the menu. Been there 2 times and had multiple dishes, some better than others. For dessert, outside of the menu, you can choose from cakes from another vegan restaurant called Dophert, which are really good.

Pros: Some creative dishes, Nice flavours

Cons: Expensive, A clearer menu would be nice (a cold main course!)

Beautiful Place, mixed food - Edit

All in all it was a Good visit. Good looking restaurant, pleasant staff. The burger could have tasted more in my opinion. My girlfriend liked her Quinoa very much though.

Pros: All vegan, Stylish design

Great menu and delicious food - Edit

This is a perfect restaurant for lunch or dinner. You should make reservations for dinner because they are often full but you can just walk in for lunch. They have the best vegan Cesar salad we have tasted and we also had the yellow beet salad which was unique and yummy. The wait staff is friendly and they serve great beer on tap and coffee too. Also free wifi.

Pros: Yummy food, Great lunch prices, beautiful space

spicy kids do Amsterdam - Edit

Amazing service and delicious food. Serving staff amazing with answering question about but allergies despite all questions in English. We had the burger, quinoa fillet and double chocolate cake. A new restaurant that has it all right.

Pros: good serving sizes, quality of food and service amazing

Cons: almost missed it -- MD is sign in window

Beautiful location to eat - Edit

Nice location with good food. We had the summer sandwich and the MD burger and we were both satisfied with it. The products are fresh and tasty and for this result the prices are okay. We will come back the next time in Amsterdam

Pros: Location is nice, Food quality is very good

Cons: Little bit expensive but it is worth

MeatLess District - Packing A Punch - Edit

Look for the sign "MD" on the front.

Only one week old and they already have a healthy clientele, because they got it right from the start. Reasonably priced menu, good selection, open kitchen, friendly staff, very fast WiFi, comfortable seating arrangement & atmosphere and a great location,

I didn't try it, but the MD Burger looked amazing, with mayo and also with fries (extra). The Toasted Cheese sandwich (vegan) was very tasty. They are open for breakfast from 09:00 - 22:00.

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Location

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Meatless District closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.