Meals From The Heart Cafe

Contact 504-525-1953

1100 N Peters St Bay 13 (at French Market), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70126

Serves meat, vegan options available. Open air cafe in New Orleans Historic French Market. The concept is heart-healthy, offering food that have low sodium, cholesterol, and no tran fat. Sample items include grits, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta and bread, vegan blueberry pancake, brown rice, fruit salad, black bean burger, portobello mushroom sandwich, grill vegetables, brown rice plate, smoothies with non-dairy milk. There is a small counter for eating there, plus tables dotted around the market. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by CarolineMinLA

Good Gumbo but expensive - Edit

Gumbo was pretty good but it was a really small amount for how expensive it is. Both my food and my friend's was more expensive on the check than it was on the menu, by $2, before taxes. Coffee was really awful and overpriced. My meal ended up being $24 for ¾ cup scoop of gumbo and coffee I threw away.

Cons: overpriced

delicious food and accommodating chef - Edit

Absolutely delicious fresh and healthy food with servers providing creative options off the menu for vegans. Still lots of awesome veggie/vegan options! The apple patties are to die for - you'd swear they were sausage (without the grease and bad karma). Wait time for meals can be around 20-30 minutes but it is SO worth the wait. Counter seating (outside in the French market) can be warm in summer but servers keep you comfortable with cool water and fresh orange slices. We will definitely be back!!

great spot for vegans! - Edit

Found this place while in the French market and glad i did. plenty of vegan options and they were so nice and the service was quick.

Pros: vegan options healthy options quick service friend

great vegan breakfast - Edit

Open at 9! We got blueberry pancakes, amazing Apple sausage patties, grits with vegan cheese (cheese wasn't on the menu, ask for it). Love this place and the staff!

Pros: unique, healthy

Disgusting - Edit

I ordered take out from here through Grub hub. The tea came in a *used* water bottle. Literally. The bottle had sticky spots from someone scrubbing off the original label. Disgusting. The bread was squashed flat. The Beans and rice were inedible. I grew it all away for fear of food poisoning.

amazing vegan food (would give 5 stars if I could) - Edit

The vegan food here is amazing. I had the crab cake burger on gluten free bread and the gluten free pancakes. Both were absolutely delicious. However unfortunately the pancakes could not compete with the vegan crepe shop opposite which serves gluten free crepes which are to die for! Go to this place for dinner and to the crepe place for dessert!

Vegan-Friendly and Just Plain Friendly - Edit

Staff here were the most hospitable we encountered, in a town that values hospitality. "From the Heart" is more than just the name of the place. They really know what they're doing in that area; we felt like treasured guests. Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu, and they are happy to make changes on request. The blueberry pancakes and vegan protein shake were both wonderful. My wife had the pancakes sans blueberries (a custom request) and loved them so much she asked to go back the next day. We did.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff, tasty breakfast

Cons: no AC

Great place for vegan breakfast in NOLA - Edit

I randomly stumbled upon this place while strolling through the French Market on a Thursday morning right before the venue opened. My fiance and I had just landed in NOLA and were on the search for some vegan breakfast options when we saw the sign for Meals From The Heart Cafe, offering both vegan and gluten free options. All meals here are made from scratch and thus take 15-20 minutes to prepare, but it is well worth the wait. We both tried the vegan pancakes which came with vegan butter, walnuts, fresh fruit, and maple syrup. The meal was fabulous and the staff was incredibly welcoming! They also offer vegan salads, sandwiches, and smoothie, as well as desserts from Girls Gone Vegan.

Pros: Vegan breakfast

Delicious food, fabulous, friendly service! - Edit

I have now been to '...Heart Café' two times, and upon making my second visit, the proprietor greeted me by name, and welcomed me as warmly as he did on my first visit! It's a family-run business, and you can clearly see by the quality of the food that they all believe in what they are doing - and that is to serve up healthy, satisfying meals. There are several vegan options on the menu. On my first visit I enjoyed the Portobello Dinner Meal, which consisted of brown rice and vegetables, yummy portobello mushrooms sautéed with spinach, and a vegan olive oil garlic roll. IT WAS SO GOOD! Today I treated myself to their vegan pancakes, which were utterly delightful! I will most certainly be back for more of the family's scrummy food and friendly smiles! Next time I plan on trying out their nutritious Vegan Shake!

Pros: Food, Service

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Meals From The Heart Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.