Meals From The Heart Cafe

Contact 504-525-1953

1100 N Peters St, Bay 13 (at French Market), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70126

Serves meat, vegan options available. Open air cafe in New Orleans Historic French Market. The concept is heart-healthy, offering food that have low sodium, cholesterol, and no tran fat. Sample items include grits, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta and bread, vegan blueberry pancake, brown rice, fruit salad, black bean burger, portobello mushroom sandwich, vegetarian soups, grill vegetables, brown rice plate, smoothies with non-dairy milk. There is a small counter for eating there, plus tables dotted around the market. Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-6:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by CarolineMinLA

delicious food and accommodating chef - Edit

Absolutely delicious fresh and healthy food with servers providing creative options off the menu for vegans. Still lots of awesome veggie/vegan options! The apple patties are to die for - you'd swear they were sausage (without the grease and bad karma). Wait time for meals can be around 20-30 minutes but it is SO worth the wait. Counter seating (outside in the French market) can be warm in summer but servers keep you comfortable with cool water and fresh orange slices. We will definitely be back!!

great spot for vegans! - Edit

Found this place while in the French market and glad i did. plenty of vegan options and they were so nice and the service was quick.

Pros: vegan options healthy options quick service friend

great vegan breakfast - Edit

Open at 9! We got blueberry pancakes, amazing Apple sausage patties, grits with vegan cheese (cheese wasn't on the menu, ask for it). Love this place and the staff!

Pros: unique, healthy

Disgusting - Edit

I ordered take out from here through Grub hub. The tea came in a *used* water bottle. Literally. The bottle had sticky spots from someone scrubbing off the original label. Disgusting. The bread was squashed flat. The Beans and rice were inedible. I grew it all away for fear of food poisoning.

amazing vegan food (would give 5 stars if I could) - Edit

The vegan food here is amazing. I had the crab cake burger on gluten free bread and the gluten free pancakes. Both were absolutely delicious. However unfortunately the pancakes could not compete with the vegan crepe shop opposite which serves gluten free crepes which are to die for! Go to this place for dinner and to the crepe place for dessert!

Vegan-Friendly and Just Plain Friendly - Edit

Staff here were the most hospitable we encountered, in a town that values hospitality. "From the Heart" is more than just the name of the place. They really know what they're doing in that area; we felt like treasured guests. Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu, and they are happy to make changes on request. The blueberry pancakes and vegan protein shake were both wonderful. My wife had the pancakes sans blueberries (a custom request) and loved them so much she asked to go back the next day. We did.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff, tasty breakfast

Cons: no AC

Great place for vegan breakfast in NOLA - Edit

I randomly stumbled upon this place while strolling through the French Market on a Thursday morning right before the venue opened. My fiance and I had just landed in NOLA and were on the search for some vegan breakfast options when we saw the sign for Meals From The Heart Cafe, offering both vegan and gluten free options. All meals here are made from scratch and thus take 15-20 minutes to prepare, but it is well worth the wait. We both tried the vegan pancakes which came with vegan butter, walnuts, fresh fruit, and maple syrup. The meal was fabulous and the staff was incredibly welcoming! They also offer vegan salads, sandwiches, and smoothie, as well as desserts from Girls Gone Vegan.

Pros: Vegan breakfast

Delicious food, fabulous, friendly service! - Edit

I have now been to '...Heart Café' two times, and upon making my second visit, the proprietor greeted me by name, and welcomed me as warmly as he did on my first visit! It's a family-run business, and you can clearly see by the quality of the food that they all believe in what they are doing - and that is to serve up healthy, satisfying meals. There are several vegan options on the menu. On my first visit I enjoyed the Portobello Dinner Meal, which consisted of brown rice and vegetables, yummy portobello mushrooms sautéed with spinach, and a vegan olive oil garlic roll. IT WAS SO GOOD! Today I treated myself to their vegan pancakes, which were utterly delightful! I will most certainly be back for more of the family's scrummy food and friendly smiles! Next time I plan on trying out their nutritious Vegan Shake!

Pros: Food, Service

delicious smoothie - Edit

I can only comment on the smoothie, but I really appreciated a healthy option within the French quarter. The smoothie was thick and fruity. Delicious. Recommended for the hot New Orleans weather.

Pros: healthy, delicious

Yummy Vegan Options - Edit

I waited so long in line as I was there during Jazz Fest but it was worth the wait. I had the vegan shake and the vegan mini black bean burger. It was hands down the best vegan burger I ever had. The shake was beautiful and tasted as good as it looked. I wasn't going to order it until I saw someone else with it. I was so glad I did. The people that worked there were exceptionally nice. Wish I had discovered it before my last day as I would have eaten there every day.

Pros: Vegan options

yummy pancakes - Edit

My husband and I both had the vegan blueberry pancakes topped with walnuts and maple syrup on our last morning in New Orleans. They were great. We were the only ones there at 9am, and service was correspondingly attentive. I would go back anytime.

Pros: that it even exists, great food, friendly

nothing to be excited about - Edit

I went here after work one day. All they really have are vegan pancakes and a fruit salad. Nothing to crazy by any means. great morning breakfast meal but at 4 pm not so much. I wanted to try the chai and almond milk but they were out of almond milk. FYI it is in the french market have cash handy :)

Pros: good if you want breakfast

You'll love it! - Edit

On a business trip I ate here 6 days in a row, because the food is excellent and the service is very friendly. I had the gumbo, vegan pancakes, crab cakes, brown rice and veg, fruit salad, and fantastic vegan smoothie. All were very tasty and reasonably priced. Service couldn't be better, and any item can be taken out. Bring your non-veg and/or gluten-free friends; there's something here for everyone! If you don't see what you want on the menu, they'll make it for you anyway.

Pros: good value for healthy tasty food, friendly staff; take-out OK, vegan and gluten-free OK

Cons: In shaded outdoors only; no A/C

Puzzled by previous review - Edit

No vegetarian choices when I was there two days ago. I remembered seeing this restaurants name here and in guides and loved the idea of heart healthier food in an area with so many fried foods. They had healthier options, but not the healthiest heart foods-vegetarian. I was disappointed to not find anything to eat here. This restaurant deserves a 0, but thats not an option, so I had to give it a 1

Cons: No vegetarian foods

2 Responses

Averill Lazard Dear Monica, my name is Averill Lazard and I am co-owner of Meals From The Heart Cafe in the Historic French Market in New Orleans. I was very puzzled as to why you gave our restaurant a 1 rating in your review, when it seems as though you did not even try our food. Monica, MFTH is known for doing foods that are low to no sodium, no trans fats, gluten free offerings, low to no cholesterol, no fried foods, whole wheat/gluten free breads,fresh fruit, no pork products, and we don't sell sodas because we don't promote them. We also, do not use foods that have artificial colors or flavors, and we "do" have vegan and vegetarian offerings highlighted on our menu. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have on making our small 5 seat open air cafe the "healthiest heart foods."(see our reviews on Yelp.com)

Veg options clearly marked; friendly service - Edit

I stumbled on this place which is a little counter place located in the French Market. When I mentioned I was vegan the server showed me that all vegan/veganizable options on the menu were highlighted in yellow. They had an incredible black bean burger which made a perfect lunch. They also had a vegan protein shake. The service was very friendly.

Pros: Several vegan and veg options, Friendly, informed service

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Meals From The Heart Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4011 times since Mar 2011.