CLOSED: May's Ice Cream

Contact 713-270-5178

9250 Bellaire Blvd (at Diho Plaza), Houston, Texas, USA, 77036

Specializes in Vietnamese ice cream, bubble tea, and vegetarian entrees. Bubble tea can be made vegan upon request. Vegans be sure to check with server about food ingredients. Reported closed to HappyCow Jan 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by TexasVegan

A Family Favorite - Edit

My family's vegetarian and this place isn't too far away from where we live. We don't eat out a lot, but when we do, this is one of the places that gets considered - along with Pine Forest a little further down the street. It's not very clean and the staff is helpful, but it is a family-run place and as it is, I'm happy. The food here is delicious, filling, cheap, and not overly seasoned. From what I can tell, their entrees are all vegan. I'm usually too full to try any of their desserts so I can't help much there, but here are some tips for those of you who don't speak Chinese:

Just print (or write) this out on a piece of paper and show them--
這個有乳制品嗎? [Does this have dairy in it?]
我不吃乳制品. [I don't eat dairy products.]

Hopefully, that'll help!

Pros: delicious food, good prices

Cons: not very clean

Fun and simple chinese dining - Edit

This little place really puts out the yummy veggie fare. We enjoy the duck, the lamb, and the soups. Three generations of our family, including many non-vegetarians, consider this one of our favorite restaurants. Very inexpensive. We do refer to it as the 'dirty vegetarian' because the tables are sometimes a bit sticky. But - the food's worth it!

Pros: great food, inexpensive, cultural experience

Cons: tables grimy

Not Vegan - Edit

The staff are nice at May's Ice Cream. I've been vegan for the past two years and I started going here about 6 months ago because they had a vegan banner hung up just outside of the restaurant. It turns out that these chinese staff don't know what vegan meant no dairy animal products. I once asked the lady chef what mock meats they had used and she was nice enough to show me the packaging. As she handed it to me, she said "Everything vegan here" when the brand was Veggie Farm and they mostly contain whey. And just last week, I had ordered vegan shaved ice and they put condensed milk all over it. If you're vegan craving some vegan food, I would suggest you to go elsewhere.

Pros: nice staff

Cons: not vegan as claimed, not too clean

One Trip - Edit

I went here once, and the dish I ended up choosing was pretty tasty. The main issue I had here though is that I couldn't find anyone who spoke english well enough to tell me whether or not the items I was ordering were vegan or not. I haven't been in a while, but will try it again - I hear great things about their tofu desserts and bubble teas.

Pros: nice staff

Cons: location, can't tell what's vegan

one of my favorite spots - Edit

I love May's Ice Cream. They have great bubble tea and some fantastic affordable vegan dishes. I highly recommend their vegetarian pork chops. It comes with the pork chops, some greens, rice and a side dish all for $3.95. You cannot go wrong for that price. The vegetarian lobster is also great. I'd also add that I enjoy the atmosphere in May's. I feel like I'm actually in Vietnam. The staff is also very friendly, but some of them can't speak English and that can be confusing. I've had to skip the bubble tea once or twice because I wasn't sure that the person waiting on me understood I wanted soy milk. The only real cons about May's are that it's only about 4 blocks from Quan Yin, my other favorite vegetarian Asian food spot in Houston. This means that on the rare occasion that I make the trek from downtown to way out there I have to choose between one or the other. I can't lie, Quan Yin usually wins. When I'm low on funds, however, Mays can't be beat. Another con is that they use styrofoam cups, plates and bowls and their silverware isn't silver, it's plastic. Personally, that's a big turn off because I consider myself pretty environmentally conscious. Still, I always find my way back to May's.

Pros: inexpensive, great food and bubble tea

Cons: location, styrofoam & plastic

Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: May's Ice Cream closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1669 times since Aug 2007.