CLOSED: Maya Cafe Mediterranean Lifestyle - Wan Chai

Contact +852-25293319

1/F Flat B Yuk Yat Building, 2-4 Sun St, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Cafe est. 2013 previously at 5 Moon St; moved here & is now a reservation-only private kitchen (Jul 2015). Serves vegetarian, vegan, raw, and gluten-free food with influence from the Mediterranean regions. Owner and cook both speak English. Confirmed closed, Aug 2015. Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Raw, Mediterranean, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

First Review by locamike

Good vegan option in Hong Kong - Edit

While in Hong Kong on business for the past several months, it has been challenging to find a good vegetarian restaurant with vegan options. I went to Maya for lunch today and was pleased. Maya offers a set price lunch menu which, given Hong Kong prices, was in the reasonable ball park. I had the soup of the day, a nice tomato soup with peppers, followed by a cold pasta salad with whole grain pasta, tomatoes and I believe kale in a pasto sauce. Very nice on a hot, humid Hong Kong day like today. Then there was the "sweet ending" - my choice was a brown rice pudding, which was very good. The servings were a nice size for lunch and I left feeling satisfied but not stuffed. Maya was very comfortable for an English speaker, which I can't say for some of the Chinese vegetarian places I've tried in Hong Kong. I will return to Maya soon.

Good Food with Vegan and Raw options - Edit

Small veggie place, with friendly staff who are well informed about the contents of the menu. Food is tasty, high quality and a reasonable price for the good sized portions received.
Plenty of vegan and raw options on the menu, with most of the dessert options being vegan.
Overall, very impressed and going back soon, with friends!!

Pros: Tasty, Good quality, Nice staff and atmosphere

Cons: Small, Book ahead on weekends

dairy cheese on the vegan option - Edit

I ordered the risotto which is listed on the menu as vegan with cashew cream but when it arrived it was covered in dairy cheese. The rice was not risotto rice and looked mushy. Perhaps the staff were new because the menu was written with understanding of vegans but if you eat here stress what you won't eat even if it looks safe. Good juices.

Food not bad but oh so overpriced - Edit

My boyfriend and I had dinner here a couple days back. We didn't see anything to our liking on the set dinner menu, so we ordered a la carte and got two entrees—the mushroom-parmesan-sunflower seed stuffed eggplants (HK$182) and the frittata (HK$158), both of which came with a small bowl of spinach salad.

My BF said the eggplants were good (I didn't get a taste because they weren't vegan), and my frittata wasn't bad either, but in no way should they be worth that much. They were nothing more than eggplants over a tomatoey brown rice and some tofu-potato-pea concoction with tomato sauce, which probably cost them what, HK$15 to make? Plus, they were already prepared and only had to be reheated (I did hear the microwave go off). I have no problem spending a bit more on meals as long as the value is right, but this just wasn't it. Well, Wanchai is the wealthiest district in Hong Kong, so I guess they have to charge exorbitant prices to pay the rent. The three-course option at HK$248 would have been a slightly better deal, but the selection was so uninteresting. In fact, the entire menu is lackluster, and after you take out the non-vegan stuff, there really isn't much left to choose from... unless you don't mind getting ripped off for things like dal, quinoa salad, zucchini noodles, vegetable stew with brown rice, yada yada yada. Needless to say I won't be back anytime soon.

Cons: poor value, boring menu

YUM - Edit

Everything here is super delicious, they use delicious spices that give their dishes a unique flavor which I absolutely love. Great juices too! The offer raw dishes as well which is a nice option. Have been here several times and I always come back, they have never disappointed me here :)

Maya Cafe, Hong Kong - Edit

I had dinner here with the local meet up group. 200 bucks honky for all vegan nibbles and booze free sangria to start with, raw food gazpacho then a vegan tofu frittata. Dessert was chocolate mousse. Very tasty indeed.

I've had bigger portions in other places but all things together it was about the right portion size. Nice setting and the service was fine also.

Not for anyone at a time when they are on a tight budget.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food

Cons: A little pricey

UNEXPECTED YUMMYNESS! - Edit

I went to Maya Cafe the other day because I got 2 FREE juices (anyone can get it if you download an app called LOCACLICK on googleplay or apple appstore) and everything is so good! The juices are fun and healthy, and you must absolutely try the desserts!!!
The location is also awesome; near star street but you wouldn't feel you're in wanchai... it's so quiet and peaceful.

Pros: friendly staff, the desserts are good

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Maya Cafe Mediterranean Lifestyle - Wan Chai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1875 times since Apr 2013.