First Review by Poundie

was expecting more - Edit

When I read the reviews I expected a big selection... Considering there are few vegan/vegetarian markets the selection was good. But I felt lost on what's good or not. I tried the two different "wings"... Made with sugar canes chunks... They were not at all appetizing. I was able to sample the "half chicken" while I was there and thought it tasted good. I haven't cooked it yet though. I was surprised they didn't have bean curd sheets, an item I read could make the fake wings I love from red bamboo soooo much.

Pros: half chicken

Cons: chicken wings, smoked wings

The Same Analogs Restaurants Serve, But Cheaper - Edit

If you are in NYC, whether living here or visiting, and you are vegetarian or vegan, you owe it to yourself to visit this market. It is the mother lode of vegan meat analogs, and pretty much every type of Asian mock meat can be found here, everything from mock beef, chicken and fish to more off-beat offerings like mock lobster, crab and even salmon. I have been shopping here for years and have grown very fond of certain products more than others. The Citrus Spare Ribs and Lemon Chicken are highly addictive, whereas the vegan fish sticks, while a nice try, pale in comparison to the Gardein Golden Fishes Filets, in my opinion.

A few caveats: although the package labeling has gotten much better over the years, the preparation directions are still somewhat vague, so my suggestion would be to prepare many of the products as you would their regular meat counterparts. Some of the products are delicious on their own, heated up right from the package, while others could use some veggies or a simple black bean sauce, or some other type of sauce.

One word of caution: a few of the offerings have egg (or at least did have egg), but everything is very clearly marked, so you shouldn't have a difficult time finding vegan offerings, since almost everything in the store is vegan.

Aside from the frozen and refrigerated selections, they also carry vegan Asian condiments and sauces, vegan Ramen noodles (I know, not very good for you, but still nice once in a while) and lots of vegan noodles and other Asian staples.

All in all, if you're looking for mock meats, most of the same ones the Asian restaurants serve in Chinatown and all over the city, there is where should should go. You'll save a lot of money, the staff are very friendly, and you'll be able to cook some of these same restaurant dishes at home.

Pros: Lots of variety, Inexpensive, Friendly Service

A substitute - Edit

We did not visit their store but came across their products at a vegan rally happening in Union Sq. They gave us free bags to take away and try- we had basil chick'n and orange chick'n.
They were alright and went well as part of a stiry-fry type meal, the orange was a bit too much for me- a bit sickly.

I know we also got a bag of 'ready to eat' pieces or jerky to snack on- I wasn't a fan of these I'm afraid, but they may be great for other who like jerky type foods!

The"SOURCE" got fake meats - Edit

Been a customer of May Wah for years, they have a large selection of imported mock meats. Most are frozen and travel well. Many of the stuff they carry is no vegan, but it is clearly labeled and the staff is very helpful. If you have eaten any mock meat dishes in NYC or beyond there is a good chance they came from May Way

Pros: Large Selection, Friendly, Knowledgable staff

Cons: Lots of non-vegan items, Parking tough in area

may wah - Edit

The four large bags of veggie meat we got ($155.00) turned out to be high in an oily fat. The Vege Pepper Steak has 735 mg of sodium per piece (3" x 2" or 165 grams/5.75 oz). They state it as 245 mg per 1/3 piece. Rarely does one find a USA made veggie tv dinner (10+/- oz) or a burger with so much sodium. Having bought low-sodium, dried soy protein chunks, we know that sodium isn't high in the plant. Although, food processors often claim it is. There is 11 grams of protein in a piece. The label does not state that oil is added, which we believe to be a labeling law violation. We found the only way to lower the fat was to boil the mock meat and pour off what oil we could. There will always be more oil left in them. Mah Wah's veggie meats are unlike the texturized soy protein made in America. There is much more of a fiberous texture. Often the meats look like tofu skin was compressed into a shape.

Great stuff, great variety - Edit

Everyone knows MayWah rules. We used to order huges boxes to be shipped to Boston. Now I buy stuff when they come up for the BVS Food Festival, or stop in when I am in NYC.

The fake meat is so good, some restaurants use it. The Citrus Spareribs will blow you away. Same with the Salted Chik'n, Gong Bao, etc. Buy the "veg meat steaks" and cut them up for stir-fry or do absolutely anything that you would do with a piece of boneless chicken with them. My favorite thing (and really a bargain) is the giant "tube" of "smoked ham, chicken flavor." I cut it into cubes for the most incredible vegan Chicken pot pie or chicken salad.
They do not claim to be health food, but I think most of the stuff, while maybe a little high in fat, is pretty healthy. The website is much clearer than it used to be in terms of what is vegan and what isn't. And if you go to the store, Lily or one of the guys will help you out!

Pros: Variety, Prices, Helpful staff

Cons: Shipping, if you aren't in NY

Lot's of chinese vegen food - Edit

There is lot's of chinese vegetarian food here at a reasonable price. But a check of the ingrediants will show that most of the food is laden with chemicals and not particularly healthy.

Pros: Nice variety, much here tastes good, good price

Cons: Not healthy

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has May Wah Vegetarian Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2643 times since Aug 2007.