May-Wa

719-589-9559

620 Main St, Alamosa, Colorado, USA, 81101

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small, family-run Chinese and Vietnamese food restaurant. Offers numerous vegetable and tofu dishes. Note that the all brown sauces contain oyster sauce (includes garlic sauce and sesame sauce), so be sure to specify if you are veg. The white sauce and peanut sauces are vegan suitable. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by sferd

Pit Stop. - Edit

On my way through town, I stopped here for a quick bite to eat. The waitress seemed a bit confused about what I meant by vegan, but seemed to understand when I explained to her, other than the fish sauce. Thankfully, I had read the previous review and knew to ask about the different sauces, which reminded her that she should be telling me not to order anything with those sauces. They were unable to substitute the sauce in any of the dishes. I ordered a cold noodle dish and fresh rolls, which were really great. The whole ordering thing was an issue, but the food sortof made up for it.

Good Asian food in the middle of a 'food desert' - Edit

After a long drive and strenuous hike, we were hungry for some veggies. Having done some preliminary research on Alamosa, I knew there weren't a lot of options for food. We decided to try May-Wa hoping at least for some sauteed veggies.

A young, helpful woman came to take our order. She was unsure of vegan choices and checked with the kitchen. We were happy to hear the restaurant's tofu was not breaded. However, she informed us that all the 'brown' sauces contained a small amount of oyster sauce--except the peanut sauce. She said their white sauce was very good and vegan.

We decided on some fresh spring rolls which contained lightly fried tofu, lettuce and rice noodles. They were served with a peanut sauce. Although it was nice that the tofu was not the pre-fried rubbery stuff, the spring rolls were OK--not great. (Did I mention we are spring roll snobs?)

After hearing about the brown sauce, the woman suggested we get a tofu vegetable noodle bowl with peanut sauce (it is usually served with fish sauce). The dish was a kind of noodle salad with lightly fried tofu, vegetables and cilantro. This was a terrific light dish. Not the best entree to share, but you can't have everything. We also got the sauteed broccoli which was perfectly prepared. It was still crunchy and served with a few other veggies (including zucchini).

We thought we might have to eat in our hotel room due to Alamosa's small restaurant scene, so it was a nice surprise to find such great service and tasty food at May-Wa.

FYI--our total (including hot tea) was $20.

Pros: Fresh veggies, Friendly staff, Inexpensive

Cons: Brown sauces contain oyster sauce, No brown rice

Return to Alamosa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has May-Wa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.