CLOSED: May Trang - White Cloud

Contact 0912143647

299 Au Co (at Tay Ho District), Hanoi, Vietnam,

Vegan restaurant established 2010 at 2 Ngo 12 Dang Thai Mai and moved here in Oct 2015. Slow food menu, available in English. Complimentary tea. English spoken. Kitchen closes 2-5:30pm. APR 2016 REPORTED SHUT, REPLACED BY SESAME.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Delivery, Take-out, Catering, Vietnamese

First Review by earthville

May Trang - Edit

We enjoyed our dinner here we had a plate of braised shitake,a plate of mixed vegetables, a plate of brown rice noodles and 4 fresh spring rolls. All beautifully prepared by the owner/chef Ms Thuy. I had a glass of 12 seeds milk smoothie (soy milk)For the two of us the bill was resonable just under ($15) 350.000d

Pros: No 'mock' meats, exceptionally friendly chef and waitress, good size serving

Closed till 28/7/15 - Edit

We've been there yesterday and found out that it is closed till the end of july! So i can not say how it was

absolutely phenomenal - Edit

May is an amazing cook. My friend and I ordered a random selection of dishes off the menu, and they were all surprising and delicious and absolutely fresh. Highly recommended. The best place we ate in Hanoi.

Best vegan place in hanoi, hands down - Edit

Simple, delicious, inexpensive, healthy vegan food prepared by a lovely lady. I've lived in Hanoi for a year and go here at least twice a week. It says expensive on the listing above but its inexpensive.
Thuy (Twee) is alone in the kitchen so if you want to go try and call about an hour before - 04 6258 1622 - 0912 143 647.

Pros: fully vegan, good good, quiet spot

Really nice restaurant - Edit

We went here for our first meal in Hanoi and were exceptionally pleased. We have lived in San Francisco, New York, and Singapore, so are used to a lot of good food, but May Trang blew us off.

First, as other reviewers noted, the food takes a while to come. We were actually very happy about this fact because it means that they were preparing everything from scratch, rather than mixing pre-cooked ingredients or just warming up pre-cooked food, as is very common in Singapore, China, India, and elsewhere.

The meal started with delicious wheat gluten cooked with lemongrass and chili, followed by excellent fried mushroom. The batter was perfectly crisp but yet the dish was not oily. We then finished off with a soup and a slow cooked grilled eggplant, both delicious. The eggplant was particularly tender and smoky - in our experience, most restaurants end up frying the eggplant instead of grilling it, which ends up killing all natural flavors.

We'll definitely go here again. Highly recommended.

(Some people noted that it was a bit hard to find. We asked a few locals on the way, who were extremely helpful, so got there without getting lost).

Pros: Freshly cooked food, Delicate flavors, Slow cooked food

Fresh food for weekend! - Edit

I've been to this place twice. The food is different from most of the other vegetarian place in Hanoi. It is very clean and fresh. A good place to hang out once in a while. And it takes a while for the food to be ready!

Very good. - Edit

We missed it the first time we went out there. The cab driver was no help, either. The second time I tried, I called and had the owner come outside to greet us. The owner speaks English and is very friendly. The food, while it takes a while to make, is very fresh and delicious. (See pics). Don't expect to be served quickly but you'll enjoy the food when it does finally arrive. We had 4 dishes, a drink and 2 desserts for about $10. Free tea.

Pros: Fresh food, Friendly staff, English speaking

Cons: Slow kitchen

Our favorite restaurant in Vietnam - Edit

Incredible food and the owner/chef is really sweet and helpful. I loved how she said our order had too much protein and gave us suggestions on how to change the order, really felt like being at someone's home. Though food can sometimes take a really long time but was well worth the wait. My favorite dish was a fried mung bean dish, amazing and not greasy at all. It also is a little off the beaten path but again so worth it. We went twice.

Great, unassuming family run restaurant - Edit

This is a classic style Vietnamese family run restuarant. The restaurant is located in a small building and is modestly decorated with causual bamboo tables and chairs. There was no music playing, so it was nice and peaceful. The mains on the menu are a wide variety of mainly tofu or gluten, cooked in some tradition Vietnamese styles. I ordered the fried gluten with lemongrass and chili, brown rice, and pumpkin soup. The owner (I think) asked if I was hungry and when I said no, she cut the order size in half, which I thought was very generous. The food arrived quickly and was all tasty. The fried gluten should have contained more chilis, however, as it did not contain enough to give it the required kick. THe pumpkin soup was chunks of pumpkin in a light broth - very good. The brown rice contain red or black beans which colored the rice. I wasn't sure whether it was actually brown rice or not. However, it too was very good. This is not fancy dining, but I love the real, family-owned feel of the place. I will be back.

Pros: Quiet and very comfortable, Fast service, Friendly

A delightful find! - Edit

May Trang (White Cloud) was well worth the trip. Well-prepared, tasty vegan Vietnamese staples plus some creative inventions, served by very sweet people in a casual, tasteful setting. I (a vegan) took two carnivores and we all enjoyed the meal. They make their own seitan and mung bean cake (like tofu, but made with mung beans instead of soybeans, with a pleasant, mild flavor). I was quite impressed with the ingenuity with which they made very healthy ingredients into well-balanced, flavorful meals. Prices are very reasonable too.

I'd go back again and again...

Pros: Creative vegan cuisine, Healthy ingredients, Warm, friendly service with good English

Cons: none to speak of

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: May Trang - White Cloud closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5315 times since Oct 2010.