CLOSED: May Kaidee

• ( 218 reviews )

59 Tanao Rd, Banglamphu, Bangkok, Thailand

Long-established vegetarian restaurant in Bangkok by friend of Cow, May Kaidee. Serves vegan food menu of Thai dishes. The location is near Khao Sarn Rd, in alley behind Burger King. Upstairs is a vegetarian cooking school with also balcony seating for restaurant guests. Offers all-you-can-eat buffet on Saturdays from 6pm. NOTE: Oct 2020 reported closed by owner via private message - please let happycow know if it reopens. Closed Mon.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Thai, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by amonroea

LauraZr

Points +1992

22 Dec 2020

Good Curries

We went here twice with some years in between, I think it was better the first time, it felt less authentic the last time we went. Food was more sweet and less spicy the last time but not that surprising given its proximity to Khao San road.

Updated from previous review on 2017-09-10

Esrahummus

Points +92

31 Mar 2020

I was very excited to go to May Kaidee's because I love their restaurant in Chiang Mai. But the food here was avarage and the staff was SUPER UNFRIENDLY. They didn't say a word and didn't even look at us. We didn't feel welcome at all and won't come back for sure.. Maybe it's because of the Covid-19 outbreak that staff is rude to foreigners, I don't know..

may_kaidee_team

08 Sep 2020

Apologies for taking so long to comment on your post, and many apologies about your experience at our restaurant. The staff didn't mean to be rude but we're very upset during the time you visited. Due to the public health crisis we had already accepted the fact we would have to close long term. Not only our Bangkok Tanao Rd. location, but all locations in Thailand. As you can imagine this was very traumatic for the team. Hopefully someday in the future years from now we will be able to open new locations. Be safe and take care.

piffelina

Points +3510

28 Mar 2020

GREAT!

I was here 3 times in two days in January. My favorite being the fried seaweed! Green curry had slightly too big chunks of veggies.

I agree that some of the staff felt a little disengaged, but it made me try harder to be a little nice, because at least I was on vacation.

I took a day cooking course here and it was GREAT! I learned so many new things and it was a lot of fun.

Bozena

Points +682

10 Mar 2020

Ok

The food was tasty but average.
Nothing special.

Pros: Vegan options

BarakCohen

Points +335

Vegetarian
08 Mar 2020

Iconic vegiterian restaurant of Thailand

I first ate in May kaidee when it was a good stall on the street in 1995
I was run by 3 lovely sisters and since it turn to be one of my all time favorite vegiterian restaurant in Asia .
Don't miss it especially the suterday evening buffet !

Pros: Mostly vegan

Cons: Not air conditioning

AgataPrzondziono

Points +108

06 Mar 2020

Delicious flavours mix

On more than one occasion I had a chance to enjoy the amazing food here. From fresh spring rolls in peaunt sauce my favourite to all traditional Thai dishes but with a new twist. This restaurant is a must. Delicious food, and not at all that pricy

DavidGottlieb

Points +54

28 Feb 2020

Still going strong in 2020

Wow, how many years has this place been going? May Kaidee is most likely in New York city but, her restaurant in Bangkok is as tasty as ever. Strong points for being a early purveyor of vegan food in Thailand as well as the world. As for the food. Still really good.

Pros: All Vegan, Simply delicious , Open at night and has cooking classes

LucaSelvaggio

Points +106

26 Feb 2020

Our favourite place in Bangkok!

Good portions, cheap prices and good location. We loved it there. We will definitely go back next time we go to Bangkok

Pros: Amazing food, Great prices

AmitKramer

Points +426

24 Feb 2020

Delicious

So cheap and yummy. Very recommended

frankie_p

Points +45

Vegetarian
12 Feb 2020

Good food, Slow service

I had the Thai green curry with tofu and it was delicious, but as others have said, it was slow to come!

Pros: Menu has pictures and English , Really good choice of dishes

Cons: Slow service, Off a dirty side street, a little hard to find

MathildeRobichaud

Points +82

06 Feb 2020

Really good

I highly recommend trying the spring rolls and fried rice with vegetarian sausage! I understand people saying the service is poor, but the taste is wow! For two people with two beverages, a spring rolls starter and our meals, it cost us 410 B. Its the equivalent of 17,50 cad.

Pros: Beaucoup d’options vegan, Cheap, Bon goût

Cons: Service

FelixPerrella

Points +76

29 Jan 2020

Vegano autentico e saporito

Ottima esperienza, locale easygoing, tavolini e ventilatori, pareti in legno, menù contenuto con belle proposte: smoothie e piatti di riso, noodles e curry. Ho preso due cose tipiche della casa e mi sono trovato bene. Economico, saporito, staff cortese e assente. Si sta bene, fa anche ottime colazioni.

Pros: Vegano, Saporito , Rilassante

Catchi

Points +58

16 Jan 2020

Cheap and decent

The food was nice and cheap but it lacked flavour. The staff are not friendly at all and it took an hour for our food to come. There is a wide selection of options and you can really fill up. I would go here once if you want a decent selection of vegan food😄

Pros: A lot of vegan options, Cheap

Cons: Long wait

ontbijtjezondereitje

Points +621

12 Jan 2020

Love this place!

Good food, nice staff, good price and vegan all you can eat buffet, do I have to say more?!

AnimalRights

Points +24

12 Jan 2020

1-Star

The food was just OK; no ambience to the place on a rather dirty back street; but it was the poor service that truly ruined the experience for us. The server was extremely rude and noncommunicative.

Updated from previous review on 2020-01-12

Pros: Vegan, Large menu, Food OK

Cons: Rudeness, Unattractive place

smantaaa_

Points +525

07 Jan 2020

Go for Thai food

I always come here whenever I have a chance. Food always bomb and not too expensive. I think all dishes it’s good for foreigner. It tastes like authentic Thai but not that spicy like when I eat at home. Overall it’s good but don’t expect much for service. By the way Tom Kha is to die for.

Pros: Many Thai food options, All vegans

Cons: Poor service , My spoon wasn’t clean -.-

DavidRiff

Points +186

05 Jan 2020

Incroyable

Nourriture vegan et thaï. Pas trop épicé, et buffet à volonté le samedi soir pour un prix très correct

Andy88

Points +152

28 Dec 2019

Amazing Buffet!!!

The Saturday Night Buffet for 150 Baht it’s soooo delicious! They have different curryies, pad thai, fresh rolles, spring rolles, pumkin hummus, papaya salad, mango sticky rice, ....

Pros: Cheap, A lot of options

Cons: Only on Saturday evening:(

Lesha75

Points +92

28 Dec 2019

Not as good as expected

The food was kinda tasteless.
I had the deep fried tofu and the Pad Thai. You can have better food on the street for way cheaper.

Cons: Expensive and not that good.

oachkatzl80

Points +289

14 Dec 2019

Tasty Thai food

Very good food, lots of choises but not the cheapest option

Pros: Very good food

Cons: Bit expensive

missrunning

Points +230

10 Dec 2019

My favorite restaurant

It is really my favorite restaurant. Unfortunately I live 9000 km away.

Take part in one of their cooking class - it is a lot of fun, and a lot to eat 😂

AndréDias

Points +162

07 Dec 2019

Reallyyyy noice

Super tasty food

Pros: Taste food, Plenty of options, Saturday dinner buffet for 150bt

AmyG

Points +84

18 Nov 2019

Really lovely atmosphere and tasty food

Tucked away behind khao San road, this place feels so peaceful after the craziness that is so close by. The atmosphere is lovely and relaxed and the staff are really friendly. The food is very tasty. We had spring rolls to start; we tried the fried ones and the uncooked ones and both we really delicious but the uncooked ones were my favourite, mainly because of the delicious satay sauce!!!

Pros: Loads of vegan options, Friendly staff, Inexpensive

Cons: Very large chunks of vegetables in soup and curry

lilo13

Points +57

16 Nov 2019

bananaflowersalad

One of the best restaurants !!!!!

Emmarosen

Points +60

15 Nov 2019

Cooking class

Amazing cooking class. Great food. Pad Thai can be made vegan with no egg.

feefer3

Points +65

08 Nov 2019

Delicious

It was absolutely delicious! So flavorful, with attention to detail. We had the banana blossom salad, and I would go back to eat this over and over. We also had the kee mao and the Panang curry. Homemade noodles and homemade tofu. They even have a cooking class on making tofu

Pros: Make their own tofu, Make their own noodles, Super fresh produce

KrpaMaya

Points +266

23 Oct 2019

Sushi rolls

The food was delicious. I liked that I could omit gluten and soy easily from my dishes.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Raw options, Priced well

Cons: Too much sugar in dishes

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has May Kaidee closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.