Max Pett

Contact 089-55869119

Pettenkoferstrasse 8, Munich, Germany, 80336

Est. Nov 2010 by vegan owners. No alcohol served but a wide selection of alcohol free wines and even champagne. Cash or debit card. Must call ahead as open days and hours are irregular. NOTE 2015: reported concerns with staff -- see reviews.

Category: Vegan, Fusion, German

First Review by chribuch

max Pett - Edit

My boyfriend and I had lunch there. He had the "wiener schnitzel" which was really really good! I had the "kässpatzn" they were good too but really really oily!!! There was so much oil in it that i felt sick after eating almost half of it :( it put 5 spoons full of oil out of it and it was still super oily :( that was pretty disappointing.
I recommend to book a table because it was full when we arrived.

Vegan Love in the Heart of Munich - Edit

We regularly visit Munich and Max Pett is a gem in the city.
It is easy to reach, by underground at Sendlinger Tor or tram 17. Also 7 minute walk from the train station.
Be aware the opening hours changed and this week they open at 11:30. Check before you come.
The staff is extremly friendly and born to serve.
The food is always delicious with the right portion of salad included into your main meal. It is always tasty and creative on New menus.
Daily menü is below 10 EUR.
Lately during main hours it is better to reserve your seat in advance as it become a very popular place, for the right reason.
We would Love to thank all the staff for the great tasty meals and the servise....

Das meiste sehr gut - Edit

Dem Max Pett muss man allein deshalb die Treue halten, weil es das erste rein vegane Restaurant in München war (mal abgesehen vom Tushita Teehaus, welches aber halt kein reines Restaurant ist).
Ich finde man kann im Max Pett schön draußen sitzen, drinnen ist es ok, aber das ist geschmackssache...
Die meisten Gerichte, die ich dort in den letzen 6 Jahren (mit mehreren Besuchen jährlich) gegessen habe, waren sehr gut. Allerdings schleicht sich dann doch das eine oder andere Essen darunter, das ziemlich lahm ist.

Ebenso lahm kann auch die Bedienung sein. Es gab leider schon Tage, an denen ich meine gute Laune nur der "veganen Sache" wegen behalten habe; in einem anderen Lokal wäre ich gegangen. Aber es gab auch genauso viele Tage mit exzellentem Service...

Zusammenfassend:
Wer traditionelle (Fleisch-)Küche gerne vegan mag, der ist hier genau richtig. Als einmaliges Erlebnis immer ein Besuch wert, auf Dauer dann für meinen Geschmack etwas langweilig und einfach. Und die Preise dafür dann doch relativ hoch.

Pros: Good food, Outdoor sitting

Cons: Sometimes bad service

Delicious food - Edit

The restaurant offers a menu with some local cuisine options. You can seat outside and enjoy the weather. The service was fast and nice.

Pros: All vegan. Some traditional Bavarian dishes.

Cons: Expensive

Great food, crap service - Edit

This was our second visit, after coming a few years ago when visiting Munich. Got there about 4 to book for later and the guy was as friendly as anything but when we came back or booking had been crossed it and our table at the back given to someone else; we were squeezed in right by the kitchen but no-one apologised. We were disappointed that the set menu was no longer available (at 6.30pm...) so ordered from the main menu: the food is really good and there's a reasonable number of choices without being too many, don't expect a cheap meal though. Cakes are lovely, I've rarely tasted such refined vegan cakes! Coffee was not nice, not sure why, plus we were charged 1 euro for each(tiny) glass of tap water... come on guys! And yeah, service was terrible, but I think it was just one of the waitresses and the other was ok.

Sunday lunch in a city where most places are closed - Edit

Arriving from Verona on train on a Sunday Max Prett was a welcomed relief from train junk food. I ordered the raw bowl and my friend the nachos. My meal was delicious, well sized and well priced. The staff were chilled and friendly. I'll admit at times I find restaurant servers intimidating so their warm demeanour was greatly appreciated.

Pros: Serving size, Friendly staff, Chill vibe

Cons: the nachos have a lot of soy cheese

literally the best restaurant - Edit

I've been here at least ten or more times and I've never been disappointed with neither the food nor the staff. their faux meat is amazing (get the schnitzel!) and their specials are always creative and delicious as well. the best dishes are probably the nachos, semmelknoedel, the truffle ravioli (actually everything is delicious!) and the avocado ice cream is to die for! i come here every time i visit munich and the staff is always smiling and helpful; truly a great restaurant and a place you must try out !

Pros: beautiful interior, every dish is delicious, lovely staff

Great ice cream, good cake - Edit

We went to Max Pett on a hot day to have some cake and ice cream.

The homemade ice cream was delicious! I had chocolate, hazlenut nougat and peanut (this was the best of the three). Overall, there must've been at least 10 flavours to choose from - there were around 6 on the regular menu and more on the seasonal menu. Flavours looked pretty awesome and creative (avocado, cucumber-lemon...), but I felt like good ol' chocolate.
My "Knusperbecher" also came with homemade caramelized nuts, homemade caramel sauce and vegan whipping cream. Yum!

My boyfriend had an apricot-marzipan cake. It looked fantastic and tasted good, though the marzipan taste could have been stronger. The piece was enormous as well, almost a meal by itself.

I'd ordered a coffee as well, that never arrived but didn't turn up on the check either so it wasn't a big deal. Staff was very friendly and I would've asked for it once more but my ice cream was quite enough so I didn't.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was very nice, the furniture and decoration was modern but homely and the outdoor seating was beautiful on that warm day. We liked how Max Pett has a "proper restaurant atmosphere" rather than a "hip and trendy vegan food bar feel". We thought that this might make people eat there that would usually not go to vegan places. (I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say)

Max Pett definitely isn't the cheapest place to go. However, considering creativity, atmosphere, the work that goes into making the delicious food (almost everything is homemade) and the quality of the products, I think prices are fair.

Pros: Creative and delicious high quality food, Great atmosphere, So many choices!

Excellent Bavarian Vegan Dishes - Edit

Vegan "Radler" non-alcoholic beer, Kaiserschmarrn, bread dumplings with mushroom sauce...all typical Bavarian food in the middle of Munich city at "Sendlinger Tor" subway stop. Excellent house lemonade (lemon & mint). Friendly staff. Quiet spot in middle of city. Nice outdoor seating under three large trees. Non-Bavarian dishes, too.

Pros: Vegan true Bavarian food, in the middle of town

Nice place, delicious food - Edit

You pay a bit more than the average, but the food is really delicious.
They have some veganized traditional dishes, home-made ice cream, and specials that change from time to time (currently arabian).

Pros: Tastes very good, Wide range of dishes and drinks

Ok - Edit

Das Restaurant ist schön, die Bedienungen sind eher alternativ und freundlich. Hier wird viel mit Ersatzprodukten gekocht, weshalb man auch Wiener Schnitzel und Käsespätzle finden. Besonders das Schnitzel ist zu empfehlen. Ich stehe nicht so sehr auf Fleischersatz etc und hatte deshalb Nudeln, die leider mit viel zu viel Soße kamen, was nicht so lecker war.
Einen Pluspunkt gibt es für das Glas Leitungswasser, das schon für ca 1€ zu haben ist.

Pros: Traditionelles Essen vegan gekocht

Cons: Viele Ersatzprodukte im Essen

Just OK! - Edit

The food was good, and the waiter was friendly.

It's a bit pricey, and I found the food to be fatty. It took forever to get a main dish after we finished with starter, and then again forever to get dessert.
In general, not a bad place, but for sure not the best vegan place in Munich!

Pros: good food

Cons: long waiting time in between the dishes, price

vegan & alcohol-free - Edit

One of our favourite places to take out friends for a dinner (or to celebrate anniversaries) and to have delicious ice cream in summer.
Don't forget to make a reservation!

Pros: great food, delicious ice cream, awesome cakes

Cons: usually very crowded, sometimes slow service

I love it - Edit

Ho amato questo posto, ci sono stata in estate, abbiamo mangiato fuori, il posto è davvero carino e tutto il menù invitante.
Il posto è un po' caro, ma le porzioni abbondanti.
Se dovessi tornare a Monaco ci tornerei sicuramente.
Consiglio di prenotare, noi abbiamo trovato posto perchè due persone avevano disdetto!

Pros: super tasty, Relaxing atmosphere , good location

Cons: A bit pricey

You must visit this restaurant if you are vegan! - Edit

You must, must eat at Max Pett. My husband and I have been vegan 25 and 26 years respectively, and I think this is the best food I have ever eaten and believe me, we love to eat. We have gone three times to the restaurant in two days and it is not because there is a dearth of vegan restaurants here. There is not. They are abundant. However, the food is so delicious. For example, we both had the truffle ravioli. It is the best pasta dish I have ever had. It is so flavorful and rich in taste. Every dish is a generous portion, which we also love. The cakes are divine. We had a Spanish vanilla cake, and a raw chocolate cake and both were delicious. The ice cream is magnificent. My spouse had the crunchy ice cream dish, with nougat and other favors of ice cream and it was fantastic. marcel, our server for each visit is friendly, efficient, nice, and a great photographer (you can see his photographs on the wall). You must have reservations since it gets extremely busy and you may be turned away. Do not miss this dining opportunity. (I wanted to add this update.)

Wonderful vegan restaurant with numerous choices. I had spinach dumplings that were savory and delicious. The terrific surprise was that they had an extensive non-alcoholic beer and non-alcoholic wine list. They even had non-alcoholic sparkling wine. The deserts look so scrumptious, but my spouse and I were so full from the generous portions, that we could not indulge. This is definitely a place to come if you are vegan, you will not be disappointed!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 25, 2015

Pros: Whole restaurant is vegan, Many many options, Many non-alcoholic beers & wines

Cons: Must have a reservation,

Good Food - Edit

I really like the restaurant... all food I tasted was good so far! It is a bit expensive though...
I can definitly recommend the place for a nice dinner out ☺
For my boy-friend who has a soy and nut allergy it was nearly impossible to find something that he liked... the help for him to find something was moderate..

good but expensive - Edit

very good food, 100% vegan, but very pricy. For a nice friday evening dinner perfect. The staff was very friendly. The drinks came a bit late but not a problem at all.

Pros: 100% vegan

Cons: pricy, not much choice for main menu

good food, not so good service - Edit

Once you have managed to book a table there and to get served, the food really is not so bad. Max Pett definitely deserves some points for being completely vegan, for the amount of choices and for some of the food which is very good. However, the service really is not great (e.g. we were completely forgotten a while ago, had to re-order everything an hour later and still had to wait ages for our 2 meals) and sadly, I feel like the taste of the food has deteriorated over the last couple of years. I would still recommend the place as it right in the city centre, it is completely vegan and really the food is not so bad. However, I would say there are much better places in Munich.

Pros: location, price

Cons: service

nothing special - Edit

Mich hat dieses Restaurant nicht begeistern können, das Essen war durchschnittlich, nichts besonderes und der Service liess sehr zu wünschen übrig: der Tisch wurde nach dem vorherigen Gast nicht abgewischt obwohl auffällig verkrümelt, Getränke wurden lange nicht aufgenommen und ein paar Scheiben Brot zum Salat haben wir erst nach mehrmaligem Erinnern bekommen. Mittlerweile habe ich einige vegane Restaurants/Cafes und Take Aways ausprobiert, alles andere war sehr viel besser.

Loved it - Edit

I loved eating at Max Pett. I ended up with getting 3 HUGE plates of food just because I was very very hungry and I wanted to taste almost everything. So if you order something make sure you don't order way too much because the plates are huge - you get a lot of food. Their food taste amazing and it's a small but good place they're located. Unfortunately I didn't get to taste their desserts because I was so full after 3 huge portions.

Pros: Friendly staff, Huge portions, Excellent food

elegant wellness lunch - Edit

I went there for lunch with my mother and was surprised there were a lot of elder guests. The Restaurant also doesn't look very hip and young, and it's a bit expensive.
I liked the selection of dishes they offer very much and found it hard to make a choice.
The taste and qualitiy was excellent.

Pros: great selection of different dishes, also small portions of some dishes

Cons: no alcohol, strange wine instead

I dont go there anymore - Edit

since 2014, when the neo-nazi topic came up, I don't visit Max Pett anymore.
I have visited them about 20 times before starting their founding year. and I have to agree that all three the food, prices and service became worse and worse every half year.

the facebook comments from the Max Pett crew from that time really scared and made me insecure about the people who are running Max Pett after all.

they don't realise they are handling a topic that is too big for their mindset or they want to support neo-nazis in their working environment. yet who knows for sure but that's how they are noticed from a part of the public since hiring a (former?) neo-nazi.

Pros: 100% vegan

Cons: political questionable decisions, Max Pett crew is close-minded

Excellent food - Edit

very good restaurant, though a little bit pricy. Main course Palak Tofu was great, first course of vegan dips was tasty and simple. Service was very good, though a little bit slow. I do mean to go back for more

Truly the best food in 25 years as a vegan - Edit

My partner and I visited Max Pett for breakfast and were totally impressed with the atmosphere and style of the place. Warm, friendly and harmonious with all the good-vibe artworks. It was near capacity yet the sole waitress was doing a stellar job, and not once did she look stressed or neglect us in her duties — the mark of a true professional.

The food was incredible and well presented. We ordered the scrambled tofu and the traditional Bavarian breakfast. Both were faultless. We returned the following day and were equally impressed with everything. The staff clearly enjoy working here and it shows. As a vegan for the past 25 years, I have had my fair share of good and bad meals. I would rate Max Pett the best ever. Well done, guys. You do veganism proud.

Pros: Excellent, professional service, Amazing food. They nail it., Friendly and welcoming staff

worst service, aggressive about their Nazi issue - Edit

Well, have been to many vegan places worldwide, but that was really wicked.

Food:
I found the food bald. They don't use much spices. The portions are small to medium in size. The only plus was the nice arragement.
I rarely drink alcohol, so tried the alc-free wines. But I found them quite tasteless too. Tasted and even looked like tap water with one drop of Campari in it.

Prices:
We've paid about 92 Euro for 1 starter, 2 main courses and 2 alc-free wines and 4 waters. Max Pett is really expensive. Don't get me wrong - I am gladly paying for good food with high quality ingrediences. But the day after we went to Vegan Bodhi (Liegsalzstrasse, Muenchen) and we had a very similar dish, bigger in size, for 8,90 Euro. At Max Pett, the portion was smaller and it costs 16,90 Euro. I don't see how that's justified because it's not all organic and the place isn't more fancy or bigger than Vegan Bodhi for example.

Service:
As stated before by many others: The worst.
It took 20 min until we were recognized, had to stand up and tell them to please give us the menu.
From ordering to serving it was 1h and 45 min, and another 30 min until my friends food was served. Our dessert was forgotten, and we hadn't had the urge to remind them again. About 1/4 of the seats were taken by customers at that time.

Nazi:
Yes there is one working there. I have made some researches before going there.
And here comes the worst:
After the main course I asked the waitress if that story is all true.
She said: "None of your business" and she said we should pay and leave asap. She just left then. We were like: "What the heck was that?!" - she didn't come back but we had to pay at the counter. The people there didn't say a word, even after a nice "goodbye" from us.

Seems like they handle this the worst way possible.

I mean, the Nazi working there attacked immigrants and refugees with a bomb, was in jail and was a canidate for a Nazi party - WHILE HE ALREADY WAS WORKING AT MAX PETT.

At a place where many non-Germans are going, isn't that something that would concern the guest?

Well, that moment really did it and I don't feel very welcome there.
Won't go back and would not recommend it.

Way better and open-minded in Munich:
Vegeangelo, Bodhi, Prinz Myshkin

Pros: Vegan it is, near city center

Cons: Nazi working there, bad service and customer treatment, expensive and so-so in taste and portion

Excellent food - Edit

The restaurant is about 10 minutes walk away from München Hauptbahnhof. The food selection was excellent and the portions of the main dishes were generous, in fact neighboring diners were sharing one dish between two people. The dishes we chose tasted great although we were careful to avoid dishes containing meat substitutes as these can be underwhelming. We couldn't find room for the cakes! The service was OK and the staff spoke some English. Prices were similar to London - i.e. not cheap - but we will definitely come again if we are in Munich.

finally tried it! - Edit

I've heard about this place for years now so on my first day in Munich I was sure to try it. didn't make a reservation so needed to wait a bit, but staff were nice about it even though it was packed. after reading reviews here I was a bit concerned it was going to be super pricy, but after looking over the (English) menu it was clear that prices weren't much above other places. Small meals like falafel or burritos were about 8 Euro, entrees were 9 to 21 with the average around 13 Euro. Desserts, drinks and sides seemed quite reasonable.
I tried the dumplings, and although it was nothing like I imagined I was pretty happy with the dish. it was very filling and left me with no room for desserts. I checked and only a couple raw desserts are made there, but they all looked quite good so I may need to go back. they also make their own ice cream.
I wasn't super impressed with my meal, but was definitely happy with it. Will try stop in again and taste some of their other options if I have time.

Pros: good date restaurant, nice art

Cons: busy, need reservations

Simple vegan fun - Edit

A small restaurant with a great atmosphere and very friendly and forthcoming staff with a good sense of humor. The location is very peaceful, with outdoor seeting posibilities between trees, and their menu card is simply amazing, and their food tastes great - their Vegan Käsespätzle is an absolute must try! They offer various bavarian dishes and serve vegan wine and beer - alcohol free. Definitively a restaurant I would go to again!

Pros: Amazing food., Cheap., friendly staff

Good but not too good - Edit

Max Pett is yummy and delicious, no question. But i thought it would be something special about this restaurant considering all the reviews here and on the restaurants own homepage.
The interior is nothing special and unfortunately not too cozy or modern. Once again, the food is delicious but considering the total package the prices are way too high! If you have the chance to visit more restaurants in Munich go to the Gratitude as well to compare both....

Cons: Prices are way too high

Mein erster Wahl - Edit

Wäre der Max Pett um die Ecke, wäre ich öfter dort. Ich habe schon mehrere Vegane Lokale besucht. Max Pett ist einer der besten Europaweit. Das Essen ist ausgezeichnet.
---
If the Max Pett around the corner, I would be there more often. I have visited several vegan restaurants. Max Pett is one of the best Europe. The food is excellent.

good food but! - Edit

So I went here for dinner with my family on vacation. Our waitress actually ended up being from America and was very nice. However, it was smokey and dimly lit. Quite pricey too. I was very excited to get a raw pasta which turned out to contain olives and capers (not listed on menu) and was so salty and heavy/fatty. Should've gotten the curry. You can bring your pets which is a perk. I would try one of the many other vegan restaurants in town next time...

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food

Cons: Smokey, Expensive, Busy

Good Food, but Expensive - Edit

I found the service and the food to be good. The prices were typical Munich prices: they went overboard. It is great to have a restaurant that has only vegan food, but when compared to other places in Munich that are "vegan only" this place takes the prize for being the most expensive. In my humble opinion, the food doesn't match the prices.

Pros: Cool location, Good service, Nice people

Cons: Very expensive, Not even close to "Lucky Leek" (Berlin)

Good food but worst service ever ! - Edit

The food is good but expensive.

Went there a few times and the service is gettin worse every time I go there. Went there yesterday with my mum and this was the last time I did.

There are other vegan options in Munich.

The waitress is unfriendly and we had to wait for our dishes for ONE HOUR. I ordered soup and it was cold.

NEVER again.

Wenn man sich bei der Kellnerin über die lange Wartezeit beschwert, findet sie nur Ausreden und entschuldigt sich nicht einmal. Ich werde sicher nicht mehr ins Max Pett gehen, da gehe ich lieber ins Hans im Glück, denn dort gibt es excellente vegane Burger !

Pros: Good food

Cons: You always have to wait for the waitress, Expensive, Unfriendly

fancy and delicious vegan cusine - Edit

I've been here three times and was always very happy! They have very interesting options in the menu and it was really difficult to decide what to order! It is not very big and is always full, I had the impression. I loved the root beet carpaccio with mushrooms and the spinach curry with tofu. Everything very tasty, fresh and beautifully served. The desserts I've tried were also heavenly delicious: nougat panacota and chocolate mousse. They dont serve alcoholic beverage, but it was no problem. They have though alcohol-free wine and beers. I didn't like the wine, it was too sweet. The breakfast was also very nice there, I ordered a mixed plate with scrambled tofu, bread etc. They have different vegetal milks options for the capuccino. I highly recomend this restaurant, although th eprices are a bit high. But I guess it is normal for a city like Munich, and for such a special restaurant.

Excellent breakfast! - Edit

I've been there several times but last weekend I had the american breakfast for the first time and it had been awesome! Couldn't even eat all of it but the friendly staff offered a takeaway box without even asking :) really nice place and definitely worth a visit when in Munich!

My favourite vegan restaurant - Edit

This is the place to go to for a nice meal. I don't go out for food very often, but when I do for special occasions this is the place I go to. Great food, imaginative, well cooked and well-presented. It is not cheap, but then also not expensive if you compare it to a "normal" restaurant. I love their homemade ravioli and their deserts are to die for! If you can come for lunch they have a more economic set menu. Does not serve alcohol, but you can go for a drink before or after nearby. Highly recommended!

Pros: quality of food, variety of food, pleasant atmosphere

Terrific food, although pricey - Edit

I found the food to be really excellent. It was filling and well balanced without being heavy. They make a number of vegan variations of traditional dishes, like "chicken" cordon bleu. They do not serve alcohol, but have a wide selection of non-alcoholic beers and wine.

Even on a Sunday, the place was almost full. I took the last table outside. I would strongly suggest reservations.

As other reviewers have noted the prices are high, even for the center of Munich. I found the service to be average for Germany -- which follows different norms that the US and can strike Americans as rude or indifferent.

The decor is nice. It's small with a significant amount of outdoor seating when the weather is nice. The restaurant is on a quiet side street near the subway stop, so it's convenient but not loud or crowded.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice location, Quiet outdoor seating

Cons: Expensive, Hard to get a table

Not bad, not great - Edit

This place was a very mixed experience. The staff was downright unfriendly, the food was so-so, the prices nothing to rave about - but the vegan cake selection was fantastic!

We're not really going there again. You might have better luck!

Pros: Vegan cake

Cons: Food quality, Unfriendly staff, prices

Contributions +22

Great vegan food, close to the city centre - Edit

Great variety of food in a nice atmosphere, daily menu is cheap and delicious. In the summer is a nice outside area under some trees. You might need to reserve a place during peak times...

Overall Positive Experience - Edit

I've only spent a few days in Munich so far but I must say one of the great things about Maxx Pett is that it is open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner (though you will probably require reservations at peak periods). Most other vegan restaurants have more limited hours . . . you can always depend on Maxx Pett if you need vegan food.

They offer a variety of styles of food from traditional German (Käsespätzle or noodles with "cheese") to healthy to raw. I especially enjoyed the antipasti plate I had as an appetizer and the Kaiserschmarm (a traditional Austrian/South German pancake chopped up and served with apple sauce in this case). I found the service friendly and the prices reasonable for a three-course dinner in Munich.

I intend to go back to try their breakfast, since I've heard positive things about it and vegan breakfast options in Munich seem limited.

Pros: open 7 days all day, variety of offerings, menu in English available

Cons: no alcohol (if this matters to you)

One of my favourite restaurants in Germany - Edit

I had a really good experience here, I just arrived to germany through Munich and looking on the internet, this was the closest vegan restaurant to my place. I just loved the meals and was surprised with the amount of alcohol-free beverages they had, so I could try the "traditional" weißbier in my own way.
The food was excellent and so the desserts. It was a bit pricey but I do think that's Munich price.

One of my favorite restaurants in the world - Edit

This place is one of my top 3 vegan restaurants in the world. I even brought back their ravioli for my aunt who is very picky about vegan food not being close enough to dairy and she said it was delicious. I have never had a bad meal here and I like the ambiance. The 4 or 5 times I've been there maybe the service hasn't been snappy but it seems normal to me by European standards. Also, even though I can order in German they have English menus and are happy to speak English with customers. Also, desserts- amazing
I just wish they served alcohol.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice ambiance, English menus & service

Cons: no alcohol, sometimes slow service

Sehr enttäuscht - Edit

Meine Feeundin und ich wurde nicht nur mit ironischen unmöglichen Antworten auf unsere Fragen abgefertigt, noch war das Essrn gut. Ich bin viele Jahre Veganerin, meine Freundin nicht und da ist es normal, dass Fragen gestellt werden. Ich finde es sehr schade, wenn durch so einem Besuch ich mich noch tausendmal gedanklich schäme für die Art und Weise wie auf Nicht Veganer "nicht Gutmenschen" herabgesehen wird. Und dann eben Seitan Wurst Scheiben gebraten als "Döner" zu verkaufen - naja - da gibt es besseres...

Cons: Non friendly staff, Food is boring

Food excellent, service not...but I returned and.. - Edit

This is a nice restaurant, with a great outdoors eating area, and really quite excellent food. Quite expensive I thought, but just about worth it if you want to treat yourself and take your time over your food. The service needs quite a lot of work - admittedly it was very busy, but it was just impossible to get anyone's attention and I spent the second half of my meal really wanting another drink with my meal.

But I came back two weeks later for some breakfast and the service was great. Really recommend the tofu scramble for breakfast - one of the best I've had...

Updated from previous review on Monday June 10, 2013

Pros: Excellent food, Nice atmosphere, Good looking cakes

Cons: Service but it was busy, Quite expensive

Le meilleur vegan a ce jour... - Edit

Cosimo le patron, et Peter Ludtke, le célebre chef, ont fait de Max Pett un endroit de reve pour un végan...
Le cadre est tres agréable, le service chaleureux, et une cuisine de tres haute volée... Réservation obligatoire, le restaurant est fréquenté par une clientele agréable.
Chaque passage dans ce restaurant est pour moi un moment de plaisir...
Tout végan doit avoir au moins une fois mangé dans ce restaurant... le souvenir restera impérissable...

Pros: Excellent food, Nice team, Quiet place

Mixed results - Edit

The first time I went here, it was just plain awful. We were forgotten and ignored for over 2 hours, and then got half of an apology for it, when our food finally arrived after 3 long hours.

I was recently dragged here again by a friend, and it was good this time.

The place is quite expensive, and I've been to much better 'fancy' vegan places, much tastier places, and much cheaper places.

Pros: All-vegan

Cons: Slow as hell

Nice - Edit

I had a goulash soup here at this place and i was travelling with my parents and found this restaurant and my parents loved it, they did not even notice this place was 100% vegan and we loved the deserts and everything, the staff was very friendly and the price was decent. Thank you and keep serving vegan food.

nice, but wrong choice - Edit

max pett is an excellent restaurant! i ordered a soy steak and it was not the best choice... a bit to tenacious for my taste and the mustard-coating was a bit to "mustardy". but the potatos were great, the sauce as well. and the dishes of my family i tested were really good! so i probably just ordered the wrong thing. the stuff and atmosphere was also lovely! i'll come again soon and try something else :)
prices are a bit high, so i'll only eat there for celebrating special occasions!

Fabulous Restaurant - Edit

My boyfriend and I ate here during our recent visit to Munich and had a great experince in every way. The menu offered a lot of choice, the food was really impressive and the staff provided great service, even accepting us without a booking, late in the evening when they were just starting to close. At the time, I was vegetarian (now vegan) and my boyfriend is a meat eater. We both raved about the food, it surpassed both of our expectations and we would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys great food, not just vegans!!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice vibe

Extensive Wine list Expensive Food - Edit

A very impressive place set out out in modern decor and style. My title says extensive wne list, but it's ALL non-alcoholic. Who would pay €30+ for a bottle of zero alcohol bubbly?! The food is very expensive, even more so than Prinz Myshkin but it is of an extremely high standard nonetheless. It reminds me very much of the fabulous La Mano Verde in Berlin. Waiting staff can be a bit pompous and the place does have a slightly pretentious air about it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't go there again simply because of the high prices and the fact that I do like a glass or two of wine with a great evening meal. Good luck to the place but it's not for me. I'm giving it four cows for the superb food and the attention to detail provided to each dish.

Pros: great food, nice setting

Cons: very expensive, no alcohol, expensive non alcoholic wines

great night at Max Pett! - Edit

Everything was very good for us at Max Pett. when we arrived at about 8 o'clock the place was about half full, and seemed to be operating smoothly. the waitress was attentive to us straight away, and gave us an english menu as soon as she spoke with us and could tell we couldn't understand a word of German. within a very appropriate amount of time she came back and took our drinks order and told us the specials. Before we recieved our entree we were given an amuse bouche of stuffed cherry tomatoes which was delicious. The specials were amazing, definitely a great way to eat as close to traditional bavarian food while still being vegan. we had one starter to share and a main each (2 people) and were both full and satisfied by the end. we certainly weren't overcharged, we didnt even pay for the bread which we were given two portions of (and was delicious). The only negative points i can think of were that the vege sausages were quite plain and obviously store bought, and that they charged for still water, so we didn't order get any. Apart from that everything was perfect, the service, the price and above all the food were of a very high standard.

Pros: excellent food, good value, great atmosphere

Amazing vegan breakfast!! - Edit

I always go to Max Pett when in town for Oktoberfest. Most recently made it there for their all-you-can-eat vegan breakfast. I don't want to give too much away here as I suggest you try for yourself but it was fantastic! I've never had so much choice for breakfast before. The waitress was also lovely and happy to translate into English for us. Can't recommend highly enough.

Pros: all-you-can-eat breakfast , helpful staff, delicious vegan fare

Cons: inconsistent opening hours, no alcohol served

awesome! - Edit

Within walking distance of the train station, located in a quiet street. We went for lunch and then again for dinner the next day. They allowed our friends to get in with their dog. Very friendly! They have English menus and daily specials. I regret not trying more desserts. They looked delicious!

Yes, I am rambling, but I wanted to put all my observations in one sentence. Anyway, go if you are in Munich. This place rocks and won't break the bank.

Pros: desserts, ambiance, location

Great Variety with an Awesome Buffet! - Edit

Although the server was not overly friendly, she was much more friendly than other places I went in Germany, considering I don't speak German. She seemed busy but was still attentive and the buffet was delicious! They are open until 11 and do accept credit cards. I would definitely go back again!

Pros: Reasonable Price, Spoke English, Lots of Choices

Cons: German Menu

Expensive, horrible service. - Edit

I would not recommend this place unless you have a big budget and lots of time. The food was quite good and the variety on the menu was great, especially if you are excited to try some bavarian foods vegan-style (though I recommend going with a german-speaking friend to explain the menu items to you as the translations in the english menu don't do it justice). One more positive thing: they had a whole bunch of wines and beers without alcohol! That's a very rare and welcome find.

Unfortunately,that's the last positive thing I have to say. The prices were high and, like, you pay 50 eurocents for three small pieces of bread. It's not the money, it's the principle... If you charge for bread, fine, but don't be so miserly with it. The real issue was the absolutely dismal service. The restaurant was not busy as it was sunday night and we were arriving just after the supper rush. However, we had to wait like 20 minutes to have her take our order (well, actually, she came once, asked if we wanted to order drinks, then walked away before we could say anything). After we finally placed our order, we waited for about 45 minutes before asking the server if it would be arriving soon. She said it was on the way. About 15 minutes later we received some food on the table, and a bill. Sadly, the food was not at all what we ordered. We called her back and she took the food away, and left the bill, which was for a different table altogether. Eventually she realized that too and came back for the bill. 15 or 20 minutes later our food finally arrived. As I said, it was good, but the not entirely warm and the portions of the particular dishes we ordered were not incredible for the price we paid, especially after we sat for an hour and half getting hungrier and hungrier. We didn't receive any discount or anything, in fact, the server never even apologized or even acknowledged anything was out of the ordinary. I am not a big snob about service, at all, but when I am paying a whole lot for food, I expect it to arrive within an hour and to be treated politely. I am an english speaker but my bavarian friend was ordering for us so I don't think it was an anti-tourist thing, I don't think the server even noticed how bad our experience was.

I think they have a lunch buffet on the weekends that is all you can eat. Maybe at that time you would be getting a better value and you wouldn't have to deal with the crappy service. If the food was still as tasty, it'd be great!

Pros: Tasty, Alcohol-free drinks

Cons: Expensive, Horrible Service

Expensive and bland food and terrible service - Edit

I would actually rate them with less than two stars if I could. I spent seven years in Germany and grew to enjoy the slow dining experience. I didn't quite enjoy this one. After seeing people who had come in after my party, get food, eat, pay and leave, we began to wonder what was going on. After nearly two hours, we flagged down the only server and asked what the deal was. She apologized and said she had forgotten to put our order in. She said she would put the order in and have it rushed. The food came out after 30 minutes. I ordered the tofu palak and it was immediately clear the food was rushed. The veggies were barely cooked and tasted raw. While raw foods are great, it was not what I was expecting. The flavor was bland, and the only thing with real flavor was the sauce, there was not enough.

After confronting the server about the wait time, she offered us free dessert and after only waiting 40 additional minutes, she brought one dessert for a table of three. Considering the wait time and cost, I think it should have been more.

Beyond just the wait and bland food, the bathroom was a mess. The trashcan was overfilled to the point where paper towels were in a pile on the floor. There was yellow liquid all over the toilet seat and floor as well.

Also, I would not consider the price moderate. My tofo palak was the least expensive entrée among the group and it was 15 €. I would consider 10-12 € per entrée moderate.

Pros: vegan, music

Cons: service, flavor, cost

proper vegan - Edit

The summer tables are in shade, under the trees, that even on a day above 30degrees makes it enjoyable. But the most important of all, the food is tasty, good and abundant. The chocolate mousse was excellent, albeit a bit too sweet for someone who has been making only macrobiotic cakes (my boyfriend thinks it was perfect).
Highly recommended

Vegan with Style - Edit

This is a nice, stylish mid-range restaurant which has a classy but relaxed atmosphere. It is the perfect place to bring friends and family, even if they are not fully vegan or vegetarian, and still impress them with the taste and quality of the food.

The daily lunch menu is always a deal, and presents an ever-changing selection of seasonal options. The permanent menu also has some great options, many of which are inspired by Indian cuisine, which has been completely veganised (like the Palak tofu, Ayurvedic Plate, and Daal Soup). They also have a vegan version of traditional German breakfasts. Overall, everything I tried there was great!

Pros: Very Good Food, Friendly Staff, Good Location

Delicious - Edit

Went on a Thursday evening and it was ~2/3 full. The delicious food made me realise why it was so popular mid week. Friendly waitress gave me an English menu even though I spoke to her in German. She was working alone and restaurant was rather busy, so service was slow. Food was excellent. I really recommend the chocolate mousse for desert - it is devine!
Do take cash though as they only take EC cards.
They only

Pros: Friendly waitress, Excellent food

Cons: Cash/EC card only

Perfect - Edit

Once we found this place, thanks to Happy Cow, we ate only there during our stay in Munich. All the meals were delicious and the staff - very friendly. My non-vegetarian husband was very content with the food as well. My personal favorite among the drinks was chai-tea with coconut milk. By the way, the restaurant is located quite close to the Central station, which can also be very convenient in some situations.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good location

YUM - Edit

Just finished an amazing dinner at Max Pett, I had to roll myself back to the hostel after splurging on a mixed entree, curry main and ginormous warm raspberry and vanilla ice-cream dessert - and my family thought I'd starve in Munich - Place wasn't too packed so the service was fine and the waitress was kind enough to sit at my table and read me the menu in English ^_^

Pros: Great food , Friendly staff, nice location

Cons: menu is only in German

Delicious and Fair Priced - Edit

I very highly recommend Max Pett, well worth a visit for some delicious vegan food. They have a standard menu but also a rotating weekly menu with local, fresh ingredients. The menu choices are very well thought out and prepared, the prices are fair based upon quality of food provided. Friendly staff also.

Pros: Excellent food, Fresh, local ingredients, Friendly Staff

excellent vegan restaurant - Edit

I was in December in Munich and found this place on happy cow and so I went one night for dinner.The place was full,every table taken and Luckily I made a reservation ahead of time.Service was very slow,just one person serving all the tables but waiting was worth it because the food was very good I took the kurbis soup as entree and it was tasty and good then I ordered the soya medallions and they were excellent,the souce yummy and the vegetables well cooked and light.As dessert I had vegan ice cream and that was very good too!!It was a little bit expensive but good quality for money and the portions were very generous,your best vegan choice in Munich.

Pros: very good vegan food, very good menu, generous portions

Cons: long wait, poor service

Best in Europe - Edit

So far, I have to say that this is the best vegan food that I have found in Europe. Went there a little before Christmas for dinner with another vegan friend and we were totally blown away. Amazing staff, great food, cool atmosphere and decent prices. Make sure you try the mousse for desert.

I did go there for brunch and was a little let down by their pancakes, so I would really recommend going for dinner rather than the brunch. Not that it was "bad" or anything, but it was nothing compared to what they offered for dinner. I think we had some Ravioli with pine nuts and pomagranites along with some kind of faux meat with mushroom sauce. Anyways, if you are anywhere near Munich make sure to check this place out!

Pros: Awesome Food, Great Staff, Relaxed Atmosphere

Stellar--a "Must Visit" if you're in Munich! - Edit

This was our fourth visit, and their tradition of excellence continues. Our meal was wonderful while the staff exceedingly friendly and happy to serve as well. Unfortunately, for our visit the English menu had not yet been updated, but the staffs' language skills made up for any problems in our German. Reminder: they are still a "cash only" restaurant which is a bit of a pain . . .

Pros: GREAT Food, Helpful Staff, Easy subway access

Cons: Cash only, European-style service speed--not fast

Great vegan restaurant in Munich - Edit

I was very impressed when I visited Max Pett. There's a leafy outdoor seating area and the restaurant interior is light and airy, with wooden flooring and comfy seating uphostered in a fresh lime green. They have a wide selection of alcohol-free hot and cold drinks, wine, beer, and even cocktails.

I couldn't understand all of the menu, but it looked like an impressive, original array of vegan dishes. I ordered truffle ravioli (12.9€), which came in a creamy sauce with sundried tomatoes, walnuts, capers, and artichokes - an exciting and satisfying mix of flavours. For dessert I had a Knusperbecker (6.8€) - a caramel-nougat icecream sundae served with nuts, wafer and caramel sauce.

The service was very fast and efficient (it was quiet when I visited) and the decor and atmosphere was pleasing. The one low point was the hot chocolate I ordered with my dessert - it was bland and disappointing. (I've yet to find a truly great vegan hot choc!) I also found it a bit expensive, although they do have cheaper options, e.g. a main plus soup or dessert for 8.5€ until 6pm on weekdays. They have English menus available if you ask.

I'll definitely return to sample more of their menu before I leave.
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 18, 2011

Pros: Great selection of food, Fast service, Lovely decor

Cons: Rather pricey, bland hot chocolate

Best vegan food in Munich - Edit

We kept coming back to Max Pett because while there are other reasonable vegan options in Munich, their food was without a doubt the very best we had on our whole trip. As far as we were able to determine, they are also the only all vegan restaurant in central Munich (I'm not sure about further afield). We loved their non-alcoholic beers, their changing menu, their daily specials, and especially their amazing ravioli! The staff was very friendly and helpful, and extremely patient with my wife and I who speak little German. When we return to Munich we plan on visiting Max Pett quite often again!

So good- skip the others... - Edit

Best vegan food in Munich, if not in Germany. We were in town several days and ate here many times. Even if you are vegetarian, not vegan, I think it still out shines the other places in town.

They have a wide ranging regular menu (Indian specialties, donner, and more European style fare) and seasonal weekly/daily specials. We were lucky to be there for asparagus season and had some excellent white asparagus soup. They also have desserts and vegan cake! So good.

After days of being tourists and site seeing where the only things for vegans were salad and pommes frit, it was so nice to sit down to a full vegan meal ith lots of choices.

The staff and owner are super nice and helpful. Will translate the menu for you and will pack things up to go (like cake!).

If we make it back to Munich, this will be the first place we go. :)

Pros: Great staff, Great food, Reasonable prices for the high quality

Cons: Closed Sunday

Wow! - Edit

This was a chance visit with a stubborn omnivore on my last night of a few days in Munich. It was superb.

The decor is modern, clean and inviting. The menu is varied and interesting without being pretentious. The manager came to our table and gave a personal translation of the menu. We ordered 2 entrees and 2 mains. Stubborn omnivore was impressed as was I. My beet/coconut soup was superb and the goulash was no less. The huge choice of non-alcoholic beers was a nice touch too.

We had to leave in a hurry due to our car park expiring so we paid (a very reasonable bill) and skipped desert. But on the way out the manager insisted that the chocolate mousse was a must. Intrigued, I asked him to pack one to go. We had a small conversation and a few minutes later the mousse came out and I pulled out my wallet. What a pleasant surprise when he handed it over gratis.

And so, after years of browsing, I finally joined happy cow to give something back by letting you all know that Max Pett is das Lokal.

Pros: excellent food, nice decor, friencly staff

Mmm, delicious! - Edit

I discovered Max Pett in April 2011 and I will definitely return to taste their lovely food again. Perhaps you can find cheaper food elsewhere, but can you find better?

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Central

A Must Visit Restaurant for Vegans in Munich! - Edit

Max Pett is awesome! We ate there twice even though we were only in Munich for two days. The food was great, and the staff was friendly. Some spoke English better than others, but we didn't have a problem ordering. We tried four dishes, truffel ravioli, spinach curry, vegetable roulade, and saffron risotto. Everything we had was delicious! I would especially recommend their cakes. We tried two kinds, one that was vanilla cake with marmelade filling and dipped in chocolate and the other was a vanilla cake with lemon glaze. Both were so tasty! The chai tea was also great. This place was like an oasis since we'd been travelling for days eating mostly snack food we found along the way as vegan food can be hard to come by in the German countryside. If you're a hungry vegan in need of a real meal in Munich, go here first!

Pros: great food, good atmosphere, friendly staff

Wonderful meal! - Edit

I went here with two adults and my one year old daughter. Not a place for kids to run around, but all things considered, it was kid-friendly (had a high chair!). The meal was wonderful! Everyone loved theirs. Cozy, stylish interior too. We will certainly be back!

Very nice dinner - Edit

I ate dinner here with my boyfriend a few days ago and it was great. It's so nice to see vegan restaurants spreading around Europe. This place is maybe two months old.

Our waitress spoke very good English and tried to translate everything on the menu for us because we don't speak German. The dishes were very unique and delicious.

I had the celery schnitzel with mashed potatoes and a lovely green gravy (not sure what it was exactly). My boyfriend had a mushroom dish that also had a tasty gravy.

A little pricy but still good.

Pros: everything vegan, speak english, delicious

Cons: tad expensive

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Max Pett closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 13676 times since Nov 2010.