Max & Benito

Wipplinger Straße 23, Vienna, Austria, 1010

Serves meat, vegan options available. Burrito bar making customized tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, and salads. Hs vegan cheese. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by NathalieArnone

Excellent vegan burrito - Edit

I really enjoyed my vegan burrito here, one of the best vegan burritos I have had the pleasure of eating in Europe. The beans are tasty and flavourful, which is rare as most burrito places that cater to omnivores, vegetarians and vegans seem to have flavourless beans in my experience. I presume that they count on the meat to give the burrito its punch and hence not focus on the beans. Not this place, both the pinto and black beans were packed with flavour. There offer vegan cheese as well, which I had. The cheese had a convincing flavour and texture to it. In my daily life I rarely eat mock meat and cheese, so I don't really have a taste for it, next time I shall leave it out, however I presume that many vegans that that are into mock cheese with enjoy this variety as I swore I was eating real cheese. The toppings were very good and there were many delicious vegan ones to choose from. The staff was very easy going as to what toppings could be added, basically anything I wanted was added without hesitation. The burrito was large, jam packed and could barely be folded closed by the dainty hands of the pretty young lady that was preparing it. They understand how a Mexican burrito should be and approach the real deal very well. In Europe I find this to be rare, most other burrito joints in Europe are pretty clueless as to what makes a good and authentic burrito, these guys however know what they are doing. The guacamole was also very tasty. Pity they didn't have any Chipotle (Tabasco) sauce on the tables, they did have Habanero and Green Tabasco sauces though. The coffee was top notch too, made from fresh grounded coffee beans and an expresso machine. The place has a pleasant and neat ambiance and clean lavatories to boot. I will be frequenting this place often for lunch during my stay in Vienna.

Pros: Excellent vegan burritos + dito coffee, Flexible with composition of burritos, Pleasant ambiance, clean tables, dito lavatories

Cons: Pity they didn't have any Chipotle sauce

Convenient - Edit

The burritos were good. Although the food might not be the best or the most authentic, I still enjoyed it and paid a reasonable price for it. Vegans can have roasted vegetables with rice and beans, as well as lettuce, tomatoes, corn, coriander...etc

OK..... - Edit

To start, the food was edible..

I am from the states and have been to California several times as well as had chipotle many times (the restaurant this place was modeled after).

1. The guacamole was made with unripened avocados and is not something I would ever ever consider true guacamole.

2. The only vegan option is vegetables. These are mostly largely cut squash and bell peppers. I LOVE bell peppers, but those were not cooked well, and the squash was hard too and all were covered in oil, salt, and too much pepper. Thats all the seasoning you get, folks!

3. They give u a tiny bit of beans and rice. (I should have really just asked for extra beans and rice instead of the veggies but i really love peppers so ugh).

4. I ordered chips. Any American, Latin, or Latin experienced human being would classify these chips as a shitty excuse from a bag to resemble tortilla or corn chips.

In summary,... I MISS CHIPOTLE SO DAMN MUCH.

I miss home made chips with lime and salt, I miss seasoned tofu, I miss real guacamole.

This is the only problem I have with Europe and Austria (besides cold winters). YALL DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO LATIN FOOD, Let alone the americanized cali-mex that is so dear to my heart.

If the owners of this franchise ever read my sincere review here on happy cow, I encourage you to ACTUALLY go to America, if you can, GO TO CALIFORNIA and have yourself a real burrito.

* note * if you are looking for real Mexican food, I have tried it a long time ago and that just means everything is cooked in pork fat so I would recommend it as a NO-GO for vegans, vegetarians alike.

All the best, XOXOX

Pros: easy, cheap, beans

Cons: fake, no flavor, wannabee

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Max & Benito closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.