Maus Habitos

Contact +351-222087268

Rua Passos Manuel 178, 4 (at behind cathedral), Porto, Portugal, 4000-382

Serves meat, vegan options available. Reportedly no longer vegetarian restaurant by day, but still veg-friendly. Youth culture clubhouse at night with handicrafts and homemade cakes sold, in addition to massage service, cocktails, and DJ spinning house music. Located on the 4th floor of an old parking garage in the city center. Mon-Fri 1:00pm-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Non-veg

First Review by louis

nice location - Edit

place with a wide varity of vegetarian pizza options. the only vegan options on the menue are falafel and some ice-cream. according to a friendly staff girl the pizza dough is made with eggs. the falafel was not so good when I got it.

if you looking for some vegan food check another place.

Pros: nice location

Cons: only one vegan option

Really cheap place in the city centre! - Edit

Went here a couple of times and I think it's a pretty good restaurant. It's really cheap and their pizzas are good!
I think the veggie burger was alright aswell but it was a pretty small portion (its really cheap though so it makes sense).
They dont have that many options but the ones they have are good!
It's located in the city centre but a bit hard to find as they dont really have any signs outside.

Pros: Cheap, Good pizzas, Good location

Cons: Few choices

Nice place with veg and vegan options - Edit

Awesome and cosy place with a great view. Great food; my girlfriend ate a vegan burger which was very Nice. I ate a vegetarian pizza which was extremely good. Prices were good.

Possibility to have a menu ( 8€ for appetizer, soup, main dish, drink and coffee). Always a vegetarian option but not necissarily vegan...

Pros: cheap, good food, great location

Cons: they serve meat

Dissapointed - Edit

After I heard about this restaurant being praised, I was disappointed when I tried it myself. The vegan/vegetarian options are not very extensive, while well-indicated in the menu. The staff wasn't too helpful when choosing either. After ordering and ensuring twice my food will be vegan, the ordered soup never arrived and the vegan hamburger came with a white sauce on the side. I asked if its vegan, and the waiter said it might not be. Being allergic to milk, I asked if he could confirm in the kitchen. It wasn't vegan, but no problem since it was on the side in a bowl. Anyway, the food wasn't as good as I'd expect. I will not go back.

Pros: Cheap food, Cool environment

Cons: Not enough choice for vegs, Brought non-veg sauce with vegan option, Staff is not very helpful

Nice alternative atmosphere - Edit

This place has a nice alternative atmosphere.

I have been there twice for lunch eating the menu which cost 8 Euros and includes a starter, a juice, soup, the main dish and a coffee. Both times it was delicous.

They also have a couch if you just want to chill out and have a drink.

Vegetarian restaurant and cultural cafe - Edit

This is the kind of place I would regularly visit if I lived in Porto. The location is a bit obscure, but that creates a unique kind of atmosphere. It's a place where you can not only eat, but also hang out, have a few drinks, listen to music, and more.

We came on a Saturday night; in addition to lunches during the week days, they offer pizza on Friday and Saturday night. There were six different options, and two of them were vegetarian. The guy working also told us we could mix and match, so get one of the "meat" pizzas but with veggies instead, etc. This kind of flexibility would also allow you to get a vegan pizza, as long as you asked for no cheese.

The food was food, and fresh, and tasty. Two pizzas and two drinks came to less than €20.

Pros: Great view , Tasty and inexpensive food, Laid-back vibe

Cons: Not 100% vegetarian like advertised

Very nice - Edit

This were one of the two favourite spots in Porto.
We had lunch. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly, the meal was good.
The price had a very good value.
The restaurant is on the top of an old parking deck - very nice.

Excelente!!!! - Edit

Sou cliente frequente desde Janeiro,pois fui muito bem recomendado por uma amiga que costuma ir varias vezes, ao contrario de certos comentários que foram feitos nesta pagina,sempre que vou la fui muito bem servido,como a nível alimentar tento sempre uma opção vegan ainda sendo um restaurante vegetariano,há sempre uma opção vegan,e a nível de staff um excelente atendimento,tento sempre um ambiente amigável onde sempre me sinto bem.
Ainda me privilegio de uma vista fantástica.
Recomendo tanto de Dia como a Noite.

Pros: comida fantastica, ambiente amigável , vista fantastica

Cons: nada a dizer

Not so good... - Edit

This place was a disaster!!! I had high expectation, l know this place for ages but I went for the first time during April 2013.
So they had no vegan options and we ended up eating vegetarian, not tasteful at all, raw badly prepared food, very small portions (we ended up going eating at some place else after!!! Really!!!). The staff was nice but didn't give any information on how it worked! We didn't even now we could eat dessert... A disaster! There are other amazing option in Porto!! Don't recommend it at all!!! If you want to know Maus Habitos go there by night!

Pros: Location, Classic Oporto's spot

Cons: Overpriced, Small portions, Not helpful staff

my favourite find! - Edit

As people have mentioned before, Maus Habitos is on the 4th floor of a garage/carpark.

The eating area has amazing views, and a little courtyard where you can sit outside and eat.

The menu is set and seems to change daily. The staff are really really helpful, and very friendly, its completely vegetarian, and there is always a vegan option too.

The day we went I had a tofu and olive pate with bread, broccoli soup, a rainbow chilli with yellow rice and salad, strawberry and lime juice and coffee for 7.50EUR, 9EURO would give you a dessert.

The food was tasty and fresh, the atmosphere chilled out. There is plenty of info on their website; http://www.maushabitos.com/

They have bands play on an evening, DJ set etc, although I didnt go to any of these.

I wish we had found this sooner.

Pros: beautiful views, fresh food, friendly staff

Good Food - Edit

It is a restaurant above a parking house. You can take a lift to the 4th floor. The atmosphere is very nice and friendly. The choice is limited (only one meal), but very good.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Good Lunch - Edit

Maus Habitos is less a restaurant than a club for a bit of an alternative scene, including music in the evenings (Fado even). Not easy to find, it was recommended to us by the hotel we stayed at otherwise you can't 'stumble' upon it... Food is only served during lunchtime. It is a fixed menu of soup, main course and optional desert plus a drink. Only possible choice was between two types of beverage. We enjoyed the food very much in a nice atmosphere (we sat in the inner courtyard). The price is very reasonable for the amount and quality we received.

Pros: price, food, staff

Cons: only lunch

Maus Habitos - Edit

This restaurant provides easy atmosphere, children may play on the ground.
More pictures can be found here

wonderful restaurant - Edit

This restaurant is open only during the day. The waitress didn't speak English but she asked another guest to translate for us :-) The food is good and the price is cheap. I strongly recommend this restaurant if you stay in Porto!!!

Pros: price, food

Bad Habits - Edit

Called here for lunch on a Saturday. Cafe is situated within a nondescript building. Was told by a man doing some work there that the vegetarian cafe is only open week days for lunch. A shame as there are few options in Porto and this is situated in a busy area.

Pros: central location

Cons: week days only

Return to Porto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maus Habitos closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3866 times since May 2008.