Matsulin

631-728-8838

131 W Montauk Hwy, Long Island, Hampton Bays, New York, USA, 11946

Serves meat, vegan options available. A modern Asian fusion restaurant offering a separate extensive vegetarian menu, with many vegan options including a stir fry served in a mango half, sizzling 'beef' seitan and other mock meats. Takes reservations. Fine dining, good for special occasions. Large portions. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, International, Asian Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by Heurtebise

2 stars.. - Edit

So I didn’t try the food. The reason was because as per the waiter all the mock meats had dairy in them. He had said they could make a vegetable dish that was vegan but the mock stuff was in-fact not vegan and only vegetarian. It was disappointing and we left. Now I give this place 2 stars for his suppose honesty or at least being safe even if he was wrong. I’d rather he lie about this not being vegan, than lying that the dish was vegan (I would probably get sick). That being said, I don’t know if this was true, to me adding dairy to mock meats doesn’t really make sense, eggs would make more sense but not milk. If they are adding dairy to the sauce that too wouldn’t make sense to me, eggs yes. So I am not sure if the waiter just didn’t want to deal with us and sort of lied, or if he was being truthful, or he just didn’t know. Anyway we left. The atmosphere was sort of cheesy and westernized. Carpet on the floor and bad music. Typical cheesy Long Island atmosphere. We didn’t like it and we were glad to leave. We went to Saaz instead.

Pros: Green vegetarian label next the dishes.

Cons: Nothing vegan as per the waiter, , not sure if the waiter was being truthful,, cheesy atmosphere .

Great Asian Fusion - Edit

Went there in August 2012 for a family dinner. Big and classy, with friendly and professional staff. I was excited to see an extensive vegetarian menu. I ordered seitan "beef", and it was almost freakishly resembling the "real" one, but better - juicy and flavorful. My partner had something served in a half-mango, also very tasty and unique. I don't think there are better options for us vegans in Hampton Bays, so if I go there again, I will definitely be back.

Pros: Great choice, Inventive dishes, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Non-veg?

Return to Hampton Bays Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Matsulin closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.