Mater Terrae at Hotel Raphael

• Friend
Contact 06682831

Largo Febo, 2, Rome, Italy, 00186

Organic-gourmet, vegetarian and ethical cuisine inspired by art, tradition and environmental sense, and interpreted by Chef Fabrizio Marino. The menu is vegetarian with some vegan and raw entrees. The cuisine favors the use of seasonal products and features much experimentation, melding together unusual ingredients and introducing surprising food harmonies. Manager Teseo Geri, together with the rest of the team, will be at your disposal for any information about the food or the wine. During the winter months or when the weather does not allow outside dining, you will be welcomed in the indoor part of the restaurant, where you'll sample the chef's creations in an elegant and refined frame. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Organic, Mediterranean

First Review by Plantpowerednomad

very fancy - Edit

We had a great evening at Raphaël. It is quite expensive with around 150€ for two people including drinks, but no desert, but it was really worth it. Everything was extremely delicious and the service was great, too. Even though in winter, the terrace is closed, the atmosphere was still very enjoyable.

Don't miss it - Edit

By far a wonderful meal, totally recommended, it is a completely vegetarian restaurant with many vegan options, prices are high but they are worth it

Pros: creativity , vegan options

Cons: prices

The best in Rome ... can't wait to come again - Edit

Due to the weather, we could't enjoy the terrace - but everything else was just great!

We had only two courses, Antipasto and Secondo (unfortunately, most of the Primos with Pasta contained egg or cheese), but we enjoyed an amuse-bouche right after after we were seated, another before the Antipasto, the third before the Secondo ... and all were incredibly beautiful, and so delicious! And left us unable to try some of the desserts, which had tantalizing vegan options, but we simply too full after two courses, together with the amuse-bouches.

The only question I was wondering about was whether the chef might use chickpeas a bit too often - as I love them myself, it was all right with me, but for people who don't?

It was pricey, no doubt about that, but the food and the nice experience made the money well spent.

In any case, I would love to come back, if possible in summer, to enjoy another delicious meal together with the view of Piazza Navona!

Pros: Delicious, beautifully decorated food, Very friendly staff, Wonderful location

Cons: 1. None I could think of ..., ..., ...

Seriously nice - but not cheap - Edit

The hotel restaurant is totally vegetarian - and has a wide range of creative and interesting options. Very nice food (and good wine). As part of an up-market hotel (which in itself was a great place to stay) the price was predictably high - very high in fact. However, worth it for a one-off meal but you'd need to be wealthy to east here every day and work your way through the range of food options. Several options were gluten free and the staff able to advise.

Pros: Very easy food, Interesting menu, Gluten free choices

Cons: Expensive

Best Vegetarian Experience to date with a view - Edit

I have read the other reviews and yes ID is required and I do suggest you reserve ahead as this restaurant is spectacular! The staff are great and a lot of fun speaking a number of languages and really engage all of the customers. The food was top notch with the chef coming out to greet each table towards the end of the night and explain some of the dishes. Best Vegetarian experience to date!

MaterTerrae 14 Jul 2016 - Dear Guest,

We cannot thank you enough for such a flattering review of our Restaurant “Mater Terrae”!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything about your dinner with us – the beautiful setting of our Restaurant, the cordial and engaging service of the staff led by our restaurant manager Teseo Geri and most importantly - the delicious meal prepared by our Chef Fabrizio Marino.

It was a great pleasure having you as a guest and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you back with us shortly!

Warmest regards,
Roberto E. Vannoni, Olga Rudnychenko and the entire Hotel Raphael Team

Fine Dining in Roma - Edit

Definitely on the more expensive end of the scale, but so worth it.
The food is carefully created and beautifully presented, not to mention delicious!!
Lots of vegan options!!!

MaterTerrae 14 Jul 2016 - Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing your impressions about our Restaurant “Mater Terrae” with the HappyCow community!

We are happy to hear that you loved both the presentation and the taste of our food and that, even though you found the prices to be on the expensive side, you would recommend “Mater Terrae” to others. As for the prices, we believe that anyone who chooses to eat organic products knows how expensive they are – sometimes up to 80% more than the regular items, but we put health and well-being of our guests above all, that is why we never sacrifice the quality of our products and only work with the best organic farms and suppliers. It is a pleasure to hear that our efforts are understood and appreciated!

Thank you again for visiting “Mater Terrae” and we hope to have a chance to welcome you here again soon.

With our best regards,
Roberto E. Vannoni, Olga Rudnychenko and the entire Hotel Raphael Team

Passport required - Edit

I decided to dine at this restaurant for my last day in Roma. It is in what is apparently a high-end hotel on a very small street that does not appear on many maps and is difficult to find, and there is no sign indicating how to get to the restaurant when entering the lobby. After greeting the woman at the desk with "Buona Sera," I asked how to get to the ristorante. She said it is "only for vegetarians" and I said I am a vegetarian. She seemed perturbed by my answer and asked me if I had a reservation and I said "no" and she called the ristorante and said they had a table but I could not sit on the terrace and had to sit inside. When I agreed she told me that in order to be admitted to the restaurant, she had to see my passport and make a copy! As I had never heard of a restaurant requiring a passport, mine was in my hotel room safe. She said: "No passport, no admittance." Not being able to enter the restaurant, I am unable to review the food, but the attitude of the woman at the hotel front desk was stunningly arrogant and demeaning—and as is a policy requiring a passport for admittance . I was not wearing a coat and tie, but I was by no means unkempt or dressed shabbily or in shorts and sandals—but the issue seemed to be that I was not "the right kind of people" so I warn anyone considering this restaurant.

MaterTerrae 14 Jul 2016 - Dear Guest,

We are deeply sorry to hear about your experience, but we appreciate you sharing it with us, as it gives us a chance to explain it from our side and of course to improve our service.

Regarding the request of an ID, we would like to assure you that it was in no way meant to insult you, it is our standard security procedure for external guests. Given the tragic and disturbing events in the world over the past year, it is only natural that everybody is more vigilant and that security concerns are more topical than ever, especially in Rome that due to the Jubilee year is even on a higher alert. We hope you will understand that the only reason for these measures is the safety of our dear guests.

An ID is requested for every external guest with no exceptions and usually our colleagues at Front Desk make sure to explain the reasons for it in a very polite and friendly way. We apologize if in your case this message was not delivered properly.

We hope you will give us a chance to make up for this misunderstanding and to extend the real Raphaël hospitality to you on a different occasion. It will be our pleasure to offer you a glass of champagne and our organic canapés as a compliment of the house. Please be so kind as to send us your contact details at [email protected]

Kind regards,
Roberto E. Vannoni, Olga Rudnychenko and the entire Hotel Raphaël Team

Beautiful food in a beautiful setting - Edit

Each dish is so beautiful that I wanted to frame it and hang it on my wall, but luckily I overcame that urge and ate the food instead. It was as delicious as it looked, and I especially liked the addition of pansies on each of the dishes to tie them all together. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, too, and were very attentive to everything we needed and questions we had about the menu. Everything is vegetarian, organic and bio, which was an amazing thing to find in a large hotel in central Rome. There were plenty of vegan options, and they even created an amazing vegan dessert for me. I could happily eat here every day!

Pros: Friendly staff, Beautiful setting, Amazing food

Cons: Expensive - for special occasions only

MaterTerrae 14 Jul 2016 - Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind review and the lovely article you wrote about our Restaurant “Mater Terrae”!

Your compliments are music to our ears. Our Chef Fabrizio Marino works hard to make every dish that leaves the kitchen perfect - combining amazing taste with exquisite presentation, while our restaurant manager Teseo Geri and his team are at our guests’ disposal for any information about the food, for a recommendation of a perfect beverage to accompany each serving or anything else the guests might need to make their dining experience at “Mater Terrae” as pleasant and memorable as possible. Please be sure that your compliments will be shared with all the members of our Staff who will be delighted to hear your kind words.

We hope you will visit us again soon and on that occasion it will be our pleasure to offer you a special surprise. Please be so kind as to contact us at [email protected] to find out more.

With our best regards,
Roberto E. Vannoni, Olga Rudnychenko and the entire Hotel Raphaël Team

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mater Terrae at Hotel Raphael closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.