First Review by zaphod46

Good buffet with lots of healthy options - Edit

I've been to the buffet a few times, and the food is pretty good. I like the BBQ tofu.

I would say things tend to be undersalted or not salted at all, especially the veggie sides. There's seasonings in front of the counter on one of the tables if you need them, but no table salt that I saw. BYOS?

Pros: buffet, good

I Crave The Barbecue Tofu! - Edit

I adore this small, sweet eatery. The food is super healthy and I love all Masao's has to offer but the Barbecued Tofu is my favourite in the whole, wide world. He's a sweet fella and this is the place I always think of when I want to eat a satisfying, healthful meal.

Pros: Super yummy, Macrobiotic & vegan, Super-nice owner

Cons: Wish it was easier to get to, Kinda expensive

Would go again - Edit

We were there half an hour before the restaurant closed, so we did a take away. There were only less than 10 dishes for the buffet dishes and we took a bit of all dishes. My husband think everything was tasteless except for the BBQ tofu, which were more like a ketchup marinated tofu rather than BBQ. I thought food were a bit plain, but i wont think it was tasteless. We fed two of us at $20, so price was reasonable.

Pros: Food

Cons: *

Good vibe - Edit

When you walk in everyone knows each other and knows Masao, the owner. You feel the community this restaurant creates. Everyone there is so nice, it makes up for the lack of decor. I've only tried the buffet once, and it was just OK. I love the sandwiches though. The BBQ tofu sandwich is amazing. I also loved the apple fritter. Some room for improvement, but I'd frequent this place if I lived closer.

Pros: bbq tofu!, atmosphere

Cons: decor

Great Macro Food : ) - Edit

I love Masao's! Whenever I walk in here, it seems like everyone knows each other, which is nice. The food is mostly organic and is delicious. I highly recommend for a casual lunch, or for take-out.

Pros: Vegan, Healthy, Organic

AWESOME - Edit

Masao is the owner of the restaurant and has had many years experience cooking macrobiotic/whole foods all over the globe. I believe that he has trained extensively at THE Kushi Institute here and abroad. His philosophy is to "only cook when happy, cook happy food." This is my family's number one favorite restaurant. EVERY SINGLE time we go to another restaraunt, we say we wish we had gone to Masao's. The food is clean, delish, presented well and the deserst are SO good!
I love his practical use of space, there is no waste at Masao's. If it is too crowed we are more than pleased to task some of his happy food home. Our very FAV is the barbeque tofu, it is OMG good! Believe you me, I have eaten vegie all over this city and this is THE number one authentic macro/whole foods place in Boston. I WISH there were more, but there are not. I love this restaraunt so much I never want him to retire! Also, his employess are very kind and engaging if you wish to engage. I like that, it is important to me for people to be treated well. You can clearly see that moral in the kitchen is very peaceful.

Just ok - Edit

Went for lunch at Masao's Kitchen, excited to try one of the few vegan restaurants in the area. This is a small restaurant that seats 20. We walked in and waited and didn't know if someone would seat us or should we go to the counter or what? Finally I asked and was told to grab a plate and then they would weigh it and we would pay. They should post these directions somewhere in the restaurant because I imagine some come and leave without asking. I tried a little bit of almost everything: Seitan cutlets, BBQ tofu, brown rice, chickpeas, broccoli and kale, squash with onions and radish, hijiki and carrots, and the potato and cauliflower salad. Two plates of food and one drink came to $18 and my partner had very little on his plate. The food was good, but not great. Reminds me of some of the first vegetarian food I ever had years ago that was plain and often left me explaining to meat eaters that vegetarian and vegan food REALLY is good. The BBQ tofu is in a tomatoey type sauce, but I can't call it BBQ. The seitan cutlet was chewy, cold, and had no taste. The brown rice, broccoli and kale, and chickpeas were good. The squash was too die for and probably the highlight of my meal. I would never have thought to put radish in with squash, but it works. The potato and cauliflower salad was good as well, but needed a little more something to punch up the flavor. I wouldn't classify this restaurant as one of my all time favorites, but it was close by and offered food I can eat so for that I am appreciative. For the lack of modern type food to highlight what vegan food can be and what it has become, I will relegate this restaurant to the bottom of list for only if I can't go elsewhere. Sorry! This restaurant has so much potential that it saddens me that they can't see what they could become if they worked harder to improve some basic things like decor, customer service, food quality and if they food on the buffet was hot and not served room temperature.

Pros: a vegan restaurant in metro-Boston!, something different, close by

Cons: room temperature food, overpriced for basic food, decor and ambience

Great Buffet - Edit

We went there for brunch with two vegans, two omnis, and one baby and everyone enjoyed themselves. The two omnis tried the more familiar parts of the buffet (beans, noodles) and skipped some of the less familiar (cabbage with tempeh). The baby enjoyed chomping on a green bean, and we vegans sampled pretty much everything between us.

This isn't your standard "all you can eat" buffet overflowing with different dishes. You pay by the pound ($8/pound when we were there) and there is lots of variety, but not a lot of choices: you can fill all your basic needs (starch, protein, greens, etc), but you may only have one or two choices in some categories. The food was all tasty and well prepared.

Pros: good value, wide variety

Cons: cramped dining area

Return to Waltham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Masao's Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5444 times since Aug 2007.