First Review by kbdragon

Top notch restaurant with wonderful service! - Edit

The first time I went to Masala, there was an Indian man who stayed at our table and explained a lot of the menu to us. He gave us his personal recommendations for me and my non-vegan friend. The staff is always very friendly, and I go to this restaurant about 2x a month now!

Someone wrote that in 2010 Masala had 2 menus, this is not the case anymore. There is one menu (entirely Indian) with many Vegan an Gluten free options. As far as taste, I've only had one thing on their menu that was bland. I can't remember the name of it, but I know that a main ingredient was okra. They offer 3 levels of heat in their seasoning (Mild, medium, and hot).

There are no vegan dessert options, though. I happened to meet one of the owners one time, and I requested vegan desserts, so hopefully they will take that into consideration!

I highly recommend this restaurant if you are in the Lafayette area and want a delicious vegan dinner, as well as a great atmosphere for dining!

Pros: Very friendly staff, Flavor of food, Quiet atmosphere

Cons: No vegan dessert options, Slightly high priced

Good Indian Food - Vegan Friendly - Edit

If you are Vegan it is hard to find a place to eat in the Southern USA off Interstate 10 through Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. We stopped at a Howard Johnson for overnight and found Masala via Happy Cow.

Service was very good, prices were very high for what we had but the food was good. Disappointing 'pickle' as they only had one selection (I love Orange Pickle) and it was too salty to eat.

Appetizers were good, main courses tasty if a bit bland. Presentation left a lot to be desired and only white rice was available.

If you are desperate to eat, this is an option for Vegans.

Pros: Vegan Options

Cons: Poor Vegan Selections, Few Vegan Choices

Good, but not great - Edit

Masala Indian Kitchen is a strange place--it is both Indian restaurant and Spanish Tapas place. No joke. They give you two menus, and you can order from either or both. I've only ordered off the tapas menu once, and I think the food was good. There were fewer veg. options on it, though. Indian food is always a good go-to for vegetarians, so I've been to plenty of Indian places, and in my opinion, this one is only okay. The food isn't bad, but it's nothing to get excited about. But if you're a veg*n dining in Lafayette, you have few other options, so at least the fact that this place exists is a good thing!

Awesome!! - Edit

Based on the Happy Cow recommendation, I ate there last night and was blown away. Had the Veggie Pakoras for appetizer and the Aloo Channa (Potatoes/Chickpeas) for main course. Also had a pot of Chai Tea for about 20 bucks and had plenty left over for lunch today. Food was fresh and delicious

Pros: Fresh, Good Veggie Choices, Vegan Friendly

Cons: none

This place is the best! - Edit

No, its not 100% vegetarian. But they have a whole section on the menu dedicated to vegetarian entrees, quite a few of which are vegan, plus they have a vegetarian buffet on the weekends. The Samosas are vegan and the Naan is vegan if you get it without butter. And the people there are very helpful, they know how to accommodate vegans.

Pros: Great food, Nice people, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not close enough to my house

Return to Lafayette Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Masala Indian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1700 times since Aug 2008.