Masa of Echo Park

213-989-1558

1800 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, California, USA, 90026

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual atmosphere pizza and Italian food restaurant. Offers Chicago style deep dish pizza with vegan cheese option. Other veg items include veggie sausage panini, veggie chicken panini, salads, minestrone. Makes dough onsite. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Organic, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Sonja and Dirk

Full vegan menu - Edit

The vegan food they serve is so delicious -their marinara sauce is delectable! I froze a sample so I can try to make it at home! ;) The pasta is vegan, except the linguini. Be sure to try the deep dish pizza - where else can you get a vegan deep dish? They can customize your pizza from their extensive toppings list.
Make sure to ask for the printed vegan menu so the server knows you want your order vegan. Just come early on weekends as there can be a huge wait. I made the mistake once by pre-ordering the deep dish pizza to avoid a 45-minute wait for it. I thought I could just arrive and sit down to a table and have it ready to be brought, but no, if you order it by phone, you must take it to go. So, we ate it in the car. So, come early, get a table and order the pizza. It's so worth the wait.
The atmosphere is hip and intimate. There are different dining areas, although small, makes for an eclectic and interesting dining experience. Also, the staff are super friendly. The owner is very gracious.
Park down the side street in paid lot. Weekend nights may be free - just read sign to make sure.

Pros: Fully vegan menu that is delicious, Cool atmosphere

Cons: Can get very busy weekend nights, Can't preorder deep dish before dining in, Down the street from Donut Friend

Delicious vegan cheese pizza - Edit

Had read about this place on HappyCow a while back and have walked by it a couple times while going to eat at Sage Vegan Cafe just a few doors down. Finally had a chance to try the pizza on 2 occasions. Was just here in February 2013. Here's my Masa of Echo Park review.

It's a casual, family friendly atmosphere restaurant, not fancy or anything. While not purely veg, it does offer vegan cheese and vegan chicken as pizza toppings. The regular menu does not point out the vegan specific items, so ASK for the vegan menu (that's also published on its website).

I knew I wanted to try the vegan Teese Cheese (made by Chicago Soy Company). Twice I got a bistro style pizza rather than a deep dish (maybe next time I will though) with added cherry tomatoes. A good size pizza for 2 adults to share. Price is now around $16-17.

Both times the vegan cheese pizza was delicious. I really liked the Teese cheese on my thin-crust pizza. It has a soft texture and is not greasy (like Daiya cheese gets).

I will return for the deep dish next time.

PS. Masa also offers a soy cheese that contains casein (dairy derivative).

Pros: yummy bistro pizza, vegan Teese cheese, relaxed

Good food in a fun part of town - Edit

Get the Veggie-chicken Panini, it is great.

Pros: Veggie-chicken Panini

Cons: Veggie-sausage Panini

A fantastic & popular Pizza/Italian restaurant - Edit

We followed recommendations to arrive early on a Saturday due to popularity and we are sure glad we did! There was a huge wait by the time we were done eating. The staff is so friendly and the chef is so accommodating. We had gulten free, oil free people in our party and they made stuff for all of us! The Vegan Deep Dish is too decadent for me, but everyone else enjoyed it. I had gnocchi with marinara sauce and could have eaten two plates!

Pros: gnocchi, pasta, atmosphere

Cons: lots of fat in the deep dish

Chicago deep dish pizza - Edit

We went to Masa's about a month ago for deep dish pizza and since it takes so long to bake, we ordered a thin crust pizza while we waited. Both pizzas were tasty, but the Teese was not melted enough in my opinion. We took some of the deep dish home as leftovers and the slices held together well. Dirk had been to Masa's before with co-workers as there's something for everyone there. We will probably be back the next time we are craving deep dish pizza.

Pros: deep dish pizza

Cons: Teese not completely melted

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Masa of Echo Park closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.