Mary's Place Cafe II

Contact 902-404-7171

5982 Spring Garden Rd, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 1Y7

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a full vegan menu featuring veggie patties, falafel, salads, milkshakes and more. Other location on Robie St. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by QuothTheRaven

Accommodating - Edit

LOVE THIS PLACE! The staff are so friendly and super accommodating to my plant based & gluten free lifestyle! The vegan combo is 10$ for three items and the variety and flavours are winners for sure. The garlic sauce is to die for (on the home-fries or on the side)- little known fact: they actually sell it in tubs to take home for 5$!!!!

They also shop locally as much as possible and the meat that they serve is raised locally and with a conscience too! (I asked for the company name and I checked- so that's nice that they're doing what they can!)

Can you tell I'm a regular here?? haha
Happy Eating! xx
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 02, 2016

Pros: Flavour, Affordable prices, Great variety

Cons: Busy- but not a long wait

amazing vegan options pocket friendly prices! - Edit

This place is the bees knees for vegans who don't want too break the bank for choosing their life style. The staff is friendly and well informed of their menu. They also do a lot of gluten free options too. The place gets very busy during the weekend and for a good reason. It's defiantly somewhere all of your friends can go if your Vegan or not and get something to eat. A nice vegan combo plate for only 10?! Amazing! You can argue that argue that the garlic sauce isn't vegan but I truly believe it is. Honestly I don't see a reason why someone would lie about it and say it's not. I never once felt a hint of mayo in it and trust me I used to eat a lot of mayo before becoming vegan a few years ago. My favorite things to order are the hummus(which is house made and better then anything you can buy at the grocery store ) garlic home fries and spinach phylo! Another favorite of mine is their Greek salad (minus the cheese of course ). I highly recommend this place to all.

Pros: fast service, home made vegan food, affordable prices

Cons: busy, can be noisy when busy , limited seating

Beware! - Edit

UPDATE: I will NO LONGER trust Mary's as I have now been informed the garlic fries are NOT vegan, the sauce has egg in it even though it is on their vegan menu and I asked the waitress to make sure as it looked like real mayo and I was assured it was vegan. LIES! Never again. Warning to all vegans.

My first impressions when walking into Mary's Place was how homey and warm the diner felt. It fells like you are walking into your grandmother's kitchen. We were greeted immediately by a really friendly lady who also noticed our posters we were carrying from a protest we just attended. She gave words of support and proceeded to answer my questions regarding a vegan menu. She said that they will take care of us and answer any questions. Basically anything they have they can accomodate us and also mentioned they do lots of gluten-free options as well.

When browsing the menu, I noticed many options and one really cool feature was their vegan combo menu listed on the bottom. Three items for 10 dollars and any additions are only 2 dollars extra. For Halifax, that is truly a fantastic deal. Hubby and I both went for combos. Many of the dishes are Indian in orietation. I ordered the garlic potatoes, basmati rice and veggie patty. It arrived promptly and was a good size portion.

The garlic dip was a bit discerning when looking at it but we called over the waitress and she assured us that it was vegan, with no animal ingredients. The food was tasty, filling and satisfying. I loved the potatoes!

We both enjoyed our meal and the pleasant service we received, as well as it being extremely affordable.

Next time I hope they have vegan ice cream in so I can get myself a vegan milkshake. :)
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 02, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 24, 2014

Pros: Inexpensive, Great service

Cons: Lies, Promoting vegan when it's not

Return to Halifax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mary's Place Cafe II closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.