Markies de Salade

Xavier de Cocklaan 69, Deurle, Belgium, 9831

Offers plant-based cuisine without gluten, dairy, soy, or processed sugar. Serves vegan and raw food for with dishes like cashew cream tomato soup, vegan caesar salad, raw pear pie. Drinks include Scandinavian birch juice and pink juice made of Japanese pink tomatoes. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, 5:30pm-11:30pm.

Categories: Vegan, Raw, Western, Delivery, Take-out, Catering, European

First Review by RachelLouise

Simply delicious - Edit

After eating here a few times I must say this is one of the best restaurants in the Ghent area for quality vegan food.

The owner and staff are incredibly friendly and hospitable. You can tell they do this out of a pure passion for veganism. I could tell this clearly by the way the restaurant is decorated, completely animal free(even the amazingly comfortable artificial leather chairs), but most of all the food.. which is simply delicious. really high quality dishes.

The place is a bit far away from the city(Ghent) but if you have a car I definitely recommend going if you're looking for a cozy night out with your significant other.

Highly recommended!

Pros: High quality food, Very cozy interiour, Friendly and hospitable staff

Cons: Far away from centre

Nice food to celebrate our anniversary! - Edit

We had a lovely dinner:

Chicken’ pieces with peanut sauce, 5,75€
Onion bread with smoked cheese, 4,75€
Pumpkin soup, 8€
Vegetable lasagne, 21€
Stew with sweet potatoes and chickpeas, 16€
1 piece of applepie, 9€

The starters are a bit simple. The main dishes were nice and hue portions. The lasagne was unevenly baked though, hard on one side, hardly baked on the other.

9€ for that piece of pie was very steep.

When we were there, there was one large communal table in the middle, but I believe the setting of tables has changed by now.

This is from a visit in the Spring of 2016. More in detail on my blog:

Pros: vegan restaurant, parking in front, large main dishes

Cons: vegan wines? , starters a bit simple, uncomfy chairs, toilet a bit shabby

Nice vegan restaurant - Edit

Normally when going to Gent, we go during the day and always hang around the city centre. This time we had to go in the evening by car and decided to be more flexible in our criteria.

We saw on HappyCow, Markies de Salade being open in the evening and especially the fact that on their page they presented to have raw food, made it a must do for me.

It is outside the Gent city centre and you might need a car to get there. When I tried to set it in the gps, for some reason the number was not available in the gps. The gps brought us till the street, on which there were quite some brothels. When we couldn't find it immediately, start to think about the house number, the name... we started to be a bit worried about where we were going.

When arriving, we were immediately reassured by the nice looking place inside and outside, as well as the friendly staff. On the outside, was also mentioned raw, so I was pretty excited to taste all that.

Normally in vegan restaurants proposing raw, you always have a choice of juice, smoothie, crackers, olives... or something similar to start with. When I couldn't find that on the menu and couldn't see what was raw, I asked the waitress. To my big disappointment, nothing looked like being raw besides the desserts.

Since there was no real other started, we tasted the "Kip nuggets met citrus-limoengras dip", which tasted as it should taste I guess, only took a small bite, now it was not at all my thing, I would have hoped for something more natural to be proposed as well.

For the food we took the "Kikkererwt Pindaboter curry met Basmatirijst" which was very good and the "Superfood salade" which were very good, now unfortunately was not raw neither, it contained tofu of which I'm not really a fan.

For the dessert we took the "Appel spie" and "Banaan spie" which was raw, now it was broken by having vegan cream on top of it, making it not fully raw neither.

Everything was tasting very good for a vegan, and this is a nice vegan restaurant.

I was personally a bit disappointed by the raw message not being in line with the menu, now I guess I've been over enthusiastic about that and it is more a personal preference.

Pros: Nice place, Good vegan food, Original name

Cons: Nothing really raw

Tasty! Go there if you're traveling with a car - Edit

(Vegan couple touring Belgium)

*TL;DR* Tasty! Go there if you're traveling with a car as it's far from city center.

*Facts* A vegan restaurant ran by a charming owner. 2 soups, 2 drinks, 1 salad and a large lasagna cost us ±50 euros. Opens at 11:30pm for lunch.

*Thoughts* The Pumpkin soup was very good, the salad dressing was delicious and the lasagna was spot-on. It was good vegan lunch that we felt comfortable with.

Pros: Lasagna!!, Charming owner, Parking on-site

Cons: A bit far from the city

Delicious food - Edit

This is one of the best places to eat vegan in Ghent. Their lasagne is superb! We also had a chocolate pie and a tomato-cashew soup that were very yummy.
The place is very small and not near the city center if you rely on public transportation.
The service is really friendly.

Pros: very good food, good portions, everything fresh

Cons: location is not easily reachable by bus, small place

Delicious vegan food - Edit

The food here is all very good, but the lasagna is particularly amazing, and is worth the high price. Even the small side salad it came with was really good, with pomegranate seeds and pieces of pear.

The desserts are all raw. I tried the chocolate, apple, and caramel cakes. The apple cake has a lot of big pieces of apple and was very good. The caramel cake tastes more like banana, but is also very good. And the chocolate had an amazing top layer of cocoa and coconut oil, which is one of my favorite combinations. They were sadly out of the pear cake.

The interior is simple, but nice. The waiter, who I would guess was also an owner, was very friendly and helpful.

The one kind of odd thing was the fact that the restaurant looks out on a brothel across the street. It kind of makes the name a little more relevant, though.

Overall, great restaurant. Get the lasagna.
Updated from previous review on Monday December 28, 2015

Pros: Lasagna, 100% vegan, good raw desserts

Cons: the view is of a brothel, a little on the pricey side

Return to Deurle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Markies de Salade closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.