Mario alla Fava

Contact +39-0415285147

Calle dei Stagneri 5242, Venice, Italy, 30124

Serves meat, vegan options available. Established 1960. Offers also vegan desserts (not gluten-free) which can be ordered separately from food. Specialties include pineapple and strawberry cream cake on almond, vanilla and date crust; chocolate glazed pear with orange crumble; spicy muffin with green apple and ginger sauce; rice milk extra dark chocolate gelato. From 2015 will also be offering a vegan menu. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Thu 7:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 7:00pm-10:30pm, Sun 7:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by mc1481

Amazing - one of the few chances to eat good Vegan Italian food in a nice restaurant setting - Edit

a full page Vegan menu is such a refreshing site in a city that is largely lacking in choices. There are fantastic meat and fish options too of course, so this could be the ideal place for groups with mixed diets to go to, but more ethical vegans should probably avoid looking at some of the options on the meat menu.

the setting is lovely and service was fun and playfull. located 20 meters from the street that comes off the rialto bridge its easy to find as well.

my vegan partner had a fantastic vegan pasta dish followed by a wonderfull vegan chocolate and rasberry pie thing. couple of glasses of prosecco and nice bread and all in all this was a wonderful lunch. the nicest 'dining experience' we had in venice even if it did leave us 100 euros lighter

thoroughly recommened

Pros: really great food, nice fancy restauarant

Cons: expensive, but it's venice so... , has veal etc on the menu

yum - Edit

Lovely food and lovely staff. Very friendly and welcoming environment. They have a separate vegan menu with actual interesting food with thought put into it and there was a choice of two desserts that were so delicious! Venice is actually very manageable as a vegan, there are lots of options everywhere.

Pros: lots of options for vegans

Cons: a bit expensive but it's really nice delicious

would love to give 5 stars - HC won't let me though - Edit

great vegan menu. very busy restaurant and fabulous ambience. very own vegan menu (along with an omni menu) with fabulous options.staff are very attentive and friendly we ended up going back a 2nd night. Portion sizes are huge. a little expensive but everywhere in Venice is. - if you think it's pricey I recommend going self catering. I would also advise to book in advance as this place gets very busy. they kindly found a table for us despite not making a reservation. beautifully displayed food. wonderfully tasting food. I really wish I could give this 5 stars as it does deserve them.

Pros: great location, wonderfully tasting food, vegan menu

Cons: I don't think there is. - book in advance?

Good but expensive - Edit

Waiter was friendly and helped us save money on the wine by noting they offered mini bottles that cost less than two glasses of the same wine. Delicious food. They had a gnocchi with beets in. Very unusual. My complaint is that the portion was small and the price tag high, but that's Venice for you.

Pros: Vegan menu., Helpful staff., Delicious.

Cons: Small portions., expensive.

Nice restaurant with friendly staff - Edit

They have a vegan menu, including desserts, which was very good. The staff was very friendly and the dishes looked so good. The best restaurant my wife and I tried while visiting Venice.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Vegan menu clearly marked

Great vegan starters and desserts - Edit

I was really excited to visit this restaurant and try it's vegan food on a recent visit to Venice with my boyfriend. I reserved the table before leaving the UK to ensure we weren't turned away!

We were seated in a lovely outside courtyard area, and at 7pm were the only ones there, but it soon filled up. My starter was amazing, and my boyfriend's was really nice too: I had the small “pappa al pomodoro” pie with artichoke julienne and he had the fried vegetables with rucola sauce and ginger, which was big enough to be a main! After such a great start the mains were unfortunately a big disappointment, and really lacked any flavour; these were the linguine 100% farro bio italiano with pesto and peppers sauce and the orecchiette with aubergine, sun-dried tomatoes and black olives. We may have just picked badly, but I think if I went back I'd ask if I could have two starters rather than something from the mains list.

Luckily I ended my meal on a high by ordering 'soup of strawberry with plain chocolate ice-cream' which was absolutely divine; I would highly recommend. It is more of a thick sauce than a soup; the chef who makes the desserts takes so much care over them, and also serves them to you. He looked so happy when I told him how great it was.

The service was good to begin with, but once the place got busier we started to feel quite ignored, and as we had gone there as a treat, spending a lot more than we would usually on an evening meal, I did expect better service.

The overall experience wasn't as good as I had expected, but it is definitely worth a visit and I would go back if ever in Venice again.

Pros: Interesting menu, Atmosphere, Wonderful desserts

Cons: Inconsistent quality of food, Expensive, Service

Pranzo molto costoso - Edit

Pranzo vegan composto da 2 antipasti, due primi, acqua naturale, no vino, no caffè, no dessert, no vista panoramica € 86,80.
Gli antipasti erano composti da un piatto di zucchine con pomodorini e un piatto di mopur con rucola, mentre i primi delle linguine al farro al pesto. Piatti buoni ma nella norma, nulla di eccezionale per un pranzo troppo costoso.
Il servizio non eccellente, abbiamo dovuto ricordare al cameriere che mancavano i nostri primi.

Pros: qualità

Cons: prezzo

Gorgeous Vegan Food in the Heart of Venice - Edit

Having made an extensive search for vegan restaurants to enjoy whilst on holiday in Venice, I was thoroughly pleased to have come across Ristorante da Mario alla Fava. Having just celebrated its 55th anniversary, Mario alla Fava had released a completely vegan menu to celebrate the occasion! Their website also states that this is gluten free and that they would be happy to cater for food allergies and intolerances. I emailed them immediately and booked a table for my sister's 30th birthday meal.

Having since returned from Venice, and having eaten at Mario alla Fava three times, I can confirm that the food is absolutely incredible. Every dish was seasoned to perfection, every vegetable was fresh, the presentation was impeccable and yes! They even provided vegan desserts. Drool... And not only was the food delicious, the waiters could not have been more friendly and welcoming, even giving us a discount on our final visit. It was such an enjoyable experience we felt we couldn't go just the once!

So having sampled 2/3 of the vegan menu, I really couldn't recommend this restaurant more. My only regret is that I couldn't sample the whole thing! It isn't cheap, but costs no more than a good restaurant in the UK and is perfect for special occasions. And if you hadn't gathered as much already - it really is worth it just for the food.

Please check out my blog http://www.cookingbyproxy.wordpress.com for the full review :)
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 01, 2015

Pros: Amazing Vegan Menu, Relaxing Atmosphere, Friendly Staff

expensive lunch - Edit

We came for lunch as the vegan items are marked separately on the menu. We were seated outside and were among the first to arrive for lunch. We ordered the pesto linguine and orecchiette with sun dried tomatoes and olives. I got water and Dirk got a cocktail. The entrees were nice and a decent size although I could have used a little more. For dessert, we shared the almond cake with coconut. While the coperto (cover charge) and service charge were noted on the menu, the total bill for 70 euros still surprised us, especially since we really received very little in the way of service. It was an expensive introduction to Venice which we came to learn was fairly common.

Pros: separate vegan section

Cons: serves meat, dairy and eggs

Amazing Vegan dinner in Venice. - Edit

This is a must for vegans who travel to Venice. They have a vegan section on their menu with multiple options for each course. Delicious fresh pasta, seasonal ingredients. Everything we had was wonderful.

We were there on the earlier side of dinner service, without a reservation, and were able to get one of the last tables of two before they started turning people away. So a reservation might be a good idea, especially if you are vegan and want to have a really good traditional meal with options. Its obvious the chef took time and consideration when developing their vegan section. If you are traveling with non-vegans they have plenty to choose from too. Popular with locals, so you know its good! Friendly staff, easy to find. Charming traditional interior.

Seriously a MUST!

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mario alla Fava closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.