Maoz Falafel - Muntplein

Part of an international falafel fast food chain. This one sits between the Amstel and the Reguliersbreestraat -- from the Central Station, take tram 4, 9, 16, 24 or 25, and get off at the Muntplein, walk towards the Muntplein, MAOZ is located on the left side of the square.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Mediterranean, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by Stevie

LOVE THIS! - Edit

Oh my, it's always crowdy here, and ofcourse it's deepfried falafel.. but tasty! Super tasty. And the salad bar is almost unlimited :) Go go go and enjoy!

Pros: Unlimited salad bar, super tasty falafel, also whole weat bread available

Cons: Fast food chain, Crowded, so not nice to stay for some time

More falafel! - Edit

Out of all the Maoz locations in Amsterdam I think I went here most often. It's usually slightly less busy then the other locations, and even though the seating is very limited you usually can eat sitting down. Great falafel.

Delicious everywhere! - Edit

I loved Maoz in London and New York City and so I was delighted to see that it's also available in Amsterdam which is waaaay closer to my hometown than the other locations!

The falafel are yummy and the price is okay. I especially love that you can choose the salad that should accompany your falafel yourself!

The Belgian fries are also excellent.

All in all, it's a nice quick lunch or dinner and it keeps you full for a very long time!

Pros: self-service salad bar, easy & fast ordering, moderate prices

Cons: tiny place

quick lunch - Edit

We stopped in for a late lunch and it wasn't too busy, but the few seats were already taken although they quickly opened up. I wanted a pita, but they said their oven wasn't working to heat them up, so only salad boxes were available. We also ordered fries to go with them. I've only been to a Maoz in NYC and this one had way less menu options and salad bar offerings. Also, the hummus was charged extra which I found annoying. So was the ketchup. Overall, we had a quick lunch, but I was disappointed in comparison to the NYC location.

Pros: quick lunch

Cons: less offerings than other locations, no pita bread available

Tasty, but hectic! - Edit

This was the first Maoz I ever visited, and while I liked the falafel and the concept of choosing your own fillings, there were other aspects I disliked a lot. Staff were not very friendly and the seating is very limited and uncomfortable, so ordering was a little stressful and hectic, and afterwards I ate my falafel as fast as possible to get out of there - which is a shame because, as I said, it tasted really good! On the other hand, the great location is great, close to the flower market and Rembrandtplein, and it's also a very affordable place.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 18, 2014

Pros: Tasty falafel, Cheap prices, Great location

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Hectic experience, Limited and uncomfortable seating

A veggie heaven to take away - Edit

With three Maoz Vegetarian restaurants ideally located, Amsterdam can make veggie people really happy! This Maoz is located not far from the Flower market and the Rembrandt place which is great to eat a good falafel sandwich with fries. I really liked the food. I systematically took the eggplant and hummus supplement in my sandwich, that was great! The veggie topping were varied and good, and their fries were really yummy. Because the place is well located, it could be crowded but even though the staff is not particulary friendly, it is relatively efficient.

Pros: vegan options, great fries and falafels, well located

Cons: sometimes crowded

Stressful experience - Edit

The falafel sandwich was good, the fries were tasty and crispy and I really like the idea of a sort of 'falafel buffet' but it just doesn't seem to work. There is no system, people are constantly bumping into each other, staff is trying to direct everyone but he whole thing doesn't really seem to be well planned.

Maybe one of the other locations is better...

Pros: Fresh, Crispy Fries

Cons: Shop too small, Staff seemed swamped, Overall weird vibe

What a Let Down! - Edit

Having tried numerous Maoz locations in the U.S. and Spain, Maoz in Amsterdam (both Muntplein and Damrak) is an incredible downgrade! The service SUCKS (biggest difference) and the toppings are completely simple compared to the delicious toppings you can find in other locations in the world. That said, it is still a good place to go if you are a hungry drunk vegan. Other than the fact that you can fill up on tasteless vegetables, it is not any better than a smaller kebab shop.

Pros: all-you-can-eat, open til late

Cons: not much flavor, service is bad

Fast Friendly Feed - Edit

The Maoz concept is well known & simple just don't be too greedy, respect .....and everyone's happy. Can be a bit of hustle & bustle at busy times but the well-behaved hungry Dutch crowd wait their turn. I've given up on Maoz in Barcelona because of people pushing in, going back for refills & double dipping but the Amsterdam ones including this one are well organised and the staff keep a nice handle on things. Freshly made falafel is such a treat.

Pros: fresh, lots of salad, value

Cons: small service area

Reliable chain - Edit

Similar to other Maoz - good value, high quality felafel and salad, with plenty of vegan options (dairy sauces are labelled, and the aubergine is NOT vegan, but nearly all the salad is). The only downside is a lack of seating, because this place is so popular.

Pros: portion size, quality, vegan choice

Falafel by any other name? - Edit

I'm surprised that people get so excited about this place because there are a million other shawarma/falafel joints in Amsterdam serving basically the same thing for 2 Euro cheaper! BUT I guess the positive of Maoz is that it's ALL vegetarian, unlimited filling, and there is a whole-wheat bread option (although it's still "fast food," I don't expect that it's 100% whole wheat). The salads are very yummy. It is more expensive than generic falafel- but you can get your money's worth from that unlimited salad bar I guess!

Pros: unlimited delicious salads, nutrition facts online, location

Cons: pricier than other falafel, no atmosphere, no seating

FAB! - Edit

We went to a couple of these whilst in Amsterdam. I think the first one was Muntplein but can't be too sure but I suppose they're all much of a muchness.
If you want something cheap, tasty and filling then I'd highly recommend it. For 5 euros we had falafel, hummous and flatbread and then helped ourselves to the unlimited salad, which also included couscous, pickles and sauces. Fab to grab and eat on the move or you can sit in if there's room (very limited space). Most of the food is vegan. All of it is vegetarian.
I wish they had these where I live!

Pros: delcious, filling, unlimited salad

Cons: none

Surprisingly good. - Edit

Wow, I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was. We were thinking this looked a little 'hood' at first, but it was late (1AM) so we decided to give this chain a try. I got the falafel hummus sandwich and added all the condiments I wanted (i.e. grilled green pepper, olives, tomatoes, spicy tomato sauce, etc.). It was very good and was reasonably priced ($5 Euros). It's great that this place is open late and it's also located on a very happening street in Amsterdam. Give it a try if you want food fast in a happening area. I also recommend going to the french fry place next door (just order them from there rather than Maoz - they only sell french fries so they're vegetarian by default) you won't be disappointed. +1 cow for being in a happening area and open very late!

mostly vegan? - Edit

didn't know that it was only mostly vegan. this restaurant is said to be vegan on a website i found it on. anyway, good grub so anytime youre in amsterdam, go ahead and visit. only downside is they don't have seating..proper seating anyway.

Pros: the grub, mostly vegan, lots of em in amsterdam

Cons: the seating is minimal, its really far!

not too good - Edit

This place wasn't nearly as good as the one I went to in Paris. The one in Rotterdam was slightly better also. I went here a few times for a late night meal. The guy working didn't at all seem to care about his job or the food, as those in Paris did. They don't pit the olives here. The quality of the food is at "fast-food" standards. If your use to the cheap n quick way of eating out, and your a vegy, then sure stop by and grab a bite, especially if everything else is closed. I can't say I recommend this place though.

Pros: open late

Cons: bland establishment

great for a quick bite! - Edit

i went to maoz for a quick bite while in amsterdam and enjoyed my falafel very much. there are many toppings to choose from in a nice little salad bar type area. i loaded my fallafal and hummus sandwich with toppings and a couple of their sauces. good if you just need a fast place to eat.

Great little take-out - Edit

Basic choice of falafel in white or brown pitta, hummus, fries, salad. You can also have a salad box. Once they've cooked the falafel you're given it in the pitta with lettuce only and you add the extra salad bits/sauces you want. A couple of cute stall and bar to watch the street outside but not a sit-down place - but not sure which road it was, may not be the Muntplein one. Great for what it is and glad to hear it's a chain as you know what you're getting and it's good cheap fast vegan food.

Pros: Cheap, Good location, Good food/choice

Cons: Take-out so no loos

Always delicious! - Edit

Every time I go to Amsterdam I eat at Maoz. I think the one near Central Station is closed, but there are several other locations that are all good. I just get a large falafel and load it up with salad bar goodies. A tip: add the sauce first so it trickles down to the bottom of the pita. The creamy garlic sauce is my favourite. It's inevitable you'll get sauce/food on your face, things will fall from your pita. It's part of the experience!

Pros: Delicious!, Cheap!, Filling!

Cons: A bit messy but soo worth it

Fantastic veggie food!!!! - Edit

We had a 4 day break in Amsterdam and didn't look any further for our lunches after we found Maoz. The falafel pittas were absolutely delicious available with hummus, aubergine, feta and many other additional fillings. You then fill up your pitta from the self-service salad bar which has a fantastic selection of salads, dips as well as olives, gherkins and chillies.
We would highly recommend it to any veggie or non-veggie food lovers who want a decent value delicious lunch on the go.

Good & cheap - Edit

The place has the perfect location. I hit it several times in/out of Centraal. The owner's actually Indian, and speaks English. The falafels weren't extraordinary, but it's a fast-food place; what can you expect?

busy food - Edit

They are just the same as all Maoz, though due to there location they are quite busy. The staff are quite nice.. but won't put hummus on fries, even if you are willing to pay extra... but other than that a nice vibe

Pros: fast food, nice salad bar, accessible

Cons: no hummus on fries!!!

Greatly appreciated! - Edit

Had a stopover in Amsterdam a few days ago with very little time between flights Having read good previous reviews of this restaurant, I decided to try it out and was very glad I did. The man who served me wasn't all that friendly, but he was efficient and guided me to the choice I wanted... It wasn't crowded, lunch period was just starting. I ordered falafel in whole wheat peta bread (it's good to know that option is available), hummus (which was slightly extra) and a good choice of salad fixings, entirely vegan, for 4.10 Euros, if I remember correctly. It was very filling, tasty and nourishing, a real lifesaver, as it was impossible to have anything vegan on the flight beforehand and very difficult on the long flight afterwards. (That's another story!)

Pros: Fresh vegan ingredients, nourishing, filling, tasty, good value

Cons: Not all that friendly

Maoz, Centraal station, Amsterdam - Edit

Maoz is a top outfit. Simple short menu on offer of either falafel sandwiches or chips (call them french fries if you prefer). After that it is serve yourself at the salad bar with some delicious dips and sauces among the offerings. Almost all is vegan. I've rarely seen better fast food offerings. Great value for money.

Pros: Tasty food, Valur for money, Convenient location

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maoz Falafel - Muntplein closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5603 times since Aug 2007.