Maoz Falafel - Damrak

Contact 020-4509987

Damrak 40, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1012 LK

Another branch this international falafel fast food chain. This one is on the main street between Central Station and Dam Square. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Mediterranean, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by slithers

Good Food, Awkward Layout - Edit

Overall this was a nice place for a Vegan snack. I had the felafel in a brown pitta with hummus and added veggies from the salad bar. It was freshly cooked and tasted great!

Pros: Good Location , Convenient , Reasonably Priced

Cons: Salad Bar Is In An Awkward Position - You Get In E

Small range but with free hands to choose - Edit

Not much to choose between so we ordered falafel with fries. You could pick the vegetables your self, which was both fresh and inspiring. It didn't taste very good, but the sauce saved the dish.

Quite cheap to eat, with many places to sit. It was not hard to find because of its bright logo.

Pros: pick own vegetables , cheap, easy to find

Cons: not much to choose between

the best vegan falafel - Edit

It was almost midnight and I had nothing to eat, and right across my hotel I saw Maoz Falafel, I went there and told them I was vegan and they made me a delicious falafel, the best I've ever had

Very Nice! - Edit

I visited here for a quick lunch. It was surprisingly good for a fast food place. You get given your pitta with falafels in then pick what you want to add. It is easy to see what is vegan and what is not. There are loads of salad choices, I loved the dill cucumbers best.

We ordered fries with our falafel, but could barely eat them as the pitta was so big. It was really busy but we still got a seat. The place was clean, the staff were lovely, and the food was really tasty. We paid 18 euros for a pitta each and normal size fries, plus a drink (there were two of us).

I'll definitely go here again if i need a quick lunch in Amsterdam.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, large portions

Cons: very busy, not always a seat free

Falafel! - Edit

I love Maoz. This location is quite busy, but not as insane as the (mediocre) place next door that sells fries and always has massive lines due to some weird reason. Still hard to get a seat usually. There's not that many good vegen options in the immediate area, so I'm happy it's here. Indifferent service like in evey other Maoz location.

Best falafel - Edit

I don't even want to know how many times I've been here over the years. So it's about time to give 'em a nice review. Falafel is great, plenty of choices from the saladbar and sauces (some aren't vegan though). Sometimes it's a bit crowded, and there are not a lot of seatings. Also some of the staff is very unfriendly, but others are nice. Fries are good too.

Pros: Great salad bar, Good falafel, Quick

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Crowded

Good for vegans, just pay attention when take away - Edit

If you take the falafel the cole slaw and some sauses are not vegan, the rest is vegan. The falafel and salads are tasty and really a good lunch or dinner. It's not expensive at all and taste fresh.
So I do recommend eating there, but when you order take away pay attention to how much they pack up. I ended up with only 2 falafels in the pita when I came home and there are suppose to be 4 or 5 if you order the bigger one.
Personnel is okay, not really nice but also not cranky.

Pros: Cheap, Great for vegans, Tasty falafel

Cons: Small, Don't do take away, Sometimes crowded you can't sit

fast, jummy and easy on the wallet - Edit

The place is quite crowded all the time, still friendly staff and very tasty food. With the falafel in a white or brown pita you have unlimited toppings and can come back and refill the pita as often as you want, which is amazing because the toppings are very tasty.
Because you get to pick yourself what you put and how much of it, it is the perfect falafel for oneself!
Because of the crowd it is rather dirty there although the staff is cleaning when they have time.
Even if you get a seat at a table it is still food "on the go".

Pros: fast, tasty, cheap

Cons: crowded, dirty floors and tables

Tasty food, fast! - Edit

Falafel is always a safe bet with our family because I am veg and my husband is not. This place is great! The associate knew right away what sauces, ingredients had dairy so I could avoid them. They give you the (delicious) falafel in pita and you can add as many toppings as you want- and there are a lot of them! My only complaint is that there isn't much place to sit.

Pros: Many options, Knowledgeable staff, Tasty

Cons: Small seating area

The one in Paris is a lot better - Edit

As we have eaten in Paris a few times, when we traveled to Amsterdam, we made sure to visit. It's disappointing, though. The place was bigger with more staff but it's not clean and unsystematic.

The falafel tasted bland. We'd rather visit other places.

Pros: Inexpensive

Cons: Not clean, Not tasty

Recommened for a quick and satisfying meal - Edit

I am glad I found this place, very tasty and quickly served food. I had a massive falafel wrap (you can choose between white and wholegrain pitta) with hummus and unlimitted toppings for less than 5 euros.

The only thing I didn't like was the staff- unfriendly and unhelpful.
Also,
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 14, 2015

Pros: quick, big portions, good price, unlimitted toppings

Cons: unfriendly staff, crowded

really really good - Edit

I was there the first time with friends and it is sooo good (thumbs up)
The price is ok for the quality too it is just a pitty that it was a bit stressy and crowded so you couldn't really eat "in quiet"...

Quick, cheap, tasty! - Edit

This was the second Maoz I visited in Amsterdam, and I liked it so much more than the one at Muntplein! Although the concept is exactly the same, this Maoz was better because the staff were so much more friendly. It was absolutely crowded, but still it wasn't as stressful, as the staff remained calm and very friendly. There is of course not a lot of seating, so I was lucky to get a seat.
This time I opted for the salad box because it's easier to eat than a falafel within a pita bread, and the falafel in the box tasted really good (again). I also had a fresh carrot juice which was also good.

Pros: Perfect location, Delicious falafel for a great price, Friendly service

Cons: Not a lot of seating

The best salad bar I have seen in years - Edit

Very good value as you can take as much salad/sauces as you want. My only complaint is that vegan options aren't labelled.

Edit - the last few times I have been (2013-14), the staff have not been particularly friendly

Updated from previous review on Sunday August 21, 2011

Pros: Great location, Great value

Cons: Vegan options not marked

A veggie heaven to take away - Edit

With three Maoz Vegetarian restaurants ideally located, Amsterdam can make veggie people really happy! This Maoz is located not far from the central station. I really liked the food, which is quite the same from a Maoz location to another. I systematically took the eggplant and hummus supplement in my sandwich, and that was great! The veggie topping were varied and good. Even though the staff is not particulary friendly, it is relatively efficient if the restaurant is crowded. This one offers more seats than the others because it can put tables on the street.

Pros: vegan options, great fries and falafels, well located

Cons: sometimes crowded

Maoz is Awesome! - Edit

I came to this place for the first time on my to Centraal Station. Love the buffet style of vegetables and condiments, inexpensive and abundant serving!

Pros: Buffet style of vegetables and condiment, Tasty, Inexpensive

Cons: Nothing

Take Away - Edit

In the Dam, close to the central Station, this Take Away restaurant serves two falafel in a plastic box and you can fill it with all food as you can introduce.

Perfect for vegan hand luggage for travel in train or plane.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 02, 2014

Pros: Inexpensive, In the center od the city, Takw away good for travel

Great snack bar - Edit

Very easy to find. 2 minute walk from central station. Open from around 11am to 1am so very convenient if you are peckish for a snack. Falafel pittas are €4.50 with unlimited salad bar (sometimes it can be so busy it's hard to keep budging in getting back and forth to the counter). Large chips are only €2.50 and they are very big portions. The only downside is that you have to pay for sauce as an extra for 50 cents. Also fresh orange juice is €1.90 for a small cup, very nice and freshing!
We made a trip here everyday as the food was lovely! Definitely pop here for a snack, as it's a nice fast food restaurant for Veggies!

Pros: Cheap for veggie food, Vegan too (minus the coleslaw/some sauces), Location

Cons: Price for sauce, Very busy, Seating area packed

Disappointing - Edit

Arriving in Amsterdam, I expected the Maoz to be even better than in Paris, but what a let-down.

The basics are there, the falafels are tasty, the veg. and toppings are fine, although I didn't see some like the cauliflower that are in other branches.

But - they don't have any meal deals, so if you end up getting a normal order like falafel with hummus, fries and a drink, you end up paying too much with all the charges for add-ons.

Apart from the price, the place just seemed very lacklustre.

The olives were not pitted - nasty surpise if you bite into one without realising.

I ordered fresh orange juice and it was very sour and tasteless.

I asked for ketchup on the fries, they came back with mayo + ketchup poured on top and asked if it was ok. I said no, I just want ketchup, so the guy goes around the corner and comes back with the order of fries still having bits of mayo down the inside, but now with more ketchup on top. Very poor.

Pros: Maoz quality of falafels, Cones for holding the fries are useful

Cons: Extra charges feel like a rip-off, Service mediocre

A Let Down - Edit

Having tried numerous Maoz locations in the U.S. and Spain, Maoz in Amsterdam (both Muntplein and Damrak) is an incredible downgrade! The service SUCKS (biggest difference) and the toppings are completely simple compared to the delicious toppings you can find in other locations in the world. That said, it is still a good place to go if you are a hungry drunk vegan. Other than the fact that you can fill up on tasteless vegetables, it is not any better than a smaller kebab shop.

Pros: open til late, relatively inexpensive, all you can eat

Cons: service is awful, not flavorful

Amaozing - Edit

What else needs to be said, if you know falafel you know Maoz. There are plenty in Amsterdam. This one's on the main drag between Centraal Station & Dam Square - the very very busy Damrak. Great to see people who may not normally eat vegetarian go in and order the amazing falafel and salad sandwiches. Why go to McDirty's & that chicken cruelty place nearby when this fresh and fabulous place is nearby. Good value at €4.00 for a small sandwich with unlimited salad or €4.50 for a large (€5 with humous or battered aubergine)

Pros: fresh, price

Really tasty, cheap vegan food in Amsterdam - Edit

This is part of a chain of falafel cafes in Amsterdam. It's not a difficult city to find vegan food in, but finding an exclusively veggie place with lots of vegan options is always very welcome. There are really two things you can get here - falafels and chips, so beware the carb overload! The falafels come in either a pitta or in a salad box and in different sizes. We chose the large pitta which came with a free salad bar. I think the only non-vegan thing in the salad bar is the coleslaw, but the salad was so varied and tasty (roast aubergine, spicy onions, chilli sauce, greens etc) that it really didn't matter. The chip cones were huge and there are lots of sauces to choose from. And because of its location it stays open til 2am. Win!

Pros: Location, Price, Variety

Cons: Busy , Not many tables

Best pick in Amsterdam - Edit

You probably already know Maoz. If you don't, go to one as soon as you can. This one is easily accessible, just outside the central train station. There's not much seating, and none of it is inside, so that's tough when it's raining, but you get a lot of food for a cheap price, and it's not cheap quality. This is an easy spot to find and great if you're in a hurry. Definitely go here. The Tahini sauce is vegan (the other sauces aren't) and items on the salad bar are quite obvious whether they're vegan or not.

Pros: All-vegetarian

Cons: No indoor seating, Few chairs

Great falafel! - Edit

This place is wonderful - some of the best falafel I've had and *nearly* everything was vegan (I think everything except one or two sauces), but you do need to ask. Also, in Europe, as a vegan, you have to be careful about french fries (lard is still prevalent), but not to worry here - delicious french fries vegetarian&vegan safe!

Pros: Almost everything is vegan, Delicious, Vegan fries!

Cons: No trays/plates

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maoz Falafel - Damrak closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7252 times since Feb 2011.