Mantras Veggie Cafe and Tea House

Contact 2253-6715

200 este de la Rotonda del Farolito (at Barrio Escalante), San Jose, Costa Rica,

Local restaurant serving fusion cuisine and some raw food. Current location with is pet friendly area with ample parking. Reported re-opened to HappyCow Feb 2014. Open Mon-Sun 8:30am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Raw, Delivery, Take-out, Caribbean, Costa Rican

First Review by ticavegana

I wish I lived near this restaurant! - Edit

My boyfriend and I came here for our first brunch on our vacation in Costa Rica, and this cafe was the perfect start to our adventure. We got coffees, shared a smoothie, and ordered sandwiches that came with a large side salad. Everything was so delicious! The service was good, everyone was friendly, the place had a nice outdoor space (we saw a couple lizards in the trees near our table), and was decorated nicely-great vibe. They sell a lot of health foods (packaged for use at home), organic personal care items, and essential oils too. Those items were kind of expensive but they kind of always are. I definitely recommend this place for any vegetarian or vegan spending any time in San Jose. We were only there for one day or we would have gone back for sure! Oh they also source locally to support Costa Rican farmers!

Pros: vegetarian and mostly vegan, sourced locally, great vibe

Fresh, healthy food!! - Edit

very nice location, great atmosphere, maybe the best vegan food in san jose!!
friendly stuff, fresh & healthy food.
we had sweet sour bowl, nonchicken wrap, green juice, coffee & raw cheese cake.
all vegan, all perfect!
it's a great place to sit and relax.

Pros: mostly vegan

Great restaurant - Edit

I tend to come to this place for lunch on saturdays, every time I taste something different and it never ever dissapoints (although I really really love the Pad Thai).

Totally recommended.

Cons: Closed at night.

Lovely Place for Lunch - Edit

I've been to Mantras several times. The first time was close to closing time (5pm), and we were disappointed that they weren't open for dinner, and that by the end of the day, some of the items on the menu were not available. I really enjoy their chicken substitution entrees, and the juices and smoothies. It is really a large range menu that satisfies vegetarian, vegan, and raw diets.
tao www.samaritanxocolata.com

Pros: great variety, nice little shop (but expensive), meat substitute menu items are good

Cons: not open for dinner, windy at outside tables, "no hay" on menu items at times

nice place, great juice, better than average food - Edit

I had the veggie juice which was great, the ingredients felt fresh. The Spicy Pad Thai was not spicy at all and although somewhat tasty, it is kind of mushy and the 'hongo' is more like what I know as 'champignon' ie. the white mushroom that does not have much nutritional or medicinal value, which is what I think of as 'hongo' eg. Shiitake, maitake, etc. my friend had the maracuya pie and he said it was very good albeit a bit heavy.

Average - Edit

This one is cheaper than Ravi and has a more yoga/hippie feeling to it. During daytime the place is bright, open and clean. The food is nice although I usually don't sit for long and when I do, I sit at the bar. The furniture and decorations are not the best but they are ok.

Pros: Good food., Has a lot of vegan options

Cons: Not very special

The atmosphere is amazing, the food is phenomenal and the staff and owners are so nice!!! I have gone countless times during my study abroad time here because the food is so great. The drinks and desserts are to die for. I am going to miss the place the most when I leave. Recommend it to all, and have brought "meat-a-tarians" here and they loved it as well! Slightly pricey but really really really worth it.

Excellent food! - Edit

We had the crispy chicken salad and a vegan burger and both dishes were absolutely delicious!
Staff is very friendly, food is excellent and very reasonably priced. This is a must when in San José!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, lovely atmosphere

so good! - Edit

Came here on our one and only day in San Jose. My friend and I both got the yogi bowl, it was huge and so good! the milkshakes are HEAVEN!!! Orange and cream!!! ohmygosh. It's been 2 years since I've been here but I am still dreaming about it.

What a gem! - Edit

We were totally amazed by the deliciousness of the food we ate here! We ordered two of the daily specials (the vegetarian lasagna and the flauta (an enchilada filled with squash, yucca, avocadoes with a delicious salsa) and both were exquisite and huge! All the daily specials were accompanied by a huge salad and a little plate with 3 types of incredible dressing (tahini, avocado/cilantro, and honey). My husband took the yogi bowl and it was AMAZING. We ordered to green juices that were just delicious! The mango/maracuya vegan pie was excellent, but the chocolate cake and organic ice cream were a bit disappointing. The terrace is really nice and we just LOVED this place!

Pros: Amazing food (not average, DELICIOUS), Lots of vegan (and even some raw) option, Delicious green juices

Cons: Some deserts were disappointing

Fantastic Meal Every Time - Edit

I've been a customer at Mantras for a while now, and they never disappoint. I can honestly say that every single meal and drink I've ever had here has been amazing. A total treat to the senses. My boyfriend who is not a vegetarian is also a big fan. The specials are always great and you can't miss with the A La Carte menu. Every dish comes with a small salad with fresh dressings made with local ingredients. The cas dressing is one I particularly love and was a great surprise the first time I tried it. The menu is quite diverse, with veggie, vegan and raw vegan options. I find their menu to be the most balanced out of all vegetarian places in the area, with meals having lots of vegetables and protein and not solely relying on grains. The service has always been excellent, with friendly staff. They are now moving to a larger location nearby that will be pet-friendly.

Pros: Variety, Excellent Food, Friendly Staff

Absolutely the best! - Edit

THis is the very best vegetarian restaurant in Costa Rica. I have lived here 13 years. Excellent!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 06, 2010
Continues to WOW the patrons. We are regulars here!! July 2011. February 2012- will convert any meat-eater!!!

Updated from previous review on Monday July 25, 2011

Pros: very clean, friendly staff, great desserts

Cons: sometimes is hard to find a table!

i can't get enough of this place! - Edit

mantras is by far my favorite all-around veggie restaurant in costa rica! i love going in there and getting the best service from an outstanding staff. there portion sizes are perfect, there prices are affordable, and it's conveniently located. i have nothing but positive things to say about mantras and i will continue to promote them, as i feel a sense of community everytime i go in there!

Pros: healthy food, friendly staff, good value

Cons: hours

Yummy vegan fare, friendly staff, daily specials! - Edit

Mantras is the kind of place I LOVE to find when traveling- it's all vegetarian, with a HUGE focus on healthy vegan offerings. It's priced in the same range as the burgers at Vishnu, and it's far healthier and fresher! Their smoothies are a great value, too. The staff is really fantastic- the owners (a couple) are always there and are really friendly and attentive. I've been in so many times, I've befriended them :) I highly recommend this place for lunch! Go earlier to be able to pick from the whole specials board.

Pros: taste, value, healthiness

Cons: no dinner

Original and Delicious - Edit

I'm a vegetarian for 10 years and am very happy with the Mantra restaurant that makes a difference to your menu, your care, environment and quality of their food. For shows that not only eat lettuce but there are many recipes full of flavor, color, texture and satisfy the palate.

Pros: Menu, Ambient, Service

excellent food, good service, friendly, stylish - Edit

Just returned from dinner at Mantras, it was our first visit there. Highly recommend a visit! The restaurant is bright, open and fresh and the menu is varied and interesting with plenty to choose from with several platos del dia too. The juice drinks are wonderful, very fresh! The raw deserts are delicious and each dish is filling and very healthy, you can feel the energy from your plate! Friendly service, felt very welcome and immediately at home. It'll be a regular stop on trips to San Jose!

Pros: delicious, fresh, hearty

Cons: -, -, -

Vegan and RAW food in San Jose - Edit

Great vegetarian food... wonderful staff and very clean cafe. they are adding more raw food options but at present the raw specials are on wednesday... the raw pizza is rawesome! and available every day. Great salads and smoothies as well! Worth a visit if in Costa Rica! I'm heading over now...

Pros: friendly, clean, tasty

The most amazing food - Edit

I recently ate at Mantras and had the best Mexican food ever. It was Mexican Week there and I had the enchiladas and chiles rellenos. Wow. I am originally from Mexico and know what how to distinguish great Mexican food. I will definitely come back and try more.

The staff was great. Very friendly.

Place was very clean.

Pros: Excellent Food, Unique tasting food, Friendly Staff

Great place - Edit

I really enjoy visit Mantras, really clean, the personnel are very kind, and the food delicious!!!, have many vegan options, or you can make it vegan, also the raw options looks great!, I defintly will back

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, clean place

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mantras Veggie Cafe and Tea House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11548 times since Aug 2009.