CLOSED: Manna Haven

Contact 02-66856926

97 Jonson St, Byron Bay, New South Wales, 2480

A health food vegetarian cafe run by a ministry of the Byron Bay SDA Church. Sources from local growers and has free Wi-Fi. Extensive menus. Confirmed closed Dec 2016. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-3:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by keganpravin

Gone Downhill - Edit

We used to enjoy their burger,but the last visit 2 weeks ago was highly disappointing!The gluten free bun was burnt and the patty size halved.The server appeared disinterested and the food took ages to arrive.Come on and lift your game back to your previously high standard.

Cons: small portions, high cost, disinterested staff

Not to be missed! - Edit

This is the best place to come in Byron Bay! Don't be put off by it's very close connection to the Seventh Day Adventist Church. This little vegetarian cafe is ran by the church and is situated in the building on the main street. Not open on Saturdays, the cafe is open for breakfast and lunch most days. Meals are hearty and very healthy. The big burger is an absolute must have. It is wholesome and massive. A truly great meal, you'll need both hands. The hommus is creamy, rich and nutty. The lentil burger is gigantic and flavoursome.
But, the best bit…and the reason we spent an entire extra day at Byron Bay, is the breakfast. This place does VEGAN WAFFLES. You heard me! With a side of berry sauce, maple syrup and loads of flavour, this is one heck of a meal and you can't leave Byron Bay if you haven't had it. The big breakfast is another winner…lots of beans, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and delicious toast all washed down with a green smoothie. Can you get a better meal than that? i'm not convinced. Service is reasonable, not overly attentive, but they get the job done. Prices are reasonable and portion size is pretty generous. Delicious.

Pros: Generous portion sizes, Hearty and healthy, They have vegan waffles!

Cons: Not open on Saturdays, Relaxed waiting staff

Don't come here hungry! - Edit

I did, and I paid for it.

Although the venue was in its last hour of trading on a slow Sunday afternoon, the kids who ran the place (all staff seemed to be 15-20 years old) seemed to be late with everyone's orders! I waited 30 minutes for mine and was about to walk out when my meal appeared.

Thankfully it was both cheap and yummy: Manna Haven lists a $10 special on its deals board every day. My special meal was a slice of the moussaka with some salad. At a third cheaper than the real moussaka item on the menu, it was not bad at all, in terms of both size and flavour. However, it was really the passionfruit cheezecake that made my lunch and caused me to forget my earlier hunger. It is still rare to find almost every dessert in a vegetarian establishment being vegan, but this is the case at Manna Haven.

All in all, I will come back here in a less-hungry state next time, give the staff plenty of time to get their act together, and enjoy more of their wonderful menu. I hope that the staff work out their timing issues and put in a more professional appearance.

Note that their website is great - clear and informative - and will allow you to make up your mind about what you want to order before you arrive (if you get there hungry...)

Pros: Lovely, bright atmosphere, shady outdoor seating, great food choices

Cons: slow staff

Amazing - Edit

Visited April 2013. We couldn't have asked for more on a sunny afternoon.. a spacious, light & breezy cafe with friendly & sincere service. It's a relaxed place where you can go & take your time, use the wifi etc. The menu has heaps of variety & many veganised comfort foods-- we chose lasagne & moussaka. Both were very well presented & came with two side salads of your choice. Oh & both were ridiculously delicious. Also, they have many milk selections including almond milk! It is affiliated with the Christian religion but they don't force it & they have a beautiful ethos which is to nurture God's creatures & support the local community by sourcing ingredients locally. Only thing I would warn about this place is don't go here if you are on a tight time schedule, our meals seemed to take quite awhile to come out. But hey, who is in a rush in Byron Bay anyway?? =) I would go back here in an instant!

Pros: FLAVOUR! vegan comfort dishes, Sunny & spacious vibe, Locally sourced ingredients

Cons: Slightly slow

Delicious! - Edit

Really friendly staff, great set up with lots of open windows and natural light throughout the whole restaurant. The food was delicious - I had the big brekky with scrambled tofu, roasted tomatoes, garlic mushrooms, fresh greens and beans. I couldn't finish it all, it was so big! The green smoothie was amazing! I highly recommend.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly Staff, Nice Vibe

Amazing vegetarian food in Byron Bay - Edit

We love to come to Manna Haven. The food is always really well presented and tastes fantastic. The lasagne is particularly good. I'd certainly recommend visiting and trying some of their dishes! They also have free wifi wich is handy.

Pros: Delicious Food, Free Wifi, Location

Return to Byron Bay Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Manna Haven closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.