CLOSED: Mangetout Organic Cafe

• Catering Catering

Contact 860-444-2066

140 State St (at Green), New London, Connecticut, USA, 06320

Serves meat, vegan options available. Organic food cafe where vegan items are noted on the changing menu. Seats 12-16. Cafe confirmed closed, Oct 2014.

First Review by rileysoprano

Excellent lunch spot for I-95 pass-through - Edit

A pleasant place with an excellent selection of lunch items. I thoroughly enjoyed the edamame hummus and crunchy veggies wrap and the soup of the day, both of which were vegan. My spouse was satisfied with the falafel wrap, although he did say it was bland. We got the front window table, the best in the house, so no complaints about crowding. Friendly, efficient service.

We stopped here because it was midway on a long drive, as always using HappyCow as our information source. It's quick and easy to get to from I-95, in a nice part of New London.

Pros: Good food, wide selection, Pleasant atmosphere

Love, love, love this place. - Edit

This place is awesome. The owner is so sweet and talkative. I really enjoy going here for lunch. Excellent pastries (cookies and cupcakes are heavenly), and they make great soy hot chocolate. This is the best vegan option in New London. Bring your friends and family and have a sit down meal. You'll love it!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Nice vibe

Cons: Small portions

My favorite restaurant in the area - Edit

I was thrilled to discover Mangetout in New London. It offers lots of vegan, vegetarian and non-veg choices that are all healthy and delicious. They take all dietary choices/allergies seriously and have everything marked appropriately. My favorite sandwich is the tempeh reuben or the tofu walnut burger and my husbands is the chicken and carmelized onion panini. My husband and I always split a bowl of the soup (usually vegan) which changes daily and we are never disappointed. All of the desserts are amazing but I am very partial to the peanut oat cookie. This restaurant is definitely worth your time if you are in the area. Fresh, healthy, organic and delicious would be the best words to describe Mangetout. If the rating system allowed I would certainly have given 5 "cows"

Pros: Excellent healthy food, Owner is very personable

Cons: Only open for brunch/lunch, Small dining room

Great Lunch Spot With Vegan Options - Edit

Mangetout was quite tasty. The owner was sweet. We traded vegan cupcake secrets and I recommended some vegan cookbooks to her. They open for breakfast, brunch, and lunch, no dinner. They have at least one vegan menu item each day (their menus change daily) and several vegan dessert options, again all organic.

I had the edamame hummus wrap with a soy latte. I also took a chocolate nut fudge bar to go.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2009/04/ive-got-that-joy-joy-joy-joy-down-in-my.html

Pros: vegan friendly, organic, cute cafe

the BEST vegan fare in the New London area - Edit

Organic Mangetout is spelled ManGetOut. Even more ill-conceived than its French name is its illegible logo, both which hardly foster commercial success, yet thankfully it indeed has succeeded commercially. Open only to 4pm Tuesdays to Sundays (and recently also 6pm to 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays), it is the only restaurant in the New London area that places the word vegan very clearly on its menu. It also is the only restaurant in hick town New London that serves brown rice, rather than white. One-quarter of its entrees are vegan, and its one soup usually is vegan, so it deserves an A+ for effort, garners A for results, but gets C for Cramped quarters, especially when it has a well deserved crowd at 7pm on Friday or Saturday evenings. Parking is always a problem on State Street, but you can count on finding parking just around the corner on Eugene O'Neill Drive. Still, no matter how far you park your car, it's well worth your trek, and well worth your patronage.

Pros: nutritious and delicious food, menu is 1/4 vegan

Cons: parking

Amazing for celiacs :) - Edit

In addition to being a yummy haven for vegetarians and vegans, this cute cafe is also great for gluten sensitivities and nut allergies. They really seem to care about the customer's welfare, and the prices are resonable. Plus, the food is delicious!

Pros: Celiac-Friendly, Vegetarian-Friendly, Tasty!

nice small organic cafe - Edit

This small cafe has a rotating menu that changes daily. On today's menu was a vegan soup, vegan sandwich and two vegan desserts in addition to several vegetarian options. This place did serve some meat BUT it was the most veg-friendly place I have found while visiting my in-laws here in Connecticut.

Sadly, we were just stopping in for coffee and cake. The coffees and dessert were outstanding. The atmosphere was nice and bright with white table cloths and mismatched cloth napkins. The gentleman who helped us was very friendly and helpful and willing to answer all of our questions about the menu. He even insisted on making fresh coffee just for us!

The menu items were clearly identified as vegan, gluten free etc.. and all of the meals around us looked and smelled delicious. I look forward to eating an entire meal here soon.

Pros: friendly, tasty, vegan food clearly marked

Cons: I had already eaten lunch!

Return to New London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Mangetout Organic Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.