Manatee Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 904-826-0210

525 State Rd 16 Ste 106 (at Westgate Plaza), St Augustine, Florida, USA, 32084

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu is American vegetarian except for chicken. Breakfast and lunch offered all day. Will modify any dish for allergies. Relaxed atmosphere.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by

Always Delicious - Edit

I've been here multiple times and every time the food has been wonderful. The veggie pita is scrumptious and so is the veggie burrito. My mom loves the pizza which is made on a pita and topped with so many vegetables.

Pros: delicious food, natural artwork decorates the place, great atmosphere

Cons: limited seating

Fantastic! - Edit

Had a fantastic lunch here today! Nice staff, fast service even though they were very busy! The place was full when we arrived. We've eaten as Vegans for only 5 weeks now so we weren't sure what to expect. The food was absolutely delicious! We will definitely be back! Sensitive to Celiac's (must eat gluten free) also which means a lot to us.

Pros: excellent food , friendly staff

A Favorite Sunday Breakfast Spot - Worth The Wait! - Edit

I've been going here a few times a year for 6 years, and it's always consistently good! Sometimes there's a little wait on Sunday mornings, but once seated we never felt rushed in any way. Ovo/lacto vegetarians will be very happy, I'm not vegan but I believe the staff will gladly offer substitutions. These folks at Manatee have been offering veggie food in St. Augustine longer than anybody else.

Pros: Yummy vegetarian food, Long-time established restaurant, Fun wall murals

Cons: A 15 minute drive from downtown, Not totally vegetarian, Limited number of tables

Go here, vacationing vegans! - Edit

I adored this place. I had the tofu scramble with hashbrowns (which are actually home fries) and my friend had the breakfast burrito. They had vegan chocolate pie, but someone else got the last piece, so we split a cookie. They have a few hard-to-find veggie grocery items like veg cream cheese, etc. Staff was friendly, opposed to what older reviews said. Location is lacking, but it's great inside. I agree that the potatoes were overly salty, as someone else said. Still, I wish I had longer to stay- I'd come here again!

Pros: BREAKFAST, breakfast, BREAKFAST

Cons: salty

Too salty - Edit

Went there after the great reviews. However, when I got my dish, it was so salty that I could not eat it. When I told the waitress, she told me she could bring me some rice. She did not understand that it still was too much sodium to consume. After asking for the manager, they agreed to bring me a veggie burger instead. The burger was ok, nothing special. My husband's dish was also too salty. How can this place be claim to be healthy, but then bring you dishes that are inedible and the staff not understand this?

Pros: Easy location

Cons: Salty dishes, Rude staff

Great Food! Neat Little Place! - Edit

I just went there for the first time with my friend. I ordered stir fry with tofu and it was wonderful!!! Very large portions too, enough to take home. The hashbrowns are really good too. My friend got a green smoothie and it was good. Cute little place with friendly service. Definitely going back.

Pros: vegan cheese, tofu

Love this place- tofu Reuben is awesome! - Edit

I've been eating at the Manatee since it opened in the 90s (used to be called Veggie Mama's I think). The best thing ever is the tofu Reuben. It is just a unique and special sandwich and I crave it when I don't have one for a while. Everything I've ever ordered has been good.

Pros: unique, vegan friendly

Delicious food! - Edit

I have had a tofu breakfast burrito and a soba noodle bowl at the Manatee Cafe. I think I paid about $7 or $8 for each dish, and both were very good. Breakfast is served all day.

This is a small, dimly lit place in a strip mall, with murals of manatees and mermaids painted on the walls. It is not a fancy place, but I loved the atmosphere.

Pros: Low cost, Reasonably sized portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Not vegan

Best breakfast - Edit

I ate at the Manatee Cafe while visiting St. Augustine for a wedding October '10. It was on a list of local restaurants that our hotel provided, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed it. My boyfriend and I liked it so much we ate here two days in a row. I was thrilled to find that they serve vegan pancakes and waffles (for me) as well as regular (for my omnivore boyfriend). The service was good and the food was delicious! The tofu scramble was incredible - I highly recommend it.

I would give this restaurant a 5/5 rating, but only a max of 4/5 is allowed for non-vegetarian restaurants.

Pros: good value, vegan friendly, pleasant atmosphere

Cons: easy to miss location

Excellent breakfast! - Edit

I just returned from a delightful breakfast at Manatee Cafe. I had the tofu scramble with a small salad and toast. Following that, I ordered a frozen banana/strawberry/apple juice smoothie. My meal was prepared perfectly because the staff is veggie/vegan oriented. The cook/chef told me that everything "starts out vegan" and then ingredients are added as required by the menu item. She also said that every 3rd Sunday is "Veggie Day" that caters exclusively to vegetarians/vegans. I am eager to promote this cafe, so I bought a t-shirt and mug! I will be back before I leave town tomorrow. Thank you!

Most Wonderful... - Edit

We found this restaurant through Happy Cow. We were looking for some healthy vegetarian restaurants while visiting St. Augustine. I can honestly say that this restaurant had the best vegetarian food we've ever had!! (This is comparing this restaurant against ones in California & New York) The food is delicious,the portions are ample and everything is very fresh. There was a short wait, as this place is obviously popular with the locals. So many selections to choose from. The staff is efficient and friendly. Anytime we are in this area we will visit.

Pros: excellent food, great menu, good price

Cons: building too small

Why We Go to St. Augustine! - Edit

My Boyfriend and I LOVE this restaurant, and it's the reason we travel to St. Augustine as much as we do. Probably the most frustrating part about being vegan is the lack of good breakfast place, but Manatee Cafe fits the bill.

Pros: VEGAN BREAKFAST!, Mmmm, Vegan Chocolate Pie:-p, LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

Cons: Location:, Too hip to be in a strip mall!, Should be in a quaint area instead:-)

fantastic! - Edit

we were so pleasently surprised to find this great place!

i ate the best bagel i ever had with hummus, avocado, sprouts and my boyfriend had pancakes. very nice staff, that made us feel right at home.

we are still talking about going back to st. augustine just because of this place! 5/5 cows!

Pros: food is amazing, great staff, cheap!

Wow. That's a lot of tofu. - Edit

I stopped in the Manatee Cafe during my stay in St. Augustine, having heard it was vegetarian and could do vegan.

Wow. There's a lot of tofu on the menu. A LOT.

If I didn't have any other food concerns, this would be a great stop. But the place is such a small business that my server was on the phone when she took my order and I didn't get a chance to ask what was actually in anything. My tofu scramble with hashbrowns was actually a tofu scramble with seasoned small cut potatoes/home fries. And there was some mystery flavoring in the tofu scramble that wasn't mentioned in the description.

The food was good tasting and the location was clean. But it was a hap-hazard operation from what I could tell (someone had to re-take another customer's order at one point. And I wasn't told the specials but a customer that came later on was) and it would've been nice to be informed earlier about what exactly was in the dish.

Pros: good prices, vegetarian diner-style food, clean

Cons: not run smoothly, lack of non-tofu options, menu descriptions don't match dishes

Awesome lunch at Manatee Cafe! - Edit

We went to lunch at this restaurant on Friday when we were in town visiting. The staff was so nice and helpful and the food is excellent. We will definitely eat there next time we're in town. It's a little outside the historic area but well worth visiting.

Pros: Food, Friendly Staff, Well priced

Cons: Worth the minor trip.

Very good - Edit

I wanted to eat light so I got the rice and beans. It was really good - black beans and jasmine rice with a small salad filled with spring mix, sweet potato, mushroom, sprouts, carrots. My husband got the veggie burrito which is really a soft taco with chips and hummus on the side. It was crowded which is nice to see.

*Favorite Local Spot* - Edit

I love the Manatee Cafe, they are extremely vegan friendly and will accommodate for almost any needs. They are local and organic when available, and I love all of the options. My non-vegan family also has found the Manatee to be their favorite spot, breakfast or lunch any time of the year. The service is excellent, the employees are genuine and courteous, the facility is always clean and the food is fast- zero complaints.

Pros: options, quality, service

Unimpressed - Edit

The wait staff is very unfriendly, I thought it was me the first visit, after the third time I decided I'd had enough. The moldy can of soda I received with my order was the final straw. We wont be eating there again.

Pros: convenient location, wide menu choices

Cons: staff unpleasant

Fresh Tasting Food - Edit

Manatee Cafe is a great lunch spot with a variety of sandwich options with fresh veggies. I loved the addition of sweet potatoes in many of the sandwiches and wraps. My wrap was bursting with flavor, veggies and tasted very healthy! The hummus was a little heavy on the garlic but was still quite tasty. Friendly, accomodating staff!

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Friendly Staff, Fresh ingredients

Cons: Hours

It's okay... could be better - Edit

We (four of us) stopped in the Manatee Cafe on purpose on a recent trip to St. Augustine (we looked it up and made a point of going there). I thought it was just okay. I had a rueben type sandwich. The food was alright, I've had much better in vegetarian restaurants. The staff was not the friendliest. I was excited to go to the place and left feeling disapointed.

Return to St Augustine Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Manatee Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3233 times since Aug 2007.