Mana Foods

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 808-579-8078

49 Baldwin Ave (at /on Maui), Paia, Hawaii, USA, 96779

A moderate size store that's very well-stocked with everything at reasonable prices. Fresh fruit and vegetable includes local and organic selections, bulk staple, frozen and refrigerated food, packaged dried food, plus a vitamins and supplements section. The in-house bakery makes fresh breads and pastries, including vegan and wheat-free cookies and cakes. The deli features salad, hot foods, prepared raw food, natural juices, changing soups, and sushi. Has a drinking water machine inside as well as a soft serve machine with one dairy and sometimes one non-dairy option. Housed in a rustic, old building and has a parking lot beside it. Mon-Sun 8:30am-8:30pm

First Review by veganpastagirl

Everything we needed at Mana - Edit

Mana was our go-to stop for vegan takeaway everything, including groceries, while we visited Maui. We paid more than if we shopped elsewhere, but we loved the convenience of having everything vegan in one stop. The salad bar and hot bar were both stocked with as many choices as we could handle. We also purchased baked goods, deli-packed desserts, dips and dressings, and raw kefir parfait for breakfasts. Mana was a great option for convenience of shopping and taking meals when restaurants weren't open, though parking was not always convenient. The Mana parking lot several blocks up the street always had spaces, but sometimes we were lugging bags of groceries in the dark.

Pros: Incredible salad and hot bars, Great variety, freshness and takeout, Good dessert selection for takeout

Cons: The cost adds up, not the best value, Parking is not always easy

Favorite Grocery Store in Hawaii - Edit

Mana is a Maui destination in itself. You will find everything here, packed into a relatively small building (they even have a kitchen gadgets section that stocks lemon zesters). They carry a large section of beautiful organic and local produce, and they even had my favorite Japanese potatoes (organic and local). Besides their produce, I also bought a couple of prepared lunch items to take on a trip to Upcountry: a vegan hummus wrap and vegan tofu spring rolls. Both were delicious and reasonably priced. This is a must-visit market, especially if you are vegan (their prepared items are clearly marked). I hear their vegan chocolate cake is spectacular.

Pros: Huge selection of everything, Beautiful procduce section, Organic and local products

Cons: Parking in Paia can be tricky, They were out of vegan chocolate cake :(

Everything for my trip - Edit

This medium size market has everything I need for when I visit Maui. I have been there on two or three trips and always happy to shop there. A bit homespun and totally local which I like. Good vibe and happy wholesome veg eats all around.

Awesome! - Edit

Really enjoyed shopping here, friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere, much better experience, pricing and selection than commercial shops like Wholefoods.

Really good selection of fresh produce. Spent a lot of time here.

Would be even better if they were entirely vegan :)

My favourite Health Food Store - Edit

I've been going here for as long as I can recall. I love their selections, especially their Raw Food!
Updated from previous review on Friday July 18, 2014

Pros: not outrageously expensive, friendly people, some of the best raw food I've ever had

Cons: they don't pay their employees too well, they throw away a lot of food

Great store - Edit

I've shopped and gotten food from the deli at Mana Foods on all past trips to Maui. Am here in Maui, December 2012, and here's my Mana Foods review update.

The market is situated in the heart of Paia town where locals mix with tourists who come to shop and eat at restaurants. The building looks rather old but once you walk inside, it's a different story.

The store is totally well-stocked with everything one could want. Great fresh produce including local fruits and organic veggies. Large dry foods selection. Awesome baked goods made in-house in their own bakery. Eco friendly babies stuff, organic clothes. A natural health and supplements section.

The deli, depending on the time of day, is generally okay. There is a good size salad bar in addition to daily soups, cold deli food, sushi, cakes, and raw food desserts and savories. There are plenty of vegetarian vegan options. I've eaten food from the deli numerous times. The nori tofu rice rolls (daytime only) are filling and tasty. My complaint would be that the food can sometimes taste too salty and a bit oily.

Overall, Mana is one of my favorite places to shop in Maui. There is a grassroots feel about it, kinda bohemian and very earthy.

Pros: veg-friendly deli & bakery, great selections, okay prices

Cons: deli food quality sometimes inconsistent

stoned hippys munchie dreamland - Edit

Wow, wow, wow! You would never know from the exterior what a vegan wonderland is housed inside. There is an innsane selection of vegan cookies, cakes, scones, cupcakes, etc. There is also a deli and salad bar that is well stocked with great vegan dishes. The best thing about manna is that they seem to have every flavor of everything they stock from bars to cookies to ice cream.

Pros: vegan baked goods, deli

good selection - Edit

They seem to have a lot to choose from, are well staffed with nice folks, and have quite a hopping HF scene going on. I try to divert my attention from meat at HF stores, but I do think I saw some here. Still, we got a few things here on different visits and would tell anyone to do the same. The lot next door is public and all day.

Pros: nice folks, selection

Great store - Edit

What a wonderful store! It was the only place on Maui that I found that had a full selection of vegan items at decent prices. I ate at the food bar and got an eggless egg salad roll and a tuna-safe toona roll--both excellent and only cost $2.50 each! They do carry meat which is a bummer.

Pros: Selection, Cost, Food bar

Cons: Carries meat :(

Great Deli! - Edit

They have such a great variety of vegan food, salads, vegan breads and cookies even carrot cakes and chocolate pies. We didn't know what to choose. Very good prices and friendly people. It's a great place to buy stuff to take with you on the way to Hana or for Picnics. It's interesting that is the only market in Paia and it's organic. So expect some crowds depending on the hour.

Pros: Vegan, Organic, Cheap

Extremely uncomfortable at this store!! - Edit

Last year my husband and I (young, broke and on government assistance) were given the chance of a lifetime to go to Hawaii to stay with his sister! We were given 2 roundtrip "buddy passes" from a friend who works for Delta as a wedding present. It took us 4 days to get to Hawaii (we were on standby the whole time) and we were using our wedding money for food, hotel stay etc. along the way. I realized when we were in Paia that we could actually use our foodstamps from NY because we were so low on cash..remember, this trip was GIVEN to us. We went into Mana foods and purchased a few sandwiches etc. and when I went to use my card, the cashier began rolling her eyes and getting really pissed off at us...COMPLETELY JUDGING US! So what if we have food stamps? Its NY food stamps..not Hawaii...we werent taking the Hawaiian residents food stamp money! And yes, I understand she probably thought we were rich vacationers...not staying with family for free...but, where's the love? Its great that Mana foods is all for animal rights but what about the Ethical Treatment of People?? And you know what? One day after we shopped at Mana foods they placed a sign out front BANNING food stamps until further notice. What the hell? We felt like intruders and extremely uncomfortable. I will never step food in that store again...and I will definitely tell my vacationing family not to as well when they visit my sister in law on Maui.

Ashley Neff

Pros: Good food

Cons: pricey, rude workers

Return to Paia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mana Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2526 times since Aug 2007.