Mana! Fast Slow Food

• Vegetarian
Contact 28511611

92 Wellington St, Central District, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Organic, vegetarian, fast slow food concept restaurant, est, 2012. Menu ranges from gluten-free brick oven baked flatbreads with toppings of your choice, to tofu and halloumi burgers, to raw vegan ice cream. Large take-out menu, food wrapped in paper-only eco-packaging. Food waste is sent to be used as fertilizer, resulting in almost zero food waste. Near Central MTR.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Raw, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by sglcklch

Top 5 Restaurants for Eating Vegan/Gluten Free in HK - Edit

This is probably hands down the most popular vegan cafe in Hong Kong, at least from my observation. And it's among my my Top 5 Restaurants for Eating Vegan/Gluten-Free in Hong Kong. (Link in the end)

Mana serves extremely fresh and healthy food in their menu, from ready made salad, to gluten free flats (made from buckwheat I believe) to power smoothies, drinks, burgers, fries, and to the raw vegan desserts and cakes. Anything you can think of or crave in the fast food world, they have their healthy version. Their menu does not have a super wide variety of choices in each category, but the best part is you get to customize your salads and flats all you want, which a lot of other similar restaurants don't offer.

For example the salads: The way you order is you choose a size and you get to choose 4 or 5 bases from their ready made salads and add your additional toppings with extra costs. My favorite combo is the kale salad with lemon dressing and spinach salad with toppings of avocado, grilled portobello mushroom (my fave! :P), sprouts or rocket. They can jam pack their small container to the fullest and it can make a very satisfying meal! On the side note, their raw vegan gluten free coconut cake is to die for! Don't pass by if you happen to see it still being available on a busy night.

After you order and pay they actually give you a beep for when the food is ready so you know hen to come and pick up. That's why they are pretty efficient with a busy business. How cool is that!

My only complaint is that not all items they offer are vegan and sometime they don't make it explicit. Their spinach salad would have cheese in it so you need to be careful when ordering.

My ratings:

Flavor - ★★★★★

Environment - ★★★★★ (Filled with amazing health-conscious people like you!)

Price - ★★★★☆ (Around $100HKD for a healthy and satisfying meal.)

On the side note, one of the staff told me just the other day that they offer a 5% discount if you bring your own container.
Another way to get discount is to join their membership. $500 HKD for the membership card and there will be a $400 balance in your card. You get 5% discount forever. I don't know if that's a good deal.... But they do have member events as a benefit.
Location - ★★★★ (in the heart of central SOHO and very easy to find, )

Vegan/gluten-free options: ★★★★☆

Overall - ★★★★☆ (What's not to love?)

Recommendation: Salad & Vegan Raw Coconut Cake

See relevant photos and the full list of my Top 5 Restaurants for Eating Vegan/Gluten-Free in Hong Kong: t.cn/R5f7GjD

Pros: Fresh, Tasty, Affordable

Cons: Cash

Best of Hong Kong - Edit

I don't normally write reviews, But I just had to write one for this one. The atmosphere is cool and the theme is well organized. Best of all, the food is out of this world. For their signature wrap, You can pick 4 fillings out of about 12. All of them are great. The best part is taking different combinations each time, making it feel different every time. We ate about 4 times from the place. Definitely worth the money.

Apart from the wrap, they have desserts and drinks. Which I feel sometimes is too expensive. But I don't mind spending the money even just to support them.

Pros: Wrap and different combinations

Cons: Desserts maybe on expensive side

just great! - Edit

A happy place in HK - great food - you have to try the chia-pudding :) - I will definitely go there again
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 24, 2016

Pros: Friendly staff, Healthy, Tasty

Cons: Small Spot

tiniest/cutest @ HK - Edit

The tiniest and cutest place we visited in Hong Kong.
Popular with the locals and Hollywood celebrities alike (waited on line with one of the latter :-)).
Food is delicious. I had the best balanced balck-bean soup ever (usually killed by excess cumin, this one was amazing!).
Would love to have the chance to try more of their food.
The choice of building your own combination makes the tasks of exploring even more challenging :-)

Pros: location, tasty and multiple combination options, coziness

massive wraps, very environmentally conscious - Edit

The wraps here are huge, be warned. Very tasty though. Nice chilled setting if you manage to get a seat.

Pros: nice ambience, very filling healthy food.

healthy and tasty food - Edit

The food there is great. You can have a great kale-salad, or a delicious wraps, burger, some quinoa, raw desserts..
The have a lot of different toppings for the burger and the wraps. They are so tasty! You can eat there, but there is not so much space. But we love the one big table where you can sit with other people and have a nice chat.

Pros: healthy, tasty, great people

Cons: not so much place to sit

mana! fast slow food - Edit

hadn't been here in years. my previous visit was with my parents and i recall that my meat-eating father rather enjoyed his burger and fries for breakfast.

having not tried their flats before, i asked for a recommendation and was suggested the bliss (avocado, hummus, cucumber, spinach; hkd80). it was packed with greens, and pretty filling. i added a maya shake (hkd65), which exceeded my expectations (i was imagining watery coconut juice, but it turned out rich and delicious). staff were friendly, but were chatting among themselves and didn't make an effort to strike up a conversation until i asked them questions.

it was a very expensive breakfast, but the quiet solitude and opportunity for reading time at the back patio made up for it (i was subsequently joined by two other solo diners), until three finance people decided that it was the ideal place to rehearse their forthcoming talk.

although utensils are recyclable, i would have preferred if they had provided non-disposable ones for dine-in customers. i don't think it takes that much time to wash a fork and knife.

Pros: delicious, peaceful courtyard, conducive for solo diners

Cons: expensive, disposable (albeit recyclable) utensils

Great Atmosphere - Edit

The place offers burgers and wraps of which many can be made vegan upon request. The price is reasonably high. (Burger with french fries and salad costs 100HKD.) The restaurant is in a very good location and ideal for visiting during a lunch break at work. The interior is very stylish and it is made for a fairly young demographic. The restaurant also serves vegan cakes although they are also very pricey at 60HKD per slice.

Pros: great atmosphere, fast preparation of food, eco-friendly

Cons: few seats

Huge portions of truly delicious food - Edit

I had a burger, fries, and a large shake, all of which were incredibly filling and delicious. We ate in the semi-open-air seating area out back during a rain storm, which made it feel like we were eating in a clearing in a rainforest, which was awesome. If I lived in the city and could afford it, I would return regularly!

I often judge my meals on how satisfied I am afterwards, and this meal scored 100%, but at a higher price than any other meal I had in the city. I of course think that good food is worth the price, but it makes me uncomfortable to think that this food might not be accessible to locals other than Western expats.

Pros: extense menu, many juice and drink options, plant-filled seating area in back

Cons: price

Customisable and tasty - Edit

Great wraps, relatively fast service and fantastic for on-the-go food. Seating is limited so I wouldn't recommend Mana for social gatherings. Not toooo expensive.

Pros: Wraps/Salads/Snacks are tasty, On the go food, Vibes

Cons: A little pricey, Too cramped , Could expand menu

Mana! Fast Slow Food, Hong Kong - Edit

Just to update this, I have to give extra kudos to this place for the environmental, recycling and food waste / composting policies.

Updated from previous review on Thursday February 05, 2015

I had dinner here tonight. Its defo a café rather than a restaurant. There's a small table by the window and some stools alongside the wall. There's open air seating either outside or up stairs.

I asked the girl behind the counter what was vegan friendly and she was happy to show me through the vegan options on the menu. It's wrap type sandwiches, salad, juices, shakes and that kind of thing. I went for the mezze platter which comprised of toasted flat bread, some leaves, dressing, a couple of dips (one was baba ganush) and some olives. It was delicious as was the banana and cinnamon shake.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food, Great eco policies

Best raw vegan deserts in Asia! - Edit

Hello, I had an ok dinner here and I have to say: they have the best raw cakes in the Asian world! The falafel, burger and drinks were just ok, nothing special or creative or tasty, I would have preferred more veggies inside though, but the deserts made me feel amazing! The deserts make it worth while!

Be careful, the space was limited and the prices were huge.

A thing that made me leave with a bad feeling was that the bathroom is badly located. I got attacked by a huge cockroach (5-6 cm) !!! And the biggest I've seen in my life is a 2 cm, plus I have a phobia for them! I had to run out of the bathroom with my pants down my legs. Thank God no one was waiting on the line... Maybe they can solve these inconveniences. I will be back though for the cakes...:)

Pros: the best vegan raw cakes, no waiting long for your meal, they speak English

Cons: no space, expensive, bad bathroom positioning

Amazing salads and beautiful environement! - Edit

This place serves beautiful huge salads and also juices you can compose,
The desserts are raw and delicious but pretty expensive regarding the size of the portions.
Staff are very friendly and space it's really beautiful with a little patio backyard. I will for sure come back!

Pros: Raw Desserts, Very good salads, Beautiful environement

Cons: Expensive, Menu could be more original

Tasty lunch option near Central - Edit

Loved the flatbreads, really generous with the fillings and so much flavor. The place itself has a really nice atmosphere and a great playlist, and the staff were friendly, helpful and polite. Almost everything is vegan, except for some fillings. The desserts were slightly disappointing - very small slices and the coconut cake tasted like cashews not coconut, I would have preferred it more coconut creamy. It would be nice to have a price difference for the fillings too - cucumber for the same as avocado?? The other thing that confused me was that they recycle everything in clearly marked bins, but everything is also disposable? Which didn't seem to fit. I would have rather seen less packaging and more re-useable containers. Other than that I loved Mana and will definitely go back if I'm in Hong Kong again.

Pros: Good vibe, Good savoury food, Friendly staff

Cons: Small dessert portions, Bad pricing , Disposable packaging

Doubly coming back - Edit

Was looking forward to go to Mana and eat their highly advertised wraps. What can I say...Very disappointing. Both wraps were heavily burnt. Potato fries was also over fried. Usually we would go and ask them to redo that kind of not properly cooked meal, but we were too hungry to wait for additional 20 minutes. The manager (boss?) was not friendly, din't even greet his guests when walked by - there were only two of us sitting outside and he was entering from the street, so he could at least greet or even smile to his guests who have spent 1000HKD in his cafe! The coconut cake was very creamy and delicious but very tiny though. Not sure if we will come back - we can go somewhere else nearby and get more food for this money.

Pros: coconut cake

Cons: the space is super small, pricey, small portions

manafastslowfood Hi there!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. It is devastating to us that you had a negative experience and we are truly sorry that your expectations with us have not been met at your last visit.

There has been very rarely any negative feedback regarding our food so we are very shocked and sorry that the high standards of our food may not have been met in this instance. We would like to invite you to come back to Mana! for an opportunity to make things right. We focus on sourcing the highest quality ingredients (organic as much as we can) and making everything from scratch, so this is definitely something we take very seriously.

On behalf of Mana!, I offer my sincerest apology and would like to extend an invitation to you to give us another try. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for taking the time to review us as we continue to strive to do better.

Delicious wraps - Edit

Mana was a staple food during my time living in Hong Kong. The wraps are generally very tasty - our favourite was the Mana Prana with hummus & the Mana Joy with roasted vegetables. The smoothies were also very tasty. A little expensive, but that is all forgotten after the first bite.

Pros: Amazing flavours, Healthy

Cons: Not vegan, Cramped & generally busy, A little pricey

Best take-away veg food, unbeatable hummus - Edit

Mana! is so good that even my meat-loving friends absolutely adore this place.

I usually get the Mana! Me5 flat (choose your own 5 toppings), and the choices I go with are sprouts, spinach, slow-dried tomatoes, hummus and avocado. So delish, and so satisfying. One flat will definitely leave you full! If it's too much, you can get the half flat, which I think is a great option if you're looking for a light lunch.

My other favourite item on the menu is the daily soup. Their pumpkin soup is hands-down, the best pumpkin soup in HK. Chunks of beauitfully-roasted pumpkin, topped with pumpkin seeds. Talk about healthy protein, carbs and fibre in one meal! The mushroom soup is also fantastic.

Like so many other reviews, I also find the place a little too crowded during lunch time. It's best to avoid the lunch time crowd by going in before 12:15pm, or after 1:30pm. When the weather gets cooler, it's really pleasant to have lunch in the backyard.

If you are a vegetarian and don't know Mana!, you're living under a rock!

Pros: Delicious food, Vegan options, Raw dessert

love!! my favorite place! - Edit

I can't even count how many times I've been to mana, I absolutely love this place! Hands down my favorite place to eat in HK. Everything is just so tasty and the flavors are strong in the best way. My favorite is mana prana +additional hummus (try it!) aside from the amazing food, I also admire all that this lovely little place does for the environment. From using Eco friendly recycled materials to recycling basically everything that is throw away in there. I heard rumors they may open a new location, what amazing news!

Great lunch wraps - Edit

I visited Mana for lunch twice during my stay in HK and enjoyed the food thoroughly. Both times I had a 'make your own' Flat, their version of a wrap. You can choose what ingredients go into it. I did hummus, zaatar, olives, arugula, mint, avocado, tomatoes, etc. The flatbreads are great and the fillings are fresh and tasty. They also have fresh pressed juices that are good.

One thing about the place though...It gets really busy at lunchtime and it is so incredibly narrow that it is uncomfortable. If you are not familiar with the menu, you have to go near the cash register to see the menu boards. But there is usually a long line and barely any room to navigate through. Seating is limited as well. Both times I went, there was nowhere else to sit other than the stools against the wall opposite the deli case/register. Not the most comfortable place to sit, and constantly have to lean in so people can get around you.

Pros: Great flatbread wraps, Friendly staff

Cons: Claustrophobic interior, Limited seating

Great hummus and mayo! - Edit

I often go here and their food is always great. Some of the flats are a little boring, so make sure you choose one which has enough ingredients that you like and are tasty.
Always choose to add hummus to it! ;) It's awesome and should not be missed!

Although the options are not labeled vegan, they will tell you and most of them are anyways.

My favorites: The shakes (especially Inka!), Mana Prana, Mana Nirvana (both with extra hummus) and of course the fries with garlicnaise!

The style of the restaurant is not very inviting and extremely basic (especially in the backyard upstairs), but the food is one of the best "western-fast-food" ones in the city. So don't miss this one!

Pros: Garlicnaise & Hummus, Shakes, Very ecofriendly which is uncommon in HK

Cons: Very basic "decor"

Feel-good, healthy wraps that actually taste yummy - Edit

Interesting alternative to the more common, less tasty healthy food. The wraps here come with a good variety of fillings and options.

Pros: Yummy vegetarian food, Healthy yet tasty

Cons: limited seating

Awesome vegan mayo - Edit

I loved the vegan fries sauces: galicnaise and their ketchup. It's a perfect combination to eat with fries.
Their vegan wraps are all good and I could say the prices are moderate and slightly high, specially for the desserts.

More at: http://walkingvegan.com/mana-vegetarian-hong-kong/

Pros: Quick Service, Great decor, Healthy & delicious

Cons: A bit pricey, Not much seating and uncomfortable

Even an omnivore loves Mana! - Edit

My husband is an omni, I'm vegan an we are new to HK. Mana was was highly recommended by a few people. On a Sunday afternoon, pre-dinner, there was a steady flow of customers. The woman taking orders was new and had to ask about what was vegan or not. I got the Mana Joy (i think?) and hubby had the burger with egg. He RAVED how delicious it was! The garlicnaise was a bit too strong for my liking, so I know to ask for half the amount next time. We ordered the chocolate cake and the coconut cake for take-away. We devoured them! So rich and creamy and no way to tell by taste or texture that they were raw/vegan, except that Mana said so. Our next visit was one week later and at hubby's request! Saturday about 3pm was much more crowded but we found seats at the counter way back outside. I had the mezze plate (yum!) & again he had the burger. It was even better than he remembered! We will be back often!!

Pros: Excellent food, Eco friendly, Varied menu

Great discovery! - Edit

I discovered MANA thru an app I use frequently of the name of locaclick (i think it's both on iphone and android). anyway, you get 5% off so I checked out the place and I was very happy with the menu; a great selection of flats and juices! Would absolutely recommend this place to all my vegan friends!

Pros: healthy

Cons: a bit pricey

Gluten Free Vegan Dream - Edit

I was leery to try this place based on reviews. It was a dream come true for this celiac who was tired and starving. You order and sit or take out. During the ordering process it was obvious the young lady didn't understand vegan. We all know this scenario: I asked what was vegan on the menu, she said everything, I questioned the cheese on menu, she brought me the cheese from the kitchen, cheese was from a goat. Anyway, I asked to speak to the manager who was very informative and helpful. He understood celiac/gluten-free to the "t"--they don't even use the same oven paddle for the gluten-free items. I'm afraid to eat anywhere outside my own kitchen, but after speaking with him I ordered about $50 USD worth of food, it was ready within 5 mins, and I skipped back to my vacation flat. My family loved everything, so much so we're going back for the second night in a row. It appears this was a new establishment which had some bumps, but is making great strides to better serve the community. If you had a bad experience, please give it another whirl!

Pros: Gluten-Free Galore, Knowledgable Management, Quick Service

Cons: It's not in Texas:), May be pricey for some

Mana is from heaven. - Edit

I liked that some of the staff were friendly in a city where customer service is in deficit. The eco friendly nature of the restaurant is a plus. The organic and vegan options are excellent features. The food is tasty and the price is fine if you consider its organic!! The atmosphere is ok, alternate I guess is a way of describing it, but its not comfortable or exactly cozy. Bench seats/table up the tiny stairs are rustic and it could be a good place for a party. I am happy to say there is a toilet and the food doesn't take too long despite it being freshly prepared. One night I went and it was 7pm. There were no flats. This was disappointing because its like the main thing people go there for. The staff were a bit off-hand about it. I guess it had been a long day. Otherwise its a fine place for organic and tasty preps in a city devoted to eating dead things.

Nice place, we will return. - Edit

The name warns you there might be a wait. Food is made fresh and is basic so if you like it differently you need to specify. Expect a wait during lunch. There isn't much seating but many people get food to go so don't let the line discourage you. We each had a wrap and to be honest we should have split one. The juice we had was also filling so we left stuffed. I am happy to see a healthy, environmentally aware place to eat since the Kosmo on D'Aguilar closed.

Pros: healthy, easy to be vegan, knowledgable staff

Cons: seating

Nice and crowded little place - Edit

Mana - Fast Slow Food is a very nice looking small restaurant serving mainly food to go, as it has limited amount of sitting places. The restaurant seems to be really popular among the local office workers and as it is quite a small venue the atmosphere at lunch time was quite hectic. But the service was super friendly and happy.

They have different drinks and smoothies (and also vegan organic cider :) and for example vegan chocolate cake, but the most popular items seem to be their "flats" and salads. The flatbreads have gluten-free and wholemeal options and the toppings selection is great. I chose hummus, grilled tofu, slow dried tomato and avocado to my "flat" and it tasted great. But the portion was really small and quite expensive, 80 Hong Kong dollars. Vegan chocolate cake was quite dry and it was served without any accompaniment.

Pros: Tasty flatbreads and vegan drinks, Good location, Great staff and decor

Cons: Very crowded, Dry chocolate cake, Small portions/expensive

Good for a quick snack - Edit

I was a little disappointed by the very European style of the food here, but I got a decent meal and I was impressed by the gluten free options and the eco cutlery and packaging. Fine for a bite on the go, but not a very relaxing place to sit and eat.

Pros: Quick, Friendly staff, Great fruit/veg juices

Cons: Not much seating, A bit utilitarian

Absolutely fabulous! - Edit

Recently, I went to this restaurant with a couple of other veggo friends and I was blown away!
The menu is small which ensures the execution of the meals is of a very high standard. The atmosphere is extremely cool, and I loved the idea that everything (except the straws) are recyled - even the left over food is put in the compost bin! Their idea to create a sustainable and eco-friendly restaurant shines through, with their home made soap, and water saving tap and toilet.
I was very pleased with the food, I ordered the dahl of the day and couldn't put my spoon down. The prices are great and so are the portion sizes, and the range of food on offer is not only wholesome, but deliciously healthy too!
A perfect place to either pick up a quick, healthy take away or a lovely communal restaurant to sit and get away from the stresses of the day!
I highly recommend this restaurant to not only veggos, but also avid meat eaters!

Pros: Great Food, Great Price, Friendly staff

Delicious! - Edit

I went here when I was in HK taking students on a class trip. My GF coworker and I were both super happy we made the effort to get away for a bit to try out Mana. She had the GF flatbread while I tried the other. Both were delicious and fresh. The toppings were great as is; the roasted eggplant really made my wrap though I agree more variety (marinated tofu maybe?) would be appreciated. I also had a slice of raw blueberry cheesecake which was absolutely amazing.

I felt the prices were fair for Soho and HK. It was similar to what you'd pay in London or Shanghai for the same style/quality. My only gripe is that the indoor seating is very limited & not particularly comfortable. But that's par for the course with fast food I guess. No issues with the cutlery--it seemed to be all biodegradable, etc.

Pros: healthy & delicious, raw & sugar-free desserts, good location

Cons: uncomfortable dining in

Another option in Central - Edit

if you're tired of Life cafe (or want to eat outside of their proscribed eating hours) Mana is a nice option. The flats are delicious and the salads quite tasty. Juices fresh made, vegan and raw dessert options... 2 problems: the first is the waste! Even if you're eating in, you get these terrible paper boxes and bowls, the worst plastic spoons (I cut my lip!!), and the paper straws are so flimsy that after half the juice you have to replace with another. The other problem is that there is VERY little raw-- we took a raw friend there and her only option was juice and raw desserts. Would like to see an expanded raw menu (and some real cutlery for dining in), and they'll see a lot more of me.

Pros: Delicious flat breads, Good price , speedy

A way to go - Edit

They just opened not long ago and at the moment all they had were a tofu/haloumi burger, wraps, drinks and desserts. Flatbread was freshly baked in the brick oven behind the counter so it was all hot and soft when served. GF version available (made of rice flour and allegedly vegan). As much as I liked the bread, filling options were very slim and basic. There were maybe 10 of them with just one protein (hard-boiled eggs). No legumes (unless you count hummus in). I got a wholemeal wrap with four fillings (avocado, hummus, roasted veggies, rocket) for $75 plus $4 "eco-char". Taste was rather flat, even the fresh flatbread couldn't save it. Totally pricey for what it was. I also had a slice of the cashew and coconut oil based raw chocolate hazelnut cake. A tiny portion for $45. Nice flavor but the texture was more like a mousse cake, very rich and creamy with a discernible hint of coconut. Could've been firmer. Except for that one hazelnut on top there was nothing hazelnutty about it. As for the salad bar, you can do a small box for $55 or big for $75. Only four dishes available, same ones every day: quinoa salad, roasted veggies, potato salad and beet salad. None of them looked appetizing and again it lacked some protein-dense food. The least they could do is to throw in some legumes or tofu in there. Staff were knowledgeable and were able to tell me the ingredients in the food. Most of them were friendly except for that one guy with a headscarf at the register. He seemed bothered when I asked about the GF flatbread and just suddenly looked down at his phone tapping away when I was in the middle of ordering. It's just basic manners really. Don't think I will eat here again in the near future until they improve their menu and work on the prices.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mana! Fast Slow Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8731 times since Mar 2012.