CLOSED: Mamma Afrika

Contact 21644406

Schweigaards g 12 (at inside Galleriet, the bus station), Oslo, Norway, 0185

Serves meat, vegan options available. Oslo Ethiopian restaurant. Will accommodate vegans upon request. Note: supposed to re-open Dec 2013 - please let HappyCow if it did or not! AUG 2014 REPORTED SHUT. Open .

Category: Beer/Wine, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by feorag

Mediocre - Edit

I'm a bit disappointed with this place.
They have vegetarian food, but there are only two dishes to choose between.
Also it's hard to tell if they are vegan or contain anything you're allergic to; The staff hardly speak either english or norwegian, and they appear not to understand words like "vegan" or "gluten".
I didn't find the food very interesting, but since this is my first experience with Ethiopian food I can't tell if it's just me or the food.

Pros: Nice environment inside., Good opening hours.

Cons: Hard to communicate with staff., Only two vegetarian choices., Located in a bus terminal.

Great food, nice people - Edit

This is one of my favorite places here in Oslo - it's location is very strange, but the food is really good (only one option for vegans/vegetarians, but who cares as long as it's good!), injeera and different veggies and lentils. I love it! The people who work there are so sweet and welcoming.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

Cons: Location, Sometimes not much people

Authentic and tasty Ethiopian food - Edit

A unit on the first floor of a bus station is not the most appealing of locations, but this restaurant is warm and welcoming. My local guide warned me that it is just round the corner from what passes for a crime-ridden and generally dodgy area in Norway.

The vegetarian choice on the tiny menu is limited to a platter of various vegan items, served on one injera and with another, but there's more food then than you might think. I got two different lentil wats, spinach, cabbage and a potato dish, all individually seasoned and distinct from one another. There was also no compromise to local tastes, and the food was as spicy as you will find in Ethiopian restaurants all over the planet. Best meal I've had so far in Oslo.

Pros: tasty authentic food, lots of it

Cons: Close to dodgy area, limited choice

Return to Oslo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Mamma Afrika closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1791 times since Apr 2008.