Mamehachi

Contact 075-2112469

Chuo-ku, Nabeyamachi 210-4 (at Pontocho District, near Gion), Kyoto, Japan, 604-8015

Serves meat, vegan options available. A traditional tofu restaurant where most dishes are made with tofu and yuba. Much of the menu is based on tofu. On request, vegan version are offered. Staff speaks English. Lunch course costs approx. 2000-2800 yen, dinner course 4600-5400 yen. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 5:00pm-10:30pm. Last orders in the evening taken at 10pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by pincopallino

amazing! - Edit

This is a five star review, but Happycow won't allow 5 stars for places that also serve meat. We came in late May 2016, and the English menu offered a vegetarian set meal. This was probably the best meal we've had in Japan so far, and great value: 7 courses for 4300 yen! Warning: we took the "vegetarian" name at face value, and didn't enquire further. However, i don't think any dashi/fish sauce could have infiltrated the dishes we were served, all simple yet delicious arrangements, based around tofu.

Not serving vegetarian food--disappointed - Edit

We stopped by Mamehachi restaurant and asked if we could order vegetarian options from their menu. We speak basic Japanese , so the problem wasn't communication. The answer from the cook/counter person was "No, Sorry. Everything is made with fish or dashi . " I guess whether vegans can be accommodated there depends on who's doing the serving/cooking.

I recommend Tosuiro restaurant instead for a completely veg tofu meal. The Tosuiro website lists their veg option; we went to the Gion location the last time we
visited Kyoto; Tosuiro has two in downtown Kyoto. The meal was great, with all the varied courses and ceremonial service of a shojin ryori restaurant . Pricey, but special.

Cons: No veg options, Hard to find

Veg-friendly tofu restaurant - Edit

Despite the richness of a vegetables and soy-based foods in the Japanese cuisine, eating out is very often a problem because of the overall present "dashi" (fish broth), which severely limits the choices available to a veg(etari)an. Indeed, quite often you are told at the entrance that everything is made with dashi and even the soy sauce contains it. Mamehachi is one exception: when I said I'm vegan they replied "no problem". In fact, I could choose a wide range of steamed vegetables and tofu and yuba based dishes. The waitress carefully checked what I could and could not eat and served a vegan version of everything I ordered. There are a few dishes which cannot be "veganized" because ingredients are mixed from the beginning (ex. some mayonnaise in a tomato-based salad) but most of the non-flesh dishes (which represent the bulk of the menu) can be easily made vegan. I had dinner there at the last day of the "bon" period (August 16, 2015), paid 7500 yens for three people, including drinks. A full course is more expensive but may be difficult to get a full veg(etari)an option: better to order from the menu.
Ground-level is counter seats, upper floor is Japanese-style with low tables. Staff does speak English and credit-cards are accepted.
From the Hankyu railways station at Shijou / Gion take Ponto-cho direction North, the restaurant is a few minutes walk on your left.

Pros: Wide vegan and vegetarian choice, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Smoking allowed

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mamehachi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.