Mama's Vegetarian

Contact 215-751-0477

18 S 20th St (at Center City), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19103

Casual Kosher Middle Eastern veggie cafe. Offers pita sandwiches with falafels, hummus, and other veggie toppings. Sauces might contain dairy, vegans to ask for non-dairy. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-8:30pm, Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Kosher

First Review by myboyfriendisdead

Good food - Edit

Everything tastes good!! The only problem that I had was that we were concerned about how the sauces were made and the gentleman gave me the impression that egg may be in it but they're okay for vegans? May have just been a misunderstanding but you might want to double check. Street parking is terrible but it's worth the trip.

Cons: Parking

best falafal ever!!!! - Edit

This place has the best creamiest falafel ever!!! the people there are awesome too for the volume they put out. wish they were open on saturdays so i could use their catering abilities.

Pros: best falafel, great prices, friendly people work there

Cons: closed on saturdays

Awesome Falafel! - Edit

The falafel here is exceptional. The pita's are soft and fresh and the whole meal is just overall delicious for a nice inexpensive price!

Pros: Great falafel, Great prices

Cons: Small establishment, Hard to find parking

Best Felafel but not vegetarian - Edit

They have TUNA in the menu. By all conventional and biological norms, it does not count as something vegetarian. The name of the business is misleading. Also this site should change its designation from Vegetarian to Veg friendly. I like their felafel but I was disappointed when I saw TUNA on a chalk board in one of the menus. The other menu on the wall on the right does not list Tuna.

They can sell all the Tuna they want, but they should stop misleading people like me who make an extra effort of changing two trains to get a bite at an all vegetarian place.

Their wash area is too close to the food handing area. There is no barrier that will prevent water droplets from the faucet reaching the food handling area.

Pros: Best felafel, Friendly enough staff

Cons: Hygiene issues, Misleading business name, Not entirely vegetarian

Great falafel & salads, and so quick! - Edit

This place was great! Went there on recommendation of this website for a quick weekday lunch. The guys behind the counter move so quickly they're a blur! The falafel was perfectly made, the best I've had in a long time. Salads on the side of the room were various and all so tasty. Their hot sauces are Really hot.

Whole experience was very satisfying and one of the best meals we had in Philly! This place is clearly very popular at weekday lunch times (there was a steady flow of people the whole time we were eating), and with good reason.

Kosher, Vegan, and the Kitchen Sink - Edit

This restaurant/deli was amazing! It is run by Israelis and is both kosher and vegatarian/vegan. My husband is neither vegan nor vegetarian NOR JEWISH but loved it! It was one of the only vegan places that made him full (and there's a lot of him). Order the falafel: it was extremely good. Great for a fast, inexpensive, and filling lunch.

Pros: Friendly, Inexpensive, Fast

Cons: Nothing, Nothing, Busy

Best Sandwich Ever - Edit

On my recent trip to Philadelphia I had their latke sandwich, and it was amazing! My only regret is that I shouldn't have ordered a side of fries because their sandwiches are a lot larger than they look.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Inexpensive

Cons: Not roomy

Not bad - Edit

Their pitas are soft and fresh, and the prices are reasonable. Nothing really amazing here - just basic hummus, falafel, pitas, etc. For a restaurant with the word "vegetarian" in the title, the staff is surprisingly ignorant of veganism. My friend and I kept asking about ingredients in some of the less obvious menu items, and the staff didn't know anything about it. You'd think that a veg restaurant would make what is vegan and what is not more clear than that. Still, aside from not knowing anything, the staff was perfectly pleasant.

Pros: decent food, good prices

Cons: not vegan friendly

Popular at lunch, and I see why! - Edit

I had a Spinach Boreka and then had to try the Mushroom Boreka. They were quite good. They have a short menu, but the place jammed full on this Thursday at noon. The line moved at a fair pace. I believe this might be Turkish food.

Pros: Inexpensive, Dine-in & sidewalk seats

Cons: Short, but tasty menu, Needs food descriptions

Savory - Edit

My sis and I came here for lunch on a hot summer day. I was surely NOT dissapointed with my falafel, but I wouldn't go out of mmy way to get another when there is far more vegetarian fare.

Pros: filling, not bad falafel

Cons: busy(longish wait)

the best - Edit

i've had all of the falafel in the city and i like mama's the best. they make their own pitas, the falafel is hot and consistently good. not dry like some other falafel places. in addition to the 20th street location (mama's vegetarian) the son's have opened their own joint at 6th and south (mama's grill - not 100% vegetarian as they have shwarma on the menu.) last i checked a small falafel was $3.50 and a large was $5.

Pros: excellent falafel, inexpensive, two locations

Cons: small dining room

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mama's Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5564 times since Aug 2007.