Mama's Restaurant and Baci Cafe

Contact 908-852-2820

260 Mountain Ave, Hackettstown, New Jersey, USA, 07840

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family-run restaurant making northern Italian and southern Italian cuisine, since 1970. Offers a separate, full vegan menu from starters and sandwiches to hot entrees and pizza; has Daiya vegan cheese and veggie sausage and meatballs. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-11:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:30am, Sun 11:00am-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, Italian, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by CharlieBiv

Awesome place - Edit

The staff is so incredibly friendly and accommodating; as soon as you enter the restaurant they ask if you would like a vegan or a gluten free menu. I had a great veggie Stromboli and a peanut butter truffle for dessert. They also have outdoor dining, which I love. If I'm ever in Hackettstown again, ill definitely go back.

great place for vegans! - Edit

First time here. My hey have a separate Vegeterian menu which also has plenty of vegan options. And a separate vegan kitchen. This is the best place around!! My wife and I have been vegan for four years now.

Great place! - Edit

I've had this issue with Happy Cow before, this place deserves nothing less than 5 stars, but I can only give a max of 4 b/c they're not vegetarian.

They have an amazing vegan menu, more extensive than most dedicated vegan restaurants.

The owner came by to assure us about their cooking practices and how we can swap anything out of any menu item recipes if we want, nothing was a big deal.

what is a big deal is they have dedicated vegan grill and cooking space! We were happy to hear that, there's an actual steel divider between the vegan space, the vegetarian space, and then the other space. No mixing at all.

The pizza was great, the whole thing was covered in veggies and cheese, lots of cheese. There was no empty space. So many places with vegan pizza act like it doesn't need cheese or toppings; not here.

The entrees were great, the sausage is homemade and delicious. The eggplant sienna is out of this world. Plus they have great vegan deserts and cappuccino. They have homemade zeppolis; you can get a vegan chocolate ganache to dip them in.

I highly highly recommend this place to all vegans.

Pros: Extensive Vegan Menu, Deserts, Very friendly/knowledgable staff

Cons: Little noise with live band, Styrofoam containers

Love it - Edit

We have been 5 times and there are still vegan items we haven't tried. 2 excellent appetizers - eggplant pisa and stuffed portabella. Not cheap but big portions and fresh veggies. Entrees - eggplant francese is great and definitely different. Luigi's old school has vegan meatballs, sausage and cheese. I had the small meatball parm sub today and it was very good. For $10, I think it should have come with a side salad or something. It's BYOB and always packed. At least a 1/2 hour drive but worth it

Pros: Lots of vegan items, BYOB, Friendly staff

Italian comfort food fix - Edit

I ordered the vegan old school which is baked rigatoni with meatballs and sausage. It was good with some daiya cheese on top. I would have given 5 stars but the vegan options seem to be store bought tofu meats and I guess I was hoping for some homemade vegan meats. Frank Sinatra played... Not a fan

Pros: many vegan options, vegan desserts!, outdoor seating

Cons: store bought vegan meats, music (subjective I know)

Great Vegan Food - Edit

My wife and I (both Vegan) have been going to Mama’s for the last three years

On our last visit my wife had Caldo e Fredo, a mesclun mix with sautéed spinach, warm vegan sausage medallions, tomatoes, black olives and Chianti-basil vinaigrette. I had Vegan Campagna which is broccoli, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes in a sweet sherry wine sauce topped with melted vegan cheese. I added vegan sausage to it and switched the pasta to angel hair. We took two vegan vanilla cupcakes home. As usual, everything was excellent. Especially the cupcakes!

Their vegan menu is extensive with over 40 vegan choices, plus build your own pizzas and pastas, including vegan cheese, vegan Italian sausage and vegan meatballs. (Their description says “veggie” meatballs and sausage, but they are in fact vegan) .

While the wait staff is knowledgeable about veganism, sometimes the new hires need a little extra help. The manager is excellent, so ask for her if you have any questions.

At the time of this writing they offer 4 vegan desserts and soy cappuccino. Next week they said they will be bringing in Vegan cakes and other treats from Vegan Treats Bakery!

They have their vegan menu on their website, but check with your server because they are often adding items.

Pros: Extensive Vegan Menu, Weekend Live Music, Excellent Food

Cons: Sinatra Music After 10PM

Return to Hackettstown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mama's Restaurant and Baci Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.