Malak

Serves meat, vegan options available. Arabic and Spanish cooking with traditional Arabic dishes made vegan. Has hummus and falafel, plus coffee and desserts. Food served at all hours. Free Wi-Fi.

Category: Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Arabic, Non-veg

First Review by Louxsie

Solução Vegan em Santiago de Compostela - Edit

Espaço agradável e limpo!
A comida estava bem confeccionada tendo quer a sopa quer o prato de espetadas de tofu com arroz um toque oriental dado pelas especiarias utilizadas. No caso do arroz que estava extraordinário a canela dava-lhe um sabor muito particular.
A repetir!

Happily surprised! - Edit

It's not very often you get a range of tasty vego or vegan options in spain. The food was great. I had a delightful vegan dinner and dessert. definately a food victory.

My husband is not vego and also had a great meal.

The owner speaks english very well, and is very kind and attentive. We are only here in Santiago de Compostella for two nights and plan to be back again tomorrow!

Pros: Good number of vegan and vegetarian options clearl

Cons: Nothing I can think of.

great vegan cuisine! - Edit

I got the vegetable curry and the vegetable/carrot soup. It was really really good! The owner is so sweet, and he speaks English! Everything is marked either vegetarian/vegan/gluten free - nice menu, and everything is freshly cooked! I can highly recommend this place! I went there with some omnivore friends, they also liked it a whole lot :)

Pros: a lot of vegan options, free wifi, English menu and host

Cons: a bit expensive, but you get value for money

Wonderful vegan and veggie food at Malak - Edit

After 6 weeks on the Camino trail anything good and veggie would have done. Thus though passed all expectations , hummus starter was beautiful and creamy , though vegan , and the tofu curry was the best I have ever tasted.

Pros: excellent food and customer service, would give it 5 stars but the option only allows 4

Delicious, friendly, thoughtful - Edit

Malak is not only serving delicious home made, fresh food. They are the nicest people too making the whole dining experience one to remember. The menu is vast and different to anything I have found travelling in Europe. They are able to adapt anything on the menu to any food allergy sufferers. For example, my friend is allergic to nuts and they cook it there and then, therefore she could literally have anything on the menu, sin nueces / frut de secos!

Being vegetarian living in Spain is not easy when dining out, due to my job being in hotels a lot. I feel blessed to stumble upon this restaurant and I would recommend to anyone.

Pros: Vegan / Veg options galore & cater to all, Delicious exotic meals, good portion sizes, Great staff members and atmosphere 5*!!!

fantastic!!! - Edit

I loved this restaurant. I had the tofu curry and the spice combination was incredible. The owner is very friendly and really cares about the quality of food and your experience. the Palestinian dessert crepes were delicious.

Pros: lots and lots of vegan options

Cons: a bit more than what you're probably used to on th

top location, amazing food, moderate prices - Edit

top location, just on the edge of the old town, 5min walk from the cathedral.

the food was amazing, well presented and not too salty. I had falafel entry and korma tofu curry. prices are moderate I'd say.

the only downside was the rather small portions. I have to say we were pilgrims on the camino to santiago (hungry)

Pros: location, food

Best veggie food in Santiago (and maybe on Earth!) - Edit

Malak's was nice and handy for my hotel so I popped in for a look, and it was so darn good that I went back twice in my three day stay in Santiago. While it's not a veggie/vegan place entirely - there are burgers and seafood on the menu as well, I think - the veggie/vegan selection is huge in comparison to anywhere else in town, and utterly delicious. Menu is largely Arabic/Middle Eastern in flavour - falafel, curries and devastating desserts. From memory I think 4 of the 5 starters were v-friendly, most of the mains could be veganised (I had coconut milk instead of cream in my tofu curry, for example), and if you don't love the Kataif Ramadan dessert you must have had your taste-buds surgically removed! :-) The mint and sage teas are both excellent, the wines really good too. Don't be put off by the diner-ish look of the place; the food, atmosphere, and the welcome all make this my go-to place next time I'm in town. Johnny the front of house host is a complete charm and a very friendly chap; I felt like I'd met a kindred spirit before the end of my first meal there. Even the menu sends you on your way with a blessing and an assurance that you'll be missed when you leave. That could come across as twee in some places, but with Malak's you walk away feeling it might actually be true. And it's certainly true that I'll miss Malak's. I fell in love with Santiago de Compostela, and no small part of that came from walking through the door of this delightful restaurant. Can't recommend highly enough! (I'd give it a 5-star review but the site won't let me as it's not veggie, but it's a 10-star place in my book.)
Updated from previous review on Friday July 17, 2015

Pros: Awesome food, lots of it 'vegan-able', Lovely atmosphere and welcome, Very reasonably priced

Cons: They don't do deliveries to the UK!!! :)

Return to Santiago De Compostela Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Malak closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1094 times since Jul 2014.