Maka by Mana

Contact 808-579-8078

115 Baldwin Ave (at Maui), Paia, Hawaii, USA, 96779

Vegan raw food restaurant owned and operated by the Mana Foods market since Dec 2014. Offers fresh juices, salads, raw entrees, and raw cakes. July 2016 reported no longer using honey in drinks. Open Tue-Sat 10:00am-8:00pm, Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, All Raw

First Review by VeganChefJeff

Creative vegan food - Edit

Great place to get a creative vegan food. I had their interpretation of Hawaiian plate lunch which was fresh, healthy and super tasty. Also the chili was outstanding. The smoothies are fresh and unique, e.g. using the locally grown lavender. Moderately priced for Maui. Overall great experience. Highly recommended.

Healthy and delicious - Edit

I ordered the twisted beet salad, the texture and flavor were amazing. I will definitely come back next time I visit Maui.

Pros: Fast and friendly service, Nice ambience

Cons: Honey used in some of their smoothies

Ample delicious menu, friendly staff - Edit

We ate at Maka twice while visiting Maui, and ordered takeout on another occasion. Each time we ordered different items, each of which was tasty, satisfying, and novel. We ordered specials a couple of times, but also ordered off the menu. We loved the Reuben sandwich and the falafel with flatbread, as well as the pies in the cooler. The salads were incredible. One of the nights we called for hours and cut it close arriving before the kitchen closed. The staff took our name and accommodated us for seating even though the kitchen technically closed before our arrival, because we had called ahead. Each visit offered the same standard of service. We even found that even eating at a table at Maka was less expensive than grabbing takeout from Mana.

Pros: Great selections, all vegan! (Except honey), Super service, hip atmosphere, Delectable food across the menu

This is just okay, a fancy sandwich cafe - Edit

This is just a fancy sandwich cafe, no real entrees. It would be nice to have entrees on the menu and more variety than a bunch of sandwiches/wraps. Vegan food, even raw vegan food can be amazing and this is just boring.
Service sucks. It doesn't seem as if the servers know their jobs.

Pros: vegan, raw, ambiance

Cons: serice, menu

Absolutely impeccable - Edit

I highly recommend Maka. The staff is knowledgable, the menu has a full range of vegan offerings: salads, soup, entrees, desserts, juices, and smoothies, and the atmosphere is clean and friendly. The food here rivals that which you would receive at the finest vegan establishments in big cities on the mainland. My table ordered all over the menu, and I was able to take a bite of everything. There is no one dish I would recommend over the others! The dish presentation is amazing, and the dessert options are more than you could imagine. There are both raw and cooked options, all organic and locally-sourced. The only thing non-vegan here is bee pollen which is used in one of the smoothies. Go to Maka by Mana if you are visiting the island, and if you live Maui, don't wait another day!

Pros: Friendly and knowledgeable staff, Large range of options, Menu is descriptive, easy to order

Cons: Absolutely NONE

My Favourite Place to Eat! - Edit

I live in New Zealand and when we visited Maui, we ate at Maka by Mana almost everyday.

The waffles were so delicious, salads were to die for and everything in general was amazing.

Having tried raw vegan restaurants all over the world, Maka by Mana is definitely my favorite. Perfect balance of flavours, you can eat till you're super full but still feel good and not sluggish.

Their lilikoi mouse cake, coconut keffir ice cream with waffle, all their salads, juices, smoothies and mains are so YUM! The staff are great, atmosphere is awesome and Mana Foods is just down the road for grocery shopping.

Can't say enough good things about this place.

*I did not see any honey/ bee products on their menu, but I went before their hard launch.

Pros: Everything!

Best and healthiest restaurant on Maui! - Edit

Maka is just getting going now.. dialing everything in. But their food is AMAZING. Everything is organic. The raw pies, made with coconut kefir, are to die for. Only about 5 entrees now, but much more coming. Great atmosphere, incredible kombucha, insane desserts, YES! The prices are awesome, considering the quality and the organicness

Pros: HEALTHY, AFFORDABLE, ORGANIC

Cons: all other restaurants are not like this!

MAKA! - Edit

Owned by Mana Foods, Maka was open just two weeks. Very light, bright and comfortable. Mostly raw vegan, though they use both honey and bee pollen. Remember to ask is my advise. I had a Kale Keasar and an open faced Cultured Coconut Kefir Cream Cheese Sandwich and my wife had Tempeh Savory Waffle sandwich and two desserts. All were excellent as was the service. still a bit sketched out a bit by the use of honey and hope it was not used in any of our dishes, nonetheless an awesome meal and kudos to the folks at Mana Foods for bringing such a great, affordable, vegan friendly dining spot on Maui. Oh, super affordable as well. Our bill was only 45$ for all that great food. Only 4 stars due to honey and bee pollen. GO ! You won't regret it.
Day 2: We went back for more it was so excellent! We had the Tempeh sandwich and the Coco-Teri Cutlet sandwich (young coconut flesh cutlets) which was mind blowing, and coconut slaw salad. Chef sent us a taster of two desserts as well Coconut Kefir Mocha Mousse and 3 asst. truffles. So affordable, delicious and well presented! On Maui? Go eat here!!! Kudos to all the crew at Maka by Mana Foods! Well Done!
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 07, 2015

Pros: Service, Food, atmosphere

Cons: Honey, Bee pollen

Return to Paia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maka by Mana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2335 times since Jan 2015.