First Review by TristramWilliams

This is where food becomes spiritual art - Edit

Eating at Maji's was no less than a spiritual experience, served to us on a tray of meticulously crafted dishes, which, when brought together they way they were, looked like a rare colorful flower, a mosaic of textures and flavors and utter joy to the eye, the tummy and the soul. A dramatic statement? Perhaps, but it's truly so!
We ordered the set menu, which consisted of a round tray symmetrically divided to all sorts of small dishes (the petals, if you may), each one being so interesting, unique and delicious. Sometimes we had to wonder for a moment about what it is that we're eating, until it hit us: a melon! cabbage leaf! mushroom! Radish! - as we never had them before. The dishes had mystery to them and you could feel how much attention was put into every detail - from appearances to flavors. Since the portions weren't big, it made us savor every tasting and really be in the moment, excited with every bite.
The tray came with lotus tea, a spicy herb soup and pine nut rice wrapped with lotus leaves, which was almost too beautiful to bite.... (we couldn't resist though)
Overall, eating there I finally understood the uniqueness of temple cuisine, and how creative cooking can be a gate to a new appreciation of life. No kidding!

Pros: Delicious, diverse and unique dishes, friendly, English speaking staff, eating here is an aesthetic experience!

Cons: none :)

My favorite in Seoul - Edit

Owner is so nice and speaks very good English. She always takes time to talk to the guests and the food is prepared with love. The restaurant itself is clean, spacious and pretty. You could totally do dates here :-)

Serves temple food, but also classic Korean dishes such as bibimbap. Prices start at 7000won and always includes side dishes. Located really close to exit 6 of Naebang station.

Pros: Pretty, Nice owner, Good food

Great! - Edit

I went in at a quiet time and the staff were really friendly and helpful. They recommended one of the set menus and it was all delicious. Everything on the menu is vegan and it's beautifully presented at the table. One of the chefs came out to check everything was okay during the meal. A big thumbs up! It's quite a large space and very comfortable. I will definitely go again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food

Well worth it! - Edit

This place is really excellent. It's maybe slightly pricier than your average Korean Restaurant, but still cheap by the standards I am used to! Good sized meals between 10000 and 20000 won. The food is delicious- so much so I went twice in two days last time I was in Seoul. It's traditional Buddhist temple food, so no garlic or onion, but is certainly not short on flavour. Highly recommended.

Pros: great food, Charming Host, not expensive

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maji closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.