Maitrea

• Friend

Tynska ulicka 6 (at Praha 1), Prague, Czech Republic,

Centrally-located vegetarian restaurant, behind Tyn's Church and one block off Old Town Square. Features a unique, all custom wood interior and buddha water fountain. Offers local Czech hemp beer in addition to a varied menu with tapas, daily specials, hot meals, salads, and desserts. English menu is available. Affiliated with the popular Lehka Hlava-Clear Head restaurant, also in Prague. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-11:30pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, International, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by gr8vegan

Good foog and central location - Edit

The location is a big advantage because it's near the astronomical tower. As a tourist then, very convenient. I liked the food and the decoration is nice, similar to the restaurant Clear Head in the same city. Also the food is same style, probably they share owner. However, the satff was not specially friendly.

Pros: Good food, Central location, near the astronomical tower, Calm atmosphere

Cons: Not very friendly staff, Dairy products in many dishes, not all vegan

Nice to try vegetarian Polish food - Edit

We had the goulash and a Polish dish with I can't remember the name of. Nice food. I liked that they gave the option of trying local dishes. Good atmosphere too.

Beautiful place, lovely food - Edit

Beautiful restaurant with a varied menu. Vegan and veganisable dishes are clearly marked offering a reasonable choice, with Czech, Asian and European options. I had bruschetta, paella and a raw apple strudel all delicious.

Pros: Good vegan choice, Friendly efficient service, Delicious food

Cons: Not all vegan

Amazing experience! - Edit

Loved it! Excellent food with so many vegan options on the menu! I love the peaceful interior and kind and professional. Definitely worth a visit (or two, or a million)! I also feel, that people are a bit more connected there in the spiritual way. Just be sure to make a reservation!

Pros: excellent food, peaceful interior, kind staff

peaceful place and Good food - Edit

We tested this restaurant late in thé evening and found it very pleasant. the atmosphère was cosy and the food was excellent. I ate thé vegan goulash and the raw Cheesecake. seems to be à small restaurant but thé restaurant is downstairs.

Pros: peaceful atmosphère , excellent food, Good Cheesecake

Great place - variety of options - Edit

Great place to have dinner with friends: plenty of options, very nice atmosphere and the service was really nice. The food was great.

Excellent! - Edit

They had plenty of vegan options on the menu and they could easily make vegetarian dishes into vegan, for example the BBQ burger which was amazing ? Unique interior!

Great vegan options in a beautiful atmosphere - Edit

Myself and my boyfriend had an amazing evening here. He had the veggie burger and potatoes. I had the peanut noodles and nachos. We both had raw cake afterwards and it was absolutely delicious.
Downstairs is absolutely beautiful but you definitely need to reserve.

Pros: Variety of vegan choices , Great drink selection , Best raw chocolate cake

Cons: Service slow for dessert , Have to reserve

Why there's a tap water charge?! - Edit

The food is good and the place is very designed. we ordered a burger and Udon noodles that we really enjoyed from. BUT why do so many dishes aren't vegan? (like the burger buns). The vegan selection is very small compared to the other vegetarian restaurant. we asked the bill and then we saw 60 (!) CZK charge for 3 cups of *TAP* water. I asked the waitress and she told me that that's a "filtered" water. Feels like a totally scam to me.

Pros: Good food, The restaurant design

Cons: Bit expensive, Small vegan selection, Charge for tap water!

Cosy place - Edit

Cute and cosy. Lots of options and very tasty.

AMAZING - Edit

Great food, great atmosphere. Visited with Husband and four kids ( 18,16,13,9) We all loved it!
Something for everyone and a very clearly marked menu ( very useful as I can't eat soya)
Very highly recommend a visit.

Pros: Excellent food, Great decor, Reasonably priced

Cons: Busy because food is so good., Could possibly do with another kids option.

Delicious - Edit

A non-vegetarian friend recommended this place to me for my trip and said it was his best meal in Prague. A wonderful recommendation! I was so excited to get my food after struggling in a meat-loving city. Yummy and cozy.

Pros: good portions, nice vibe

Cons: none

TOP TOP TOP - Edit

Le Maitrea, dans un cadre très chouette, ethno-fengshui-moderno-mystico-classe, nous a ravis avec sa cuisine végétarienne/végétalienne et ses plats très réussis. Le goulash végétarien est super, la saucisse de tofu est à tomber...
Le service n'est pas le plus serein du monde, étant donné le succès du lieu, mais cela ne gâche en rien le repas!
N'hésitez pas à réserver pour être sûr d'avoir une place!
J'en salive encore!

Pros: CADRE, MENU, CUISINE

Lovely Reaturant - Edit

This is a really nice restaurant with excellent food. It's smaller portions and more expensive than other places, but the restaurant is beautiful and the food is high in quality. The vegan things are labeled well. We got a split pea soup, hummus with tortillas, the udon peanut main, and the cheesecake and raw chocolate cake. The only thing where improvement could be made is the main was oddly sweet (spicy would have been better). Overall really great eating experience! Would recommend eating downstairs as that's where all the character is!

Highlight of our holiday - Edit

The restaurant in comfortable and cosy with excellent staff who are attentive and smiley. My boyfriend had the goulash one night and the spinach quesadilla another. Both were tasty. I had the Bohemian Plate which was fantastic, then the mushroom meatballs with udon noodles. They do a Spicy Tea that is flavoured with ginger and brown sugar - it was absolutely divine and the pot was neverending! I also tried their Honeydew Grog with orange and honey, it was boozey and warming, a real treat.
Along with it's sister restaurant ClearHead, Maitrea is the finest vegetarian restaurant you will find in Prague. Don't even think twice about it, just go!

My favourite in Prague - Edit

There are some great places in Prague and some fantastic Vegan food available, for me Maitrea was my favourite.

We opted to sit downstairs, reservations are a good idea it's busy here. I was so glad we chose downstairs, the atmosphere and ambience really is wonderful. I loved the decoration and the water features were so relaxing!

I chose an udon noodle dish for main, which although quite simple, was very well flavoured and cooked. Dessert was a raw cheesecake, again very tasty. There are plenty of Vegan choices here and if I wasn't traveling with my non vegan son, I'd have eaten in here daily! I'm hoping to return some day soon.

Pros: Ambience and atmosphere, Great Vegan choices, Fresh food

Beautiful place near the Old Town Square - Edit

My whole family went to a nice dinner here and everyone loved it. All vegetarian but offers a nice range of vegan and raw dishes. I would highly recommend trying the shared starter (lots of different spreads with amazing vegan bread), the udon noodles and any of the desserts, really.
The staff were very friendly and well-informed.
Great for nice dinners, dates or just a casual lunch.

Pros: All food tasted amazing, Nice decor, Friendly staff

Why your HUMMUS IS NOT VEGAN?! - Edit

A buddha-yoga-spiritual-whatever vegetarian placed in a city center of prague. It is placed in the basement of and old building, so no air conditioned needed even in the middle of summer. The food is tasty but for me there are too few vegan options. And tell me, why the hummus is not vegan? In contrary, the udon and curry are really spicy and tasty, such as expected to be. And foe dessert chocolate-caramel-blueberry cake, delicious! The final was not so good, because it was quite pricy and did not allowed to pay with credit card.

Pros: very good food

Cons: expensive, too few vegan meals, only cash

Return to Prague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maitrea closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.