CLOSED: Maia's Restaurant

322-2222597

Calle Pulpito 120-A (at entre Amapas y Olas Altas), Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, 48380

Serves meat, vegan options available. In the Villa Mercedes Hotel in old town section of the city. Uses local and organic produce to prepare modern Mexican dishes. Decorated with contemporary local paintings in a pleasing atmosphere. Reported closed, Jan 2018.

Categories: Lacto, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by jjeatswell

We Gave It A Couple Of Tries - Edit

The chef and owner of Maia was previously chef at a very well known fancy restaurant in downtown Vallarta. Back then, I'd called in advance to make a reservation to this restaurant and since we were a vegan party, I asked if they could make a special meal for us, they asked the chef and he agreed since it was low season. He very kindly made a three course meal for us and it was mind blowing; we had a foamy jalapeño gazpacho with avocado, an amazing salad and some delicious grilled veggies... truly one of the best vegan meals we've had in our lives, we were very grateful and pleased, it was a great experience. So when we found out he had his own restaurant Maia we didn't hesitate to go and try it. They had some vegetarian and vegan options but to our surprise, the food was not half as good as the one we had at the other place. We ordered the lentil ceviche and it was way too salty, a bland veggi burger, nothing special. We thought we've had bad luck and decided to give it another try later and we did, only to end up disappointed again, so unfortunately, we never came back which is a shame, since I beleive he is a great chef, but I also beleive, he doesn't have a good menu/concept. I know he can do so much better.

lovely experience all around!! - Edit

this is a great restaurant on all levels-excellent food, creative and tasty drinks,
attentive service and fun decor. we actually ate on the terrace near the pool, which was really nice. the indoor seating has a fun, bright vibe to it. the chef spoke with us, he was very kind and is committed to using fresh produce. over a week's stay this was our favorite meal. it's not expensive (for whatever reason happy cow says it is), and the portions are very good. enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice vibe

Return to Puerto Vallarta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Maia's Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.