Maharaja

Contact 551-6162

Gion Ryokaku Bldg B1, 267, Kita-gawa, Gion-Cho, Higashiyama-ku (at 5 minutes from Keihan Gion-shijyo station), Kyoto, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. An authentic Indian restaurant in Kyoto with an entire page of vegetarian main dishes. Basement location, so look for it.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by jennjt

delicious and veg friendly - Edit

This was a home run in the ballpark. I was missing Pakistani/Indian food in this very meaty/east Asian food land of Japan and was comforted and pleased by this restaurant. Super authentic and just the right balance of flavor and spice (we ordered the mild). I absolutely loved the Okra and Eggplant curries. The naan was also super fresh (it was vegetarian, Not vegan, because of the fresh ghee spread over the naan for serving). The pakoras were good. Samosa not so good to be honest. The Saffron Kulfi was AMAZING. Also they served us a classy tomato carrot soup, which almost tasted non-veg but apparently it was all vegetarian. The whole meal was super satisfactory and I loved the warm service. The only major cons about this place are: the samosa (I would pass), and the TV screen (Bollywood couples making out. Not appetizing).

Pros: vegetarian curries, authentic

Cons: tv entertainment

Best Indian Food Experience In Kyoto - Edit

Perfect location for tourists close to some of the most popular traditional sites. It was mostly empty at 12:30 for lunch, but I can't understand why. The food was delicious, service pleasant and price reasonable. 990 yen paid for soup, salad, choice of 10 curries, 14 drinks and unlimited bread or rice.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 26, 2014

Pros: Location, Price , Selection

Cons: Bollywood Music

serves great food but overcharges - Edit

This was a welcome break from tofu and foods that may or may not be made with dashi. But beware...if you would like a refill of your tea, you will be charged an additional 400 yen per cup. Mind you, this is black tea (not chai) so 400 yen is already overpriced. My husband and I paid 1600 yen for plain tea!! Besides that, our bill was still about 400 or 500 more yen than expected (even with the extra charge for rice). Stick to water, watch your bill (which they do not present to you at the table--now I know why) and you will do fine. Enjoy the food! Aloo gobi, veggie korma and sesame naan were all very tasty.

Pros: food

Cons: unfair pricing

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maharaja closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2365 times since Mar 2011.