Maha Restaurant

Contact 03-9629-5900

21 Bond St (at Springs Rd), Melbourne, Victoria, 3000

Serves meat, vegan options available. A fine dining restaurant that offers separate vegan menu. Also has a degustation menu. Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-9:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by Aloo

This place is THE BEST - Edit

Okay, milestone birthday needed to wine and dine. Contacted Maha - vegan with wheat and soy intolerance - told, 'NO problem, and it wasn't.' Turned up, friendly greeting - 'You're the vegans,' shown to our table then indulged in a night I will never forget - the food was sublime and fortunately (sitting opposite two meat eating guests) not obviously 'meaty' in look or smell. The maitre d', Ross, quivered a bit when we said we didn't want wine that was not vegan, as part of our course and wine matched menu (we suspect not all the vegan wines come by the glass) but he simply said, 'That's not a problem, leave it to me.' He then produced vegan alternatives that were heavenly. Each course was announced by our waiter as he described what we were looking at you could feel your mouth watering. We were the last in the restaurant but at no point did we get a sense we were being elbowed out. All the waiting staff turned up to sing Happy Birthday over my wonderful, perfect, and unusual cake. Afterwards, I found out Maha, is celebrity chef Shane Delia's restaurant and that he had personally over viewed my menu - both to ensure it was vegan, wheat and soy free but to make sure it was perfect for my special event. It is a shame this is not a veg restaurant but do not ignore it for that or you will lose out. What more can I say but - GO THERE! and weep for us who were only briefly visiting Melbourne.

Pros: Fantastic service, Food sublime and different, Very vegan friendly

Special occasion, special place - Edit

Maha is not vegetarian, but don't hold that against it. They do an amazing job catering. If you let them know when you book, they will bring out a vego menu for you to chose from (vegans no probs). I went the vegan banquet last time for a birthday celebration and I was not disappointed.
They take care to provide innovative, beautifully presented dishes that are amazing in the combination and depth of flavours. Even dessert.
Service is impeccable, decor is calming and there is a substantial cocktail/drinks menu.
It's a expensive. But it's worth it to feel really special and looked after.

Pros: Decor, More formal dining, Amazing food

Cons: Expensive, Must book far in advance

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Maha Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2623 times since Oct 2012.