Magpie Cafe

225-366-6885

3205 Perkins Rd (at Merchant District), Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, 70808

Serves meat, vegan options available. A neighborhood cafe. Offers organic coffee drinks, breakfast, lunch, and organic juices. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-5:00pm, Sat 8:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by SteveGrabowski

Magpie is trash - Edit

As a vegan I have tried to appreciate what Magpie is doing for the Baton Rouge community. I appreciate their "effort" to have a farm to table restaurant and vegan options, but I have also found that their vegan options are wildly inconsistent and when I have tried to contact the owner about possibly getting vegan desserts or something always vegan on the menu, he bluntly and rudely shut me down. I have also talked to a local farmer in Baton Rouge who tried to sell his produce to Magpie, and again the owner shut him down saying, "I don't think you could meet our demand, and I would rather just get our lettuce from California." The fist thing wrong with his statement is that this farmer had already proven he could stand up to their demand. The second is that the owner could have at least given him a chance or put forth a bit of effort. The final point is that Baton Rouge Louisiana is no where near California. How can someone put "local" and "farm to table" stickers on every window and every door and then blatantly shut down local farmers and not provided a dietarily inclusive community. I just feel like people should be informed about the type of management at Magpie Cafe before they eat there.

Pros: fresh food, good local art, nice outdoor area

Cons: not local foods, not always a vegan option, rude and disrespectful management

Hidden Gem - Espresso Bar - Edit

Found this place while watching a video web series...had never been, but it was less than a mile away from where I live! Everything is seasonal, local, and organic. Really good stuff!

Video for reference: http://bit.ly/1btlNYu

Pros: Seasonal Food, All Organic, Great people

Cons: A little pricey, Limited Parking

Return to Baton Rouge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Magpie Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.