First Review by TexasVegan

Good food - Edit

Good Indian food, vegan items clearly marked

Pros: Vegan items marked on menu, Good food

Cons: Not all vegan

Madras - Edit

If you are in the mood for some flavorful Samosas, Poori, and delicious Chana Masala then this is the place to go (AFTER LUNCH HOURS)if you don't mind a little grease.

Ironically, the lunch buffet is a bit lukewarm. The lentils on the lunch buffet are soupy and reminiscent of an elderly home. I guess the cooks are told to tone down the flavor and spice for the daily American lunch crowd, but I find this to be a mistake. Another issue is, they don't sell off the menu items during lunch hours. 8(

So if you are in the mood for an interesting, spicy dinner, give them a try, otherwise, I'd steer clear of the lunch buffet.

The dinner menu is it's saving grace, so I'll go ahead and give Madras Pavilion 4 stars.

Pros: Delicious dinner , Convenient Inner Loop Location, Lovely Samosas

Cons: Lunch Buffet

Downhill.. - Edit

This used to be my favorite Indian food restaurant for years! However, the food and service have gone waaaaayyyy down in the past year or so. Their dosas are still worth the visit, but the food almost tastes microwaved and is sometimes stale. They don't have waiters/waitresses..instead the manager and busgirls take your order. Unfortunately, they don't write any of your order down and items tend to come out at separate times...and sometimes not at all. The tamarind chutney used to bring tears to my eyes..it was that good..now it's just a brown watery liquid with a hint of sour flavor. I also found a roach in my tea glass once..that was nearly enough to keep me from going back again ever, but knowing Houston and the fact that roaches out number the humans (and was perhaps unavoidable)..I gave them a few more tries. The last time I went..though..a part of my order was forgotten and several tables that had arrived after me received their food first. My food finally came out cold, greasy, didn't appear fresh, and almost tasted like there was ghee on it. It was very unsatisfying. I may try to go back again since I have a long history with the restaurant, but it's hard to crave it now..knowing how good it used to be.

Pros: location

Cons: pricey, stale microwaved tasting food, no waitstaff

Good typical south indian food - Edit

Location and decor was in a relaxed atmosphere. Food was very tasty, but no surprises. Dosi's were cut to serve the 5 of us as an appetizer, which was nice since otherwise they are hard to share. 4 people got the Tali which was an amazing amount of food for a good price.

Great Indian Food - Edit

I prefer to go for dinner, but many people like the lunch buffet. Great spices and good food. They are very willing to alter recipes to make the customer happy.

Pros: Price, Food

Cons: Atmosphere

I love Madras Pavillion - Edit

The food is fantastic. Most of it is actually vegan and the staff are very familiar with the vegan diet and more than happy to point out what items (whether on the buffet or menu) are dairy free. All you have to do is ask. I hit this place up on the regular because it's one of the few vegetarian restaurants that is anywhere near my side of town. It's also conveniently located just a few blocks down Kirby from Whole Foods. Oh, and try the dosas. That is their specialty.

Pros: great food & service, convenient location, reasonable prices

Cons: N/A

Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Madras Pavillion closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.